Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.05.2021, 10:38
sailorimc's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location
Posts: 208
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 61 Times in 32 Posts
sailorimc has no particular reputation at present
music school change

Hi All
Moving from one Gemeinde to the other Gemeinde put me in front of a challenge.
My child was required to stop doing the music courses at the previous school from the old Gemeinde and obliged to be moved to the music school of the new Gemeinde. Initially we got a kind of 1-year exception but now the new music school refuses to give us another exception.

Given the good relationship of my child with the previous teacher, my child refuses to go to the new school. So, now, no music school at all. Which is a sad decision, but i cant force this decision and I am somehow between hammer and anvil.

However, i have been told by another parent that i could beg the new school for a long term exception. But this info is not official or written somewhere so is like a kind of word of mouth. BTW: the child is still in the previous regular school(Volkschule)

Does any of you faced such a situation and what was your approach(of course if you want to share it) ?
Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.05.2021, 12:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 401 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,324 Times in 8,769 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

I'm not sure I understood correctly, you live in the new Gemeinde but your son still attends the old school, in the Gemeinde you moved from?



Quote:
View Post
Given the good relationship of my child with the previous teacher, my child refuses to go to the new school. So, now, no music school at all. Which is a sad decision, but i cant force this decision and I am somehow between hammer and anvil.
I would encourage him to give a chance to the new teacher too, whoever that is. Attachments like these are touching, however - life is about changes. How does he know he won't like the new teachers as well?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 31.05.2021, 12:57
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,492
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,245 Times in 3,304 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

I don't really understand what "music school" is - I'm guessing extra-curricular music lessons that are free?? Why don't you see if the teacher offers private lessons and pay for your kid to go to them?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,861
Groaned at 147 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,112 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
I don't really understand what "music school" is - I'm guessing extra-curricular music lessons that are free?? Why don't you see if the teacher offers private lessons and pay for your kid to go to them?
Not free but subsidized by the Gemeinde. This is why they are typically only for Gemeinde residents.

And yes, for music lessons, if you have a teacher that works, it is not an easy decision to switch to a new one. I would talk to your old Gemeinde music school and see if you can pay a higher, non-resident rate. Or talk to your new Gemeinde and see if they would subsidize your kid's old Gemeinde music school to have your child be able to continue there.

Or talk to the music teacher and see if you can get a private arrangement set up that doesn't go through the Gemeinde. In our Gemeinde music school, the teachers normally work with a few different schools.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:18
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
......
I would encourage him to give a chance to the new teacher too, whoever that is. Attachments like these are touching, however - life is about changes. How does he know he won't like the new teachers as well?
This. Plus it can be good and interesting for the student to change the teacher, a big part in music is artistic and different influences are enriching. Maybe your child can see it from that perspective too.

Quote:
View Post
Hi All
Moving from one Gemeinde to the other Gemeinde put me in front of a challenge.
My child was required to stop doing the music courses at the previous school from the old Gemeinde and obliged to be moved to the music school of the new Gemeinde. Initially we got a kind of 1-year exception but now the new music school refuses to give us another exception.

Given the good relationship of my child with the previous teacher, my child refuses to go to the new school. So, now, no music school at all. Which is a sad decision, but i cant force this decision and I am somehow between hammer and anvil.

However, i have been told by another parent that i could beg the new school for a long term exception. But this info is not official or written somewhere so is like a kind of word of mouth. BTW: the child is still in the previous regular school(Volkschule)

Does any of you faced such a situation and what was your approach(of course if you want to share it) ?
Thank you
Why would that be the decision of the new music-school? Do they have to pay the old Gemeinde for it?!
If your child still visits school in the old Gemeinde (until the school-year changes, I guess?) why would it have to change any other classes separately? I'm looking for the logic in this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
This user groans at curley for this post:
  #6  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:22
TinyK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,375
Groaned at 65 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,500 Times in 753 Posts
TinyK has a reputation beyond reputeTinyK has a reputation beyond reputeTinyK has a reputation beyond reputeTinyK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
I don't really understand what "music school" is - I'm guessing extra-curricular music lessons that are free?? Why don't you see if the teacher offers private lessons and pay for your kid to go to them?
Why free? You register your kid the music school and pay money to the bank account of Gemeinde, the same as you pay for Hort. The lessons are usually somewhat cheaper than normal private lessons and you also get reduction for an exam fee.

I'm not sure that the teachers from the music school also teach privately, as they are usually very busy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TinyK for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:24
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is online now
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,269
Groaned at 72 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 5,970 Times in 2,813 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
However, i have been told by another parent that i could beg the new school for a long term exception. But this info is not official or written somewhere so is like a kind of word of mouth. BTW: the child is still in the previous regular school(Volkschule)
Ever talked to the teacher? Teachers are human beings with legs and feet, not roots. You may be fighting a battle for the kid to stay in that precise school and the teacher may just leave for a while for a sabbatical, family reasons, personal reasons....whatever.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,861
Groaned at 147 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,112 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
This. Plus it can be good and interesting for the student to change the teacher, a big part in music is artistic and different influences are enriching. Maybe your child can see it from that perspective too.
An even bigger part is keeping the child motivated. Getting on with your teacher is critical at this age; save that Pollyanna attitude for when the kid is older.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:36
sailorimc's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location
Posts: 208
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 61 Times in 32 Posts
sailorimc has no particular reputation at present
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
I don't really understand what "music school" is - I'm guessing extra-curricular music lessons that are free?? Why don't you see if the teacher offers private lessons and pay for your kid to go to them?
No, it is the so-called "Konservatorium " they are not free and i have to pay an amount which is now lower because the Gemeinde where i live is sponsoring it. Currently the money paid out of the pocket for the current course is 44%. The rest is coming from the Gemeinde.

Last edited by sailorimc; 31.05.2021 at 14:19.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank sailorimc for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:55
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
An even bigger part is keeping the child motivated. Getting on with your teacher is critical at this age; save that Pollyanna attitude for when the kid is older.
Well, I had to google (duckduck) Pollyanna attitude and must say, I'm all for it, as early as possible. It sure got me through the worst time of my life (my childhood) not ever having hear about it.

Unless of course you are a miserable fb/instagram/what-ever ranter and want to make sure your child becomes the same.
Life is all about taking what's there and make the most of it.

I'm glad the OP appreciated the idea, even if it might not be the solution with the present problem.

the-true-pollyanna-attitude/
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 31.05.2021, 13:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 401 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,324 Times in 8,769 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: music school change

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you see if the teacher offers private lessons and pay for your kid to go to them?
Not all do that and besides (in my experience) there's always a pita to fit music lessons and all other..lessons into child's schedule.
So in a way I totally get OP's issue - once you found a convenient arrangement, from all povs, you tend to stick to it.

Quote:
View Post
No, it is the so-called "Konservatorium " they are not free and i have to pay an amount which is now lower because the Gemeinde where you live is sponsoring it. Currently the money paid out of the pocket for the current course is 44%. The rest is coming from the Gemeinde.
One of those occasions when you see the benefits of paying higher taxes in some places.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sport and music at school eireann Education 5 10.12.2016 12:19
International music school Basel b.anja Commercial 0 16.06.2016 10:58
Music school in Zurich ichfarbstift Education 6 03.10.2013 16:09
music school for kids rosanna Family matters/health 2 29.09.2012 02:23
[Meilen, ZH] music school for children Anne K Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 28.02.2008 12:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0