Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.10.2020, 13:52
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

One of my son's teachers is pregnant and will be having the baby in a few weeks. I really, really like her and would like to get a gift for her -- both as a baby gift and as a "goodbye" present since she will be leaving soon and not returning to teaching for a while.

My questions are:

1. Do you think it would be okay for my son to bring her a gift, considering the virus situation and that pregnant women are more at risk? I know that the kids are not supposed to bring in treats to share for birthdays, etc. and that the teachers have been behind plexiglass. Also,

2. If giving a gift is considered okay, does anyone have any gift ideas? I was thinking of getting her one of those baby soothing machines that make lullaby noises and shine a gentle light (e.g stars onto the ceiling). Or one of those stuffed animal-type things that do the same. Our son really seemed to like his when he was a baby.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 24.10.2020, 14:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,943
Groaned at 107 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,395 Times in 2,731 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Is there parents' committee? It might be that they are organising a gift / collection for the teacher.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 24.10.2020, 14:24
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
Is there parents' committee? It might be that they are organising a gift / collection for the teacher.
Thanks. There is some kind of committee but I haven't heard anything from it about organizing a gift for her. Though I do know that the kids are doing something for her, in class -- making her something.

I was just thinking about it a bit more and realized that us giving a gift to her is probably a stupid thing to even consider... because of the virus. I guess it's just that "gift-giving" instinct in me kicking in. But I should use more common sense. I wouldn't want to inadvertently give her the virus by giving her a baby gift.

I wish I knew how SHE felt about it, but then of course that would ruin any kind of surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.10.2020, 14:29
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,901
Groaned at 339 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,554 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

I think it can bring in awkwardness. Or not.

The best received were many bags of hand-me-downs (clothes, toys, books...) that I passed on everyone around, including teacher colleagues. It is ecological, people don't feel like they owe anything and they know it didn't cost anything.

I'd pack that and ask the kid to write a card and mail it to her.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.10.2020, 14:38
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
I think it can bring in awkwardness. Or not.

The best received were many bags of hand-me-downs (clothes, toys, books...) that I passed on everyone around, including teacher colleagues. It is ecological, people don't feel like they owe anything and they know it didn't cost anything.

I'd pack that and ask the kid to write a card and mail it to her.
Thank you for the idea of mailing something to her. I just realized that we do have her home address. Hopefully I can even find something online to order and have sent to her that will also allow me to include a "gift note" or whatever, so she knows who it's from.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.10.2020, 14:41
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,870
Groaned at 32 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,196 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

In my part of the country primary school teachers get gifts at Xmas and often at the end of the school year, and I find it very sweet. I’d totally offer a little attention to a pregnant teacher. A little cute pyjama for the baby or a little toy, with a handmade card crafted by your child.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mélusine for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.10.2020, 15:20
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
In my part of the country primary school teachers get gifts at Xmas and often at the end of the school year, and I find it very sweet. I’d totally offer a little attention to a pregnant teacher. A little cute pyjama for the baby or a little toy, with a handmade card crafted by your child.
Thanks (and for the ideas as well).
Yeah, I always give the teachers gifts for Xmas and when his kindergarten teacher was pregnant, we had given her a gift for the baby. Thanks for the idea of a handmade card, too. I would much rather my son bring the gift to school for her then to have something sent in the mail. I'm just trying to figure out what the best course of action is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.10.2020, 15:36
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,798
Groaned at 81 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 4,865 Times in 2,287 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

I don’t see how your son giving the teacher a gift, is any more a virus risk for her than her going to the shops and buying food etc. Your son could always not “hand it to her” ..... she could take it home and not touch it for a week or wipe it down etc!

(Also don’t see how your son handing it to her is worse than the postman handing something to her you order online!)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.10.2020, 15:49
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
I don’t see how your son giving the teacher a gift, is any more a virus risk for her than her going to the shops and buying food etc. Your son could always not “hand it to her” ..... she could take it home and not touch it for a week or wipe it down etc!

(Also don’t see how your son handing it to her is worse than the postman handing something to her you order online!)
Yeah, I was just thinking something similar to that...

He could just set the gift down in the classroom somewhere and then have her take it the next day or something. (The teachers have no physical contact with the kids now -- everything is done behind plexiglass, even when they get their papers and hand them in, etc.).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.10.2020, 17:08
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,705
Groaned at 202 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 18,346 Times in 7,487 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Clothes suitable for a 3 month old or more. Nappies. That's what my daughter-in-law asked for. People tend to give a lot to the newborn, but they grow! And then some babies are real bruisers (like my granddaughter) and in 3-month old clothing almost immediately.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 24.10.2020, 18:35
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
Clothes suitable for a 3 month old or more. Nappies. That's what my daughter-in-law asked for. People tend to give a lot to the newborn, but they grow! And then some babies are real bruisers (like my granddaughter) and in 3-month old clothing almost immediately.
"Bruisers." Ha haa!

Thanks. Those are good ideas -- nappies and also clothes that will fit the baby later, so they can can grow into them (I have no idea if she's having a boy or a girl, so something neutral-colored, I guess).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.10.2020, 19:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,760
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 7,282 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. There is some kind of committee but I haven't heard anything from it about organizing a gift for her. Though I do know that the kids are doing something for her, in class -- making her something.

