Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #981  
Old 03.08.2021, 14:14
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,945
Groaned at 619 Times in 524 Posts
Thanked 22,171 Times in 11,634 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
The mystery of EF has me spellbound once again! Would still consider myself as a (comparative) newbie, not really au fait regarding various camps, past animosities, running feuds etc. etc. Really striking, for me initially, was the high number of banned users encountered while looking up current and old threads. Unnaturally curious and hoping to avoid a similar fate, I tried to unearth the reason why mods had waved their pink wands at the offending posters in question. My conclusion: in most cases (apart from slightly obvious, short term trolls), the really triggering, offensive post had been deleted or somebody (not necessarily the mod) has very thin skin – what goes on behind the scenes is obscure.
Instead of questioning LIB’s credentials as a not recently very active mod or poster, I’d like to suggest a review of the banning process. A mod who has personally engaged in a, let’s say confrontational exchange with a poster, should defer from banning the “offender” themselves.
So far as I remember in the past before people were banned it was claimed there was discussion and agreement in the mod zone, I do not know if they still do that...

Also in the past, the triggering post was deleted on the grounds that if it justified banning then it should not remain in public view, I do not know if they still do that...

#FreeRufusB
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #982  
Old 03.08.2021, 14:33
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Ah, the ominous screeching of moving goalposts.

#FreeRufusB
For months and months and months includes today, yesterday, the week-end and last week.

You're standard answer is till funny though - after all these years of repetition.
  #983  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:10
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
You do realize that mods have been attacked (often badly, personally) for months and months and months now?
I've not seen you comment on that ever.
There has been quite a lot of criticism and analysis of mod actions lately, down to people trying to teach mods what to do. Such posts are being allowed to stand for all to see, quite in contrast to the de-frocked mods who would delete such stuff. It is thus ironic to see people way lyrically about the good old times while writing stuff that would not have been tolerated back then.
The following 6 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #984  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:30
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
There has been quite a lot of criticism and analysis of mod actions lately, down to people trying to teach mods what to do. Such posts are being allowed to stand for all to see, quite in contrast to the de-frocked mods who would delete such stuff. It is thus ironic to see people way lyrically about the good old times while writing stuff that would not have been tolerated back then.
I don't understand. Have you seen me whine about good ol' times here? (About EF - as I do kind of miss the end 70-ies ).
Did I write intolerable stuff here? (Uncomfortable stuff, yeah, but intolerable?)
  #985  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:30
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,945
Groaned at 619 Times in 524 Posts
Thanked 22,171 Times in 11,634 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
There has been quite a lot of criticism and analysis of mod actions lately, down to people trying to teach mods what to do. Such posts are being allowed to stand for all to see, quite in contrast to the de-frocked mods who would delete such stuff. It is thus ironic to see people way lyrically about the good old times while writing stuff that would not have been tolerated back then.
Completely untrue, some threads from many examples
63 posts Dec 2020
70 posts Sep 2020

77 Posts June 2016
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #986  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:35
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Completely untrue, some threads from many examples
63 posts Dec 2020
70 posts Sep 2020

77 Posts June 2016
How there could be issue with your second example, a thread I started beats me. It was closed fairly quickly, just not deleted.
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #987  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:40
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

# Free V__


How many of you did # when people were getting permanent bans by the defrocked ones? At least Rufus's ban is temporary.
The following 7 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #988  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:43
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 294 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 11,133 Times in 4,186 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

So now RufusB has been temporarily banned by a mod? And is that because RufusB had stood up for herself to that mod after that mod had attempted to personally insult her? And all due to a discussion regarding that mod having closed a Trump thread because that mod likes Trump and doesn't want people here voicing their negative opinions about Trump.

Is anyone else beginning to notice a pattern here?
The following 4 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
This user groans at Pancakes for this post:
  #989  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:49
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
How there could be issue with your second example, a thread I started beats me. It was closed fairly quickly, just not deleted.
LOL, an other thread I missed completely.
Who knows, if I seriously kept up to date here I would have deleted my account as well?
Not in reference to this one, fmf, but generally. Surprised to see Lib on place 2 and Castro on 4. Did you ignore Ace1 on purpose?


Quote:
View Post
# Free V__

How many of you did # when people were getting permanent bans by the defrocked ones? At least Rufus's ban is temporary.
You had me there for a moment. But V__ is still alive and kicking now as far EF is concerned?
  #990  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
LOL, an other thread I missed completely.
Who knows, if I seriously kept up to date here I would have deleted my account as well?
Not in reference to this one, fmf, but generally. Surprised to see Lib on place 2 and Castro on 4. Did you ignore Ace1 on purpose?
Most people ignored him, hence is rather low rep count.
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #991  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:52
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
So now RufusB has been temporarily banned by a mod? And is that because RufusB had stood up for herself to that mod after that mod had attempted to personally insult her? And all due to a discussion regarding that mod having closed a Trump thread because that mod likes Trump and doesn't want people here voicing their negative opinions about Trump.

