English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   Border Open for Food Shopping (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/298075-border-open-food-shopping.html)

juniovalerio 13.05.2020 00:26

Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Hello. I would like to know if anyone has been to France for food shopping from Canton Vaud / Canton Geneva.

Until a couple of weeks ago, they would charge you 100 CHF for crossing the border for reasons other than necessity

I was wondering if with the relaxation of the confinement measures this has been allowed again.

Thanks!

Kittster 13.05.2020 00:47

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Still not permitted. Source: Friend who works for the Swiss Customs Department.

higgsboson 13.05.2020 00:56

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 3181206)
Still not permitted. Source: Friend who works for the Swiss Customs Department.

Thanks. I really appreciate it if your friend updates us when it becomes allowed again.

Kittster 13.05.2020 08:45

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by higgsboson (Post 3181207)
Thanks. I really appreciate it if your friend updates us when it becomes allowed again.

As you can imagine, he's a busy man at the moment. You can check the situation yourself, here is the link to the customs office webpage: https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/de/home.html The bit about going shopping is only available in the national languages. Before anyone complains about that: It's not the Swiss government's job to pour resources into catering to someone's inability (or refusal) to learn the local language.

I can also assure you that unless you live under a rock, you will KNOW when the border reopens for shopping. Don't drink anything before you set off to go there, the queues are likely going to be spectacular. I just know there will be a thread on here when that happens...

Guest 13.05.2020 08:54

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 3181237)
I can also assure you that unless you live under a rock, you will KNOW when the border reopens for shopping. Don't drink anything before you set off to go there, the queues are likely going to be spectacular. I just know there will be a thread on here when that happens...

Just read the Swiss press.

Would personally suggest not going at all for the first few days after opening. Let the rush die down first.

st2lemans 13.05.2020 09:09

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
I would be surprised it it's allowed before July at the earliest.

Tom

Guest 13.05.2020 09:22

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
You'll see pictures of traffic jams at the border in every paper when they open up again.

And as Tom said it will take some time before foreigners are allowed to flood the shops again.

John_H 13.05.2020 10:09

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
It's a bugger.. My local Carrefour in FR is just as close as my local COOP in CH..

I prefer Carrefour for choice and price of cleaning products especially ..

This stuff is the best kitchen cleaner ever :)
https://www.chezlapaulette.com/pulve...rseille-2.html

MusicChick 13.05.2020 10:13

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 3181287)
It's a bugger.. My local Carrefour in FR is just as close as my local COOP in CH..

I prefer Carrefour for choice and price of cleaning products especially ..

This stuff is the best kitchen cleaner ever :)
https://www.chezlapaulette.com/pulve...rseille-2.html

How much is that thing? Looks awesome..Will fit right in my spring cleaning obsession. My white sneakers will be happy, too.

Why is bleach so popular these days...

John_H 13.05.2020 10:47

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3181290)
How much is that thing? Looks awesome..Will fit right in my spring cleaning obsession. My white sneakers will be happy, too.

Why is bleach so popular these days...

It's about 2.50eur .. Cleans everything and smells great!

MusicChick 13.05.2020 10:53

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 3181312)
It's about 2.50eur .. Cleans everything and smells great!

You sound like my grandma (I wish I had). :D

I must have this magic bleach. Out with the mankines.

Watch out for inhaling the aerosols (or send family away when you spray the counters), btw, if they have it in liquid without the spray, I will get that one I think.

I wonder if that magic bottle counts as "VIP reason for border crossing". Indispensible germ-killing mission.

starDeMer 13.05.2020 12:22

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniovalerio (Post 3181205)
Until a couple of weeks ago, they would charge you 100 CHF for crossing the border for reasons other than necessity

I suppose you want to say fine not charge.

Belgianmum 13.05.2020 12:44

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3181290)
How much is that thing? Looks awesome..Will fit right in my spring cleaning obsession. My white sneakers will be happy, too.

Why is bleach so popular these days...

Thatís not bleach. It soap and sodium bicarbonate.

Kittster 13.05.2020 12:48

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 3181370)
Thatís not bleach. It soap and sodium bicarbonate.

Both of which are available here. The shops have finally cottoned on to providing big packets of sodium bicarbonate too.

higgsboson 13.05.2020 12:50

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Is "picking up a package" considered cross-border shopping?

Belgianmum 13.05.2020 12:53

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 3181373)
Both of which are available here. The shops have finally cottoned on to providing big packets of sodium bicarbonate too.

Yep and itís pretty cheap too.

MusicChick 13.05.2020 12:54

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 3181373)
Both of which are available here. The shops have finally cottoned on to providing big packets of sodium bicarbonate too.

The 2.5 Euro will still be important for some.

ennui 13.05.2020 12:59

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Is there something special about Marseilles soap?

And bleach is hot because it kills pretty much everything.

Guest 13.05.2020 13:14

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Austria and Germany will be opened up on 15 June. I reckon there's a high chance that Switzerland - Austria and Germany will be the same day. Maybe France as well. Italy will still have to wait a while, however.

John_H 13.05.2020 14:12

Re: Border Open for Food Shopping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 3181370)
Thatís not bleach. It soap and sodium bicarbonate.

Indeed, it's a very good degreaser and general all rounder.. The mix of soap and bi-carb works very well..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ennui (Post 3181381)
Is there something special about Marseilles soap?

And bleach is hot because it kills pretty much everything.

As well at how well it cleans, I just love the smell.. Sort of smells clinical , clean, nice.

The brand has a range of cleaners including that one. Others have vinegar, alcohol etc..

Sure you can mix up you vinegar or whatever but these work well and for a couple of Euro, why bother doing your own.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0