Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.01.2021, 18:49
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,864
Groaned at 52 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,219 Times in 2,436 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
British expat(?) killed in avalanche

Avalanche deaths keep going up. Until today 14 and there are at least 3 moths before the end of the season :/ https://www.thelocal.ch/20210119/is-...alanche-deaths
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.01.2021, 19:05
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 2,791
Groaned at 182 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 5,177 Times in 2,086 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

The snow situation has been particularly bad recently with loads of snow, wind and weak old layers. Don't think that has much to do with Covid. If you think it is less risky to go touring at level 4 than to spend 10 mins masked in a cabin lift, then you are stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.01.2021, 19:16
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
Avalanche deaths keep going up. Until today 14 and there are at least 3 moths before the end of the season :/
89 Avalanches (with people involved), 122 people affected
https://www.slf.ch/de/lawinen/unfael...e-aktuell.html

Dead: 9 free rider, 5 ski tourers.
https://www.slf.ch/de/lawinen/unfael...e-aktuell.html

On average there are 140 avalanches (with people involved) and 220 people affected per season.
https://www.dora.lib4ri.ch/wsl/islan...n).pdf#page=49

On average 24 people die each season in avalanches.
https://www.slf.ch/de/lawinen/unfael...atistiken.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.01.2021, 19:29
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
89 Avalanches (with people involved), 122 people affected
https://www.slf.ch/de/lawinen/unfael...e-aktuell.html

Dead: 9 free rider, 5 ski tourers.
https://www.slf.ch/de/lawinen/unfael...e-aktuell.html

On average there are 140 avalanches (with people involved) and 220 people affected per season.
https://www.dora.lib4ri.ch/wsl/islan...n).pdf#page=49

On average 24 people die each season in avalanches.
https://www.slf.ch/de/lawinen/unfael...atistiken.html
What you have to remember is as the pistes are closed, there is much less avalanche protection going on & less off piste skiers to stabilise the snow after each snowfall. Risk was 4 yesterday (High risk) & 3 today (Considerable risk) Obviously lifts & the villages below are being protected, ski pistes not.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 19.01.2021, 19:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 410
Groaned at 24 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 661 Times in 265 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
What you have to remember is as the pistes are closed, there is much less avalanche protection going on & less off piste skiers to stabilise the snow after each snowfall. Risk was 4 yesterday (High risk) & 3 today (Considerable risk) Obviously lifts & the villages below are being protected, ski pistes not.
I realise that I still have so much to learn about the mountains. I dream of going ski touring in the future but just focusing on improving my technique on the piste for now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.01.2021, 19:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 903
Groaned at 157 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 841 Times in 451 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
What you have to remember is as the pistes are closed,
which pistes are closed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
which pistes are closed?
I haven't checked recently, but didn't some cantons, Graubunden springs to mind, say they were not goig to be opening, back before christmas? No idea if they now have, but yes, the latest fatal avalanche was in Verbier which I'm pretty sure is fully open, just like we are on the swiss side of the PdS.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:19
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ZH
Posts: 691
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 1,329 Times in 411 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

I think all resorts are open in Graubunden too actually. Kanton Schwyz had their slopes closed for a while, I think. St Gallen too. There was also an avalanche death in Klosters over the weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:19
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,746
Groaned at 75 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

GraubŁnden is one of the cantons that has kept open continuously. Still open.

Quote:
I haven't checked recently, but didn't some cantons, Graubunden springs to mind, say they were not goig to be opening, back before christmas? No idea if they now have, but yes, the latest fatal avalanche was in Verbier which I'm pretty sure is fully open, just like we are on the swiss side of the PdS.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:24
Izzt89's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich, Zug
Posts: 152
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 139 Posts
Izzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
I haven't checked recently, but didn't some cantons, Graubunden springs to mind, say they were not goig to be opening, back before christmas? No idea if they now have, but yes, the latest fatal avalanche was in Verbier which I'm pretty sure is fully open, just like we are on the swiss side of the PdS.
I was skitouring in Graubunden last week - From the bus / car we saw the ski slopes were open.

Please be extra careful -- 14 deaths by avalanche in CH on 2021, last 7 on the last weekend, and ALL of them last week were off-piste skiers, none ski-tourers (which are the usual victims). Lowest at 1300 m altitude.

