Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.09.2019, 14:03
mstaff's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ticino
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
mstaff has no particular reputation at present
Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Hello everyone,

I'll be moving to a small apartment near Mendrisio soon, and would like to ask some questions to people that live (or lived in the past) in the area (including Chiasso and Lugano). I will highly appreciate all answers that I may get.
  • Are people friendly to foreigners?
  • What are the best work agencies/staffing agencies for someone who speaks fluent italian and english (and some french) but has little work experience? I know it's a bit cliche but I'll pretty much take any job at first (should I make another thread for this question in a different subforum?)
  • What's the best gym for free-weights and strength training?
  • Are there any decent sized patches of forest/woods open to the public for camping? What are the rules regarding camp fires?
  • Where can one find raw butter and raw milk?
  • Is there anything that I should be made aware of coming from Geneva?

I'm sort of winging it so it's a bit of a shot in the dark, and I hope to find a bit of light in this forum. I'm in my mid-twenties, I'm finishing up my degree online in a US university and have a B permit if that changes any of the answers. Also, I can't be talked out of it since I already put money down

I'm up to meeting people on this forum; I'm not a "party-er" but enjoy hanging out.

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.09.2019, 14:27
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,960
Groaned at 1,693 Times in 1,295 Posts
Thanked 31,302 Times in 14,963 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Quote:
View Post
[*]Are people friendly to foreigners?
Define foreigner. Around here, we consider people from Mendrisiotto to be Italians.

Quote:
View Post
[*]What are the best work agencies/staffing agencies for someone who speaks fluent italian and english (and some french) but has little work experience? I know it's a bit cliche but I'll pretty much take any job at first (should I make another thread for this question in a different subforum?)
They all suck.

Quote:
View Post
[*]What's the best gym for free-weights and strength training?
Any.

Quote:
View Post
[*]Are there any decent sized patches of forest/woods open to the public for camping?
No.

Quote:
View Post
[*]What are the rules regarding camp fires?
Only in designated areas.

Quote:
View Post
[*]Where can one find raw butter and raw milk?
Most farms.

Quote:
View Post
[*]Is there anything that I should be made aware of coming from Geneva?
No.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.09.2019, 14:47
mstaff's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ticino
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
mstaff has no particular reputation at present
Re: Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Quote:
View Post
Define foreigner. Around here, we consider people from Mendrisiotto to be Italians.
What about Capolago
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mstaff for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 03.09.2019, 15:26
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,960
Groaned at 1,693 Times in 1,295 Posts
Thanked 31,302 Times in 14,963 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Quote:
View Post
What about Capolago
That's still Luganese!

(though I do know some people who consider the Melide bridge as the border)

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.09.2019, 15:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 550
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 608 Times in 286 Posts
LuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputation
Re: Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Not sure why you chose Mendrisio. Nothing wrong with it per se, but there's much more to do in Lugano. USI and Franklin University both have a young crowd who tend to hang out in the centre or round the campuses. I can't recall the names just now but there are a few English speaking groups that meet regularly as well.

Good luck with the move.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.09.2019, 16:22
mstaff's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ticino
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
mstaff has no particular reputation at present
Re: Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Quote:
View Post
That's still Luganese!

(though I do know some people who consider the Melide bridge as the border)

Tom
Okay cool, just trying to figure out what identity to pick up

Quote:
View Post
Not sure why you chose Mendrisio. Nothing wrong with it per se, but there's much more to do in Lugano. USI and Franklin University both have a young crowd who tend to hang out in the centre or round the campuses. I can't recall the names just now but there are a few English speaking groups that meet regularly as well.

Good luck with the move.
Thank you. To be honest, I chose Capolago (thought it was part of Mendrisio) because I would be in between Chiasso and Lugano for job seeking. However, I saw that a train ride to Lugano is only 15 minutes, not sure how accurate it is
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.09.2019, 16:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,960
Groaned at 1,693 Times in 1,295 Posts
Thanked 31,302 Times in 14,963 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coming to Ticino, have some questions

Quote:
View Post
Thank you. To be honest, I chose Capolago (thought it was part of Mendrisio) because I would be in between Chiasso and Lugano for job seeking. However, I saw that a train ride to Lugano is only 15 minutes, not sure how accurate it is
Ooops, my mistake, it is actually just barely in the Mendrisiotto (first town).

15-18 minutes by train, twice an hour.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help - moving to Baar and have some important youth hockey questions. fleang Introductions 3 21.03.2016 12:36
Finally admitted to ETH !! ( and have some questions about the visa ) MinaFekry Permits/visas/government 3 27.02.2012 18:09
Likely moving to CH...have some questions Ttamasle Introductions 11 05.12.2011 22:12
Is it necessary to have a visa ?? and some questions about permit cckkt Permits/visas/government 6 18.03.2008 08:18
I'm going to move to Switzerland!!! :-) But have some questions! doughall Other/general 26 04.09.2007 16:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0