Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
canderson has no particular reputation at present
EU to Swiss Power Strips

Hey there,

Did some searching maybe someone here has the same problem. My house is full of swiss outlets but majority of my items use USA or EU plugs (desktop computer, etc) and the adapters block the trio outlets for use. Instead of daisy chaining german plug to german power strip to swiss adapter to wall, is there a simple power strip with German outlets but plugs into the wall with a swiss plug?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:19
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,992
Groaned at 287 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 15,531 Times in 8,624 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Hey there,

Did some searching maybe someone here has the same problem. My house is full of swiss outlets but majority of my items use USA or EU plugs (desktop computer, etc) and the adapters block the trio outlets for use. Instead of daisy chaining german plug to german power strip to swiss adapter to wall, is there a simple power strip with German outlets but plugs into the wall with a swiss plug?

Thanks for any help!
Get a German one & change the plug.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:20
Markarina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 936 Times in 468 Posts
Markarina has an excellent reputationMarkarina has an excellent reputationMarkarina has an excellent reputationMarkarina has an excellent reputation
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

you might find some if you are really luck, however, I just buy an EU power strip and change the plug on the end to a swiss one, takes barely five minutes and job done
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Markarina for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:26
parkadam's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 382
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 284 Times in 123 Posts
parkadam has a reputation beyond reputeparkadam has a reputation beyond reputeparkadam has a reputation beyond reputeparkadam has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Admittedly the Swiss electrical plugs are the most retarded that i've encountered. Don't know who dumb idiot was that did that.






That said, what you're look for is easy to make if you have some basic wiring skills, just off the plug of of a German power strip and put a Swiss one on...easy. I've done this for a few of my items where I had the time, max 10 to 15 minutes to do easy, just need the right tools. Also if you have US items watch the voltage....i had one very expesive item (2000 Euro), i forgot to flip the 110 V to 220V switch.....and ZAP...smoked my powersupply...a wonderful smell of burnt electronics filled the room. And well, I liked this thing so.....500 CHF down the tubes. (in my case I had a switch..some other applicances may not).


Good luck!
__________________
Long Islander and New Yorker (Upper East Sider in the House!) living in Kanton Aargau.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:31
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,968
Groaned at 1,693 Times in 1,295 Posts
Thanked 31,306 Times in 14,965 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Admittedly the Swiss electrical plugs are the most retarded that i've encountered. Don't know who dumb idiot was that did that.
Actually, I find them to be the best, as they are polarized, unlike German and Italian plugs where live and neutral can be swapped!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:50
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,685
Groaned at 842 Times in 575 Posts
Thanked 9,555 Times in 4,526 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Admittedly the Swiss electrical plugs are the most retarded that i've encountered. Don't know who dumb idiot was that did that.



Why exactly do you say this, just because they are different to EU plugs (as also different to a lot of other plugs.....)
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:53
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,482
Groaned at 267 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 12,088 Times in 5,332 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Some years ago I managed to source some universal power adaptors, each with two AC outlets and 4 USB slots, and woth a computer monitor type input socket.

I've been unable to find them in Europe again since then, but the product was this one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.08.2019, 14:58
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,386
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 15,831 Times in 6,719 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I find them to be the best, as they are polarized, unlike German and Italian plugs where live and neutral can be swapped!

Tom
i actually quite like the UK ones. very roomy to wire up and the wire comes out at 90 degrees so cable profile remains compact against the wall.

while the swiss one wins in socket density per faceplate, the plugs are fiddly to wire, the cables stick out far from the wall, and can often block each other causing problems as the 3-in-1 design means that there's often only one set of 3 wired in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:03
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,841
Groaned at 125 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,501 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
i actually quite like the UK ones. very roomy to wire up and the wire comes out at 90 degrees so cable profile remains compact against the wall.

while the swiss one wins in socket density per faceplate, the plugs are fiddly to wire, the cables stick out far from the wall, and can often block each other causing problems as the 3-in-1 design means that there's often only one set of 3 wired in.
Actually 90 ones can be found in Switzerland as well

https://www.distrelec.ch/de/netzstec...677?track=true
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:09
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,471
Groaned at 414 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 18,510 Times in 7,716 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
i actually quite like the UK ones. very roomy to wire up and the wire comes out at 90 degrees so cable profile remains compact against the wall.
.
The earth wire is also longer inside (by design) so is the last wire to be disconnected when you (or a small child) pulls out the plug - making it safer.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:14
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,386
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 15,831 Times in 6,719 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
The earth wire is also longer inside (by design) so is the last wire to be disconnected when you (or a small child) pulls out the plug - making it safer.
the live/neutral sockets are also covered by plastic and move out of place only through the action of the earth pin.