Is anyone else beginning to notice a pattern here?
interesting conclusion.

Lib clearly did not close the thread because there are negative opinions on that thread about Trump. He did because it was an almost one-man-show with links from one single news-paper only and comments limited to punch lines like "you couldn't make it up" only.
And Lib also even explained exactly that.

Just saying.
The following 5 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #992  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:53
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,945
Groaned at 619 Times in 524 Posts
Thanked 22,171 Times in 11,634 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
# Free V__


How many of you did # when people were getting permanent bans by the defrocked ones? At least Rufus's ban is temporary.
We were celebrating
The following 2 users groan at marton for this post:
  #993  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:54
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Most people ignored him, hence is rather low rep count.
You based that list on rep counts?

Nobody loves me then .....

Ah, according to your list many hate me then. If it's for the right reasons that's fine by me.
  #994  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:57
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,983
Groaned at 30 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,552 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Did you ignore Ace1 on purpose?
Quote:
View Post
Most people ignored him, hence is rather low rep count.
Somebody did a bigger tally in the same thread.

https://www.englishforum.ch/3214351-post42.html

Last edited by Ato; 03.08.2021 at 16:01. Reason: How does a person see the amount of rep a poster has?
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #995  
Old 03.08.2021, 15:59
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 294 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 11,133 Times in 4,186 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
interesting conclusion.

Lib clearly did not close the thread because there are negative opinions on that thread about Trump. He did because it was an almost one-man-show with links from one single news-paper only and comments limited to punch lines like "you couldn't make it up" only.
And Lib also even explained exactly that.

Just saying.
It was the "Trump Post-Presidency" thread that was closed by LiB, wasn't it?

It doesn't look like a one-man show to me:

https://www.englishforum.ch/internat...thread-25.html

Coincidentally, I just noticed that LiB appears to have deleted his post at the very end of that thread, where he said he was closing the thread and had accused Marton of not having a life, etc.
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #996  
Old 03.08.2021, 16:04
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Is anyone else beginning to notice a pattern here?
  • Equilibrium restored? FMF is doing a damn good job! He has truly surprised me.
  • People like V__, TC, Me, Amogles etc are sticking up for Biden lovers and asking for the thread NOT to be locked. Even though it was same old. I guess Biden is just too boring to talk about.
  • Rufus's ban temporary, not permanent. I personally would unban her. Even though she can get a bit lippy
I can go on, but I have to go and do some fitness. Relax, the angel of free speech (TTYL) has got everyone's back
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #997  
Old 03.08.2021, 16:06
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Somebody did a bigger tally in the same thread.

https://www.englishforum.ch/3214351-post42.html
Yeah but that one is definitely not to be taken seriously. AfaIk Lib came on later than 22yeards and roegner only last year. Poor roegner on this list looks like the most hated mod.

Yet a wonderful example for my opinion on statistics.
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #998  
Old 03.08.2021, 16:16
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
Somebody did a bigger tally in the same thread.

https://www.englishforum.ch/3214351-post42.html
In your edit you asked how to see the rep scores
https://www.englishforum.ch/xtra/rep_standings.html
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #999  
Old 03.08.2021, 16:18
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand. Have you seen me whine about good ol' times here? (About EF - as I do kind of miss the end 70-ies ).
Did I write intolerable stuff here? (Uncomfortable stuff, yeah, but intolerable?)
was not directed against you. I was just adding to your statement.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1000  
Old 03.08.2021, 16:20
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Deleting My Account

Quote:
View Post
It was the "Trump Post-Presidency" thread that was closed by LiB, wasn't it?

It doesn't look like a one-man show to me:

https://www.englishforum.ch/internat...thread-25.html

Coincidentally, I just noticed that LiB appears to have deleted his post at the very end of that thread, where he said he was closing the thread and had accused Marton of not having a life, etc.
No, the post is there. It was in the petition to re-open the thread - thread.
And just to put it into perspective about the thread not being a one man show, out of 522 posts, marton had 135 posts, the next person was amogles with 45 posts and then Urs Max with 26 posts. . . do you get it now?
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deleting account Hoyley Forum support 7 02.09.2015 10:12
Deleting account, posts and threads leprechaun2009 Forum support 32 13.05.2014 10:52
Deleting own profile HelpmeDude Forum support 10 12.06.2012 19:14
Deleting old posts PlantHead Forum support 28 25.01.2012 22:41
Deleting PMs mirfield Forum support 9 26.08.2011 19:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0