Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.06.2020, 19:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, and I joined this forum in order to consult with people who were in my shoes or have experience living in Geneva.

I'm planning to study in the University of Geneva, and I have a budget of 1200 CHF per month provided by my parents.
Here's what I included per month: 450 CHF for a solo flat, 350 for food, 100 for insurance, 83 for uni cost, 45 for bus transport, 20 for hygiene stuff (I'll bring some with me if that's allowed), another 83 for study material, 33 CHF for insurance . Bringing that to a total of over 1200 CHF. Does that sound extravagantly low? I did this calculation based on the uni website, and on my own research. And I'm also couting on uni cost reduction, and also applying to the '1h de service par m˛'. That would considerably reduce living cost for me.

Any feedback would be appreciated, I'm unfortunately not allowed to work untill my 7th month of uni in Switzerland. And also would my visa be refused, if I was only capable of living with this amount of money per month? And how hard is it to find a student job to help alleviate these costs?

Cordially ) Badreddine from Morocco
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.06.2020, 14:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,792
Groaned at 173 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,169 Times in 2,769 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

I'm working so I'm simply going to give you the link of what you get when you google "Living costs studying in Switzerland Geneva": Link. I'm not entirely sure what the university website gave as budget but it seems ludicrously low, having studied in Zurich that is not as expensive as Geneva.

For some reason they have given the costs in Euros but you get the idea.

Your budget is only realistic if you plan to get yourself a part-time job to top up your income and you will not find a solo flat for that amount, even a shared flat will be incredibly hard to find.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.06.2020, 14:29
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,897
Groaned at 32 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 5,521 Times in 2,221 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

You’ll never get a flat for 450.- in Geneva. Even room sharing, it’s unlikely. 100.- is too low for insurance. And depending what you’re studying, you’ll have to spend more on books, even second hand ones.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.06.2020, 14:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,898
Groaned at 247 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,676 Times in 3,138 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Have a look hereto get a better idea of housing costs for Students. https://erasmusu.com/en/erasmus-geneva/student-housing

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.06.2020, 14:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dübi
Posts: 530
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 400 Times in 233 Posts
Jaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of many
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Even uni page: https://www.unige.ch/droit/transnational/en/vie/cout/ says you need 1400-1900 / month.
They include a fee for shared student living of 550 or 700 for single apartment (I guess it's still in dormitory)...

Where did you come up with 450?


Also, they suggest students might consider living in France and commuting... but being from Morocco I am not sure if this is an option.


Basically for apt. look at homegate.ch and for shared accommodation look here: https://www.wgzimmer.ch/wgzimmer.html
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.06.2020, 15:14
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Well, there is this

"Third-country nationals who remain in Switzerland at their own expense must be able to demonstrate their financial resources amounting to at least CHF 100 per day of their stay. Students with a valid student permit are required to demonstrate funds of CHF 30 per day."

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...reise/faq.html

which would seem to put the OP in a reasonable financial position. But I think it's far too low; iirc the Swiss authorities are going to be looking for you to have around CHF20,000 available minimum - and yes, if they think the figure is too low they will refuse the permit.

Atm I would guess most, if not all, student jobs have dried up. What they'll be like in a few months/a year's time no one knows. I wouldn't count on it as part of your financial calculations. The Swiss authorities certainly won't.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.06.2020, 20:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Even uni page: https://www.unige.ch/droit/transnational/en/vie/cout/ says you need 1400-1900 / month.
They include a fee for shared student living of 550 or 700 for single apartment (I guess it's still in dormitory)...

Where did you come up with 450?


Also, they suggest students might consider living in France and commuting... but being from Morocco I am not sure if this is an option.


Basically for apt. look at homegate.ch and for shared accommodation look here: https://www.wgzimmer.ch/wgzimmer.html
Thank you for your reply, about the 450 I got it from the UNIGE's website about their student residences: https://www.unige.ch/batiment/servic...ences-du-blru/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MissiveVolante for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 03.06.2020, 20:29
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,076
Groaned at 365 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 13,931 Times in 6,497 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your reply, about the 450 I got it from the UNIGE's website about their student residences: https://www.unige.ch/batiment/servic...ences-du-blru/
If one is available, you may be on a waiting list first
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.06.2020, 20:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
You’ll never get a flat for 450.- in Geneva. Even room sharing, it’s unlikely. 100.- is too low for insurance. And depending what you’re studying, you’ll have to spend more on books, even second hand ones.
For insurance I got the info about the cost on this website, I found it quite useful tbh : https://studyinginswitzerland.com/co...n-switzerland/
Does it have reliable information?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.06.2020, 20:50
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your reply, about the 450 I got it from the UNIGE's website about their student residences: https://www.unige.ch/batiment/servic...ences-du-blru/
I think you need to look at that again. The cheapest ones are for shared accommodation, i.e. a bedroom with shared facilities. They're not studios which are more expensive. If you're happy to share an apartment, fine but from your post it sounds more like you want a place to yourself which you're not going to get for 450. Cheapest studio is 480 and most are more than that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.06.2020, 20:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Well, there is this

"Third-country nationals who remain in Switzerland at their own expense must be able to demonstrate their financial resources amounting to at least CHF 100 per day of their stay. Students with a valid student permit are required to demonstrate funds of CHF 30 per day."