a safety feature i wish the swiss socket had right now as the little one insists on poking the sockets with his fingers, pencils or anything else he finds on the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:19
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,955 Times in 9,619 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
the live/neutral sockets are also covered by plastic and move out of place only through the action of the earth pin.

a safety feature i wish the swiss socket had right now as the little one insists on poking the sockets with his fingers, pencils or anything else he finds on the floor.
You can get socket covers from bigger Migros or Coop or any of the Do It type places, same sort of thing you can buy in the UK for the sockets over there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:30
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,471
Groaned at 414 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 18,510 Times in 7,716 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
You can get socket covers from bigger Migros or Coop or any of the Do It type places, same sort of thing you can buy in the UK for the sockets over there.
Okay for unused sockets but which does not help at all when the child pulls an appliance plug out first before jamming something conductive into the socket.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:40
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 24,955 Times in 9,619 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Okay for unused sockets but which does not help at all when the child pulls an appliance plug out first before jamming something conductive into the socket.
Dunno. Didn't really affect us anyway because it was never an issue. The sockets were never of interest to little fingers. Cupboards, taps and the bog brush was another thing entirely, though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:45
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,386
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 15,831 Times in 6,719 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Okay for unused sockets but which does not help at all when the child pulls an appliance plug out first before jamming something conductive into the socket.
yes, he's adept at unplugging stuff and also loves to grab my headphones and tries to plug it into the socket
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:46
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,841
Groaned at 125 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,501 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
the live/neutral sockets are also covered by plastic and move out of place only through the action of the earth pin.

a safety feature i wish the swiss socket had right now as the little one insists on poking the sockets with his fingers, pencils or anything else he finds on the floor.
Agreed...although most Swiss houses compensate by having circuit breakers. Rather less common in the UK.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 23.08.2019, 16:03
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,471
Groaned at 414 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 18,510 Times in 7,716 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
Agreed...although most Swiss houses compensate by having circuit breakers. Rather less common in the UK.
It's the RCDs that protect against this rather than the circuit breakers which could just break the circuit when the rated current for that circuit is exceeded (10A) and which may, or may not be combined with RCDs.

Only 200mA is needed to kill you.

All new U.K. houses must have RCDs fitted.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 23.08.2019, 16:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 552
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 612 Times in 287 Posts
LuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputation
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

I'd just buy some Swiss plugs, cut off the US and EU ones and fit them. Less hassle and tidier in the end. I did this on both my moves from UK to Holland and then Switzerland, though I no longer have any of those devices except for my trusted Morphy Richards kettle.

Interestingly in South Africa, they use the old 3 round pin UK plugs!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.08.2019, 16:38
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,342
Groaned at 80 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 15,678 Times in 6,948 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
The earth wire is also longer inside (by design) so is the last wire to be disconnected when you (or a small child) pulls out the plug - making it safer.
You are speaking about the Swiss plug?

Because in case of a UK plug if you are a noob and keep all wires the same length the earth wire will be the first which will detach.
https://www.wikihow.com/Wire-a-UK-Plug
unlike in the Swiss one were it will be the last
https://elektricks.com/elektrostecke...en-reparieren/
Reply With Quote
This user groans at aSwissInTheUS for this post:
  #20  
Old 23.08.2019, 16:50
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,342
Groaned at 80 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 15,678 Times in 6,948 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU to Swiss Power Strips

Quote:
View Post
I'd just buy some Swiss plugs, cut off the US and EU ones and fit them.
and if they are replaceable cords with standard plugs at appliance side ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60...iance_couplers ) just get a bunch of them with Swiss plugs

Like:
https://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/a...-18985274.aspx
https://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/a...-18724874.aspx
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing EU power plugs White Cross Daily life 26 04.12.2018 07:44
Bayer Contour Glucose Test Strips - free to a good home. bowlie Free stuff 1 15.01.2017 13:14
UK Power of Attorney acceptable to Swiss notaire? Raynefr Permits/visas/government 3 13.05.2016 14:36
Power strips for Desktop PC Neurowissenschaften TV/internet/telephone 7 21.07.2014 12:31
Australia to Swiss Power Adaptors Neddles Housing in general 14 20.02.2009 20:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0