An idea here -- quoting Napoleon: "What if the enemy would appear now, to the east, to the north or to the west?".... ALWAYS ALWAYS mind your surroundings, and ALWAYS, before jumping into any slope, think on which is going to be your EXIT strategy, would things go pear-shaped.

At this rate, it will be a very unfortunate record year. As Ace states on his previous postings, Risk 3 does NOT mean average risk!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Izzt89 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 410
Groaned at 24 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 661 Times in 265 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
I was skitouring in Graubunden last week - From the bus / car we saw the ski slopes were open.

Please be extra careful -- 14 deaths by avalanche in CH on 2021, last 7 on the last weekend, and ALL of them last week were off-piste skiers, none ski-tourers (which are the usual victims). Lowest at 1300 m altitude.

An idea here -- quoting Napoleon: "What if the enemy would appear now, to the east, to the north or to the west?".... ALWAYS ALWAYS mind your surroundings, and ALWAYS, before jumping into any slope, think on which is going to be your EXIT strategy, would things go pear-shaped.

At this rate, it will be a very unfortunate record year. As Ace states on his previous postings, Risk 3 does NOT mean average risk!
Thanks, warning heeded!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Polymath for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:30
Izzt89's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich, Zug
Posts: 152
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 139 Posts
Izzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
Skiing areas are now having to deal with skitourers who go down the slopes at night. Because the snow cats are busy grooming after 5 and quite often use long cables to help them, staff are afraid there may be deadly accidents on the horizon. Melchsee Frutt is offering Wednesday evening skiing for skitourers to satisfy the demand.

Ski touring has become more popular through the years but this year it has taken a real jump. The OP's warning is spot on.

Not an 'usual' type of accident... but there is a well known case of it: One of the heirs to the Spanish throne decapitated himself with a cable on a 'closed slope'. The NY times put it (very PC) as 'severe lacerations to the neck...'

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/01/o...-accident.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,130 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
British expat(?) killed in avalanche

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55718701
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19.01.2021, 20:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,686
Groaned at 344 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,442 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British expat(?) killed in avalanche

Oh no, we have many British friends who live in the area.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19.01.2021, 21:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,130 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

British guy killed today in avalanche
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55718701
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 19.01.2021, 21:18
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British expat(?) killed in avalanche

Avalanche risk was 4 which is HIGH, spontaneous avalanches will occur, they should not have been off piste.

Couloir skiing is dangerous as you likely have no escape route.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 19.01.2021, 21:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: British expat(?) killed in avalanche

Quote:
View Post
Avalanche risk was 4 which is HIGH, spontaneous avalanches will occur, they should not have been off piste.

Couloir skiing is dangerous as you likely have no escape route.
FWIW it was "only" a 3, considerable. But in current conditions here at the other end of Switzerland I wouldn't be going off piste in any questionable terraine just yet.

https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bull...bulletins.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 19.01.2021, 21:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British expat(?) killed in avalanche

Quote:
FWIW it was "only" a 3, considerable. But in current conditions here at the other end of Switzerland I wouldn't be going off piste in any questionable terraine just yet.

https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bull...bulletins.html

As it happens most people die when the risk is 3, you are right it dropped this morning

Still spontaneous avalanches on steeper slopes when 3, a large group adds to the risk due to the extra weight on the snow. 10 people in a couloir WTF!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 19.01.2021, 22:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Skitouring & Splitboarding - not lookin' good for 20/21 season

Quote:
View Post
I was skitouring in Graubunden last week - From the bus / car we saw the ski slopes were open.

Please be extra careful -- 14 deaths by avalanche in CH on 2021, last 7 on the last weekend, and ALL of them last week were off-piste skiers, none ski-tourers (which are the usual victims). Lowest at 1300 m altitude.
Actually long term slf statistics show about 1/3 of victims are off-piste skiers. Not so few.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 19.01.2021, 22:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,686
Groaned at 344 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,442 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British expat(?) killed in avalanche

Please do share the details as and when you get them. As said, worried about many friends.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Expat in Basel toddler play dates Lynz Introductions 1 11.01.2018 16:40
British Expat looking for apartment-hunting suggestions near Werd, Enge, Bellevue Serenemindipity Introductions 9 13.03.2015 09:13
British couple killed in horrid accident Anthony1406 Daily life 0 19.02.2013 23:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0