I was just thinking about it a bit more and realized that us giving a gift to her is probably a stupid thing to even consider... because of the virus. I guess it's just that "gift-giving" instinct in me kicking in. But I should use more common sense. I wouldn't want to inadvertently give her the virus by giving her a baby gift.

I wish I knew how SHE felt about it, but then of course that would ruin any kind of surprise.
One of my child's teachers has moved to another school in a different canton and our thank you-good bye gift was a big basket with all sort of (edible) goodies, it was up to everyone to choose something to give and we made it from everyone's part. The "committee" has decided so I don't think it's a stupid thing to consider, neither corona times nor any other time.
I've always given a small something at the end of a course, I don't know if they expected it or not or whatever, but they seemed touched by the gesture. I might have spoiled the Swiss.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.10.2020, 21:15
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,901
Groaned at 339 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,554 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
Clothes suitable for a 3 month old or more. Nappies. That's what my daughter-in-law asked for. People tend to give a lot to the newborn, but they grow! And then some babies are real bruisers (like my granddaughter) and in 3-month old clothing almost immediately.
And then some babies never fit the newborn size
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25.10.2020, 10:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,760
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 7,282 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
2. If giving a gift is considered okay, does anyone have any gift ideas? I was thinking of getting her one of those baby soothing machines that make lullaby noises and shine a gentle light (e.g stars onto the ceiling). Or one of those stuffed animal-type things that do the same. Our son really seemed to like his when he was a baby.
Both are very good ideas if you ask me, so one of them would be fine. And a card of course, words can do wonders. We all need them. I am sure your gift will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 25.10.2020, 10:29
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
Both are very good ideas if you ask me, so one of them would be fine. And a card of course, words can do wonders. We all need them. I am sure your gift will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25.10.2020, 15:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,943
Groaned at 107 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,395 Times in 2,731 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Or toys for a slightly older child. My colleagues bought us a wooden-block train that my son got use of once he was able to sit up and pick things up.

I think we ourselves bought one baby-gro that was too small when he was born. Relatives and friends gave us lots of hand-me-downs from their older children.

Quote:
View Post
Clothes suitable for a 3 month old or more. Nappies. That's what my daughter-in-law asked for. People tend to give a lot to the newborn, but they grow! And then some babies are real bruisers (like my granddaughter) and in 3-month old clothing almost immediately.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 25.10.2020, 16:29
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,225
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 3,094 Times in 854 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Newborn parents will receive lots of gifts for baby, and coronavirus doesn't make any difference.

In my experience, giving clothes (especially anything that's been lovingly knitted) are a waste of time - most parents will squeeze their baby into the item, take a quick photo, send it with a thank you by WhatsApp to the giver, and file the item at the back of the drawer, or in the bin.

Most newborn baby clothes that are given as gifts, are already too small, or the baby outgrows them in a few weeks.

Most babies need an endless supply of baby grows, which as a gift is about as cherished as giving someone toilet paper for Christmas. Sure, it'll be useful, but not memorable.

New parents need money, or gift vouchers so they can choose their own car seat, pushchair, toys - or even just to get over the shock of how many nappies wet wipes and baby formula (controversial) that they'll need.

Alternatively, as everyone else will be wondering what to buy baby, you can think about something uniquely for mum, who probably deserves a bit of attention too.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 25.10.2020, 16:49
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,169
Groaned at 60 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 6,565 Times in 2,478 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Pancakes, I like your initial idea of the toy with the soft music and ceiling light. My son loved his too.
Also like HIAO’s idea of the gift certificate as so many young parents do struggle financially. A nice contribution towards something they might need for the baby would surely be welcome.

Regardless of your choice, surely the young mom will be touched by your thoughtfulness. 🌸
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 25.10.2020, 17:06
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,207
Groaned at 222 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,224 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gift ideas for pregnant teacher (and okay to give?)

Quote:
View Post
New parents need money, or gift vouchers so they can choose their own car seat, pushchair, toys - or even just to get over the shock of how many nappies wet wipes and baby formula (controversial) that they'll need.

Alternatively, as everyone else will be wondering what to buy baby, you can think about something uniquely for mum, who probably deserves a bit of attention too.
Quote:
View Post
Pancakes, I like your initial idea of the toy with the soft music and ceiling light. My son loved his too.
Also like HIAO’s idea of the gift certificate as so many young parents do struggle financially. A nice contribution towards something they might need for the baby would surely be welcome.

Regardless of your choice, surely the young mom will be touched by your thoughtfulness. 🌸
Thanks.

That is a good idea -- a gift certificate. I remember when our son was born, we had sooo many things to buy. It was a bit overwhelming. And of course, gift certificates are the kind of gift that everyone likes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
teacher baby gift




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gift ideas please? Belgianmum Daily life 18 18.11.2015 23:11
Men..Gift Ideas Please?? Arena General off-topic 70 10.10.2013 20:32
Cash as a wedding gift – how much do you give? ne6ef Family matters/health 33 13.06.2012 16:10
Gift for teacher Belgianmum Family matters/health 21 28.06.2011 12:08
Gift Ideas Guest Daily life 45 22.12.2009 13:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0