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...reise/faq.html

which would seem to put the OP in a reasonable financial position. But I think it's far too low; iirc the Swiss authorities are going to be looking for you to have around CHF20,000 available minimum - and yes, if they think the figure is too low they will refuse the permit.

Atm I would guess most, if not all, student jobs have dried up. What they'll be like in a few months/a year's time no one knows. I wouldn't count on it as part of your financial calculations. The Swiss authorities certainly won't.
Thank you for the info, speaking of financial resources, when applying to a visa, do i need 60k CHF at once to demonstrate sufficient funds?? Since this is a 3 year program.
And yes, speaking of accomodation, I'll have to go with that, untill I find work during those first 6 months, it's quite interesting there's a law that students from non-EU nationalities aren't allowed to do any lucrative activity untill having finished 6 months of studies... But anyhow... )
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.06.2020, 21:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
If one is available, you may be on a waiting list first
Yeah, I just now wanted to sign up and I found that no available rooms are available until February of the next year, it's all full I guess
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MissiveVolante for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 03.06.2020, 22:43
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for the info, speaking of financial resources, when applying to a visa, do i need 60k CHF at once to demonstrate sufficient funds?? Since this is a 3 year program.
And yes, speaking of accomodation, I'll have to go with that, untill I find work during those first 6 months, it's quite interesting there's a law that students from non-EU nationalities aren't allowed to do any lucrative activity untill having finished 6 months of studies... But anyhow... )
No, you need the first year as far as I know, but obviously will be required to show sufficient funds for the following year when it comes around.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.06.2020, 23:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
No, you need the first year as far as I know, but obviously will be required to show sufficient funds for the following year when it comes around.
Very well, thanks a lot.
And thank you all chaps for answering!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MissiveVolante for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 04.06.2020, 04:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 13 Posts
neorion has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Well, there is this

"Third-country nationals who remain in Switzerland at their own expense must be able to demonstrate their financial resources amounting to at least CHF 100 per day of their stay. Students with a valid student permit are required to demonstrate funds of CHF 30 per day."

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...reise/faq.html

which would seem to put the OP in a reasonable financial position. But I think it's far too low; iirc the Swiss authorities are going to be looking for you to have around CHF20,000 available minimum - and yes, if they think the figure is too low they will refuse the permit.

Atm I would guess most, if not all, student jobs have dried up. What they'll be like in a few months/a year's time no one knows. I wouldn't count on it as part of your financial calculations. The Swiss authorities certainly won't.
As a student, wouldn't the expectation be to show 30 CHF/day, which is roughly 900 CHF/month? That seems lower than the expected 1200 CHF/month that is your budget.

It seems that the budget it *possible*, but will be challenging given the high cost of living. However, with student perks, you should be able to do it! Don't expect super nice housing, but if you're willing to pinch pennies until you can have the right to work, you should be okay! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.06.2020, 06:41
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
As a student, wouldn't the expectation be to show 30 CHF/day, which is roughly 900 CHF/month? That seems lower than the expected 1200 CHF/month that is your budget.

It seems that the budget it *possible*, but will be challenging given the high cost of living. However, with student perks, you should be able to do it! Don't expect super nice housing, but if you're willing to pinch pennies until you can have the right to work, you should be okay! Good luck!
Yes, as I said but ... It also says "with a valid student permit". The OP doesn't yet have that and I suspect the amount needed to qualify to get one is higher than that 30 a day.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 04.06.2020, 11:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Yes, as I said but ... It also says "with a valid student permit". The OP doesn't yet have that and I suspect the amount needed to qualify to get one is higher than that 30 a day.
I'm sorry, but what does OP stand for?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.06.2020, 11:12
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,076
Groaned at 365 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 13,931 Times in 6,497 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry, but what does OP stand for?

Original Poster = you
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04.06.2020, 11:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Morocco
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MissiveVolante has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign student in UNIGE - Budgetting! Please help!

Quote:
View Post
Original Poster = you
Of course my dutch friend, of course haha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budgeting, geneva accommodation, student accommodation, visa application




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C permit for foreign student? Shoe Freak Permits/visas/government 22 26.07.2021 16:30
Classified as a foreign student Penelopy Education 15 29.08.2019 14:12
Foreign student with summer internship helloswitzerland Employment 0 22.04.2017 18:53
Can I use a foreign health insurance as a PhD student? 20181216a Insurance 4 01.09.2015 17:22
Host a foreign student Moorsholm Commercial events 5 18.12.2013 23:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0