Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.11.2021, 12:19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 224
Groaned at 24 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 235 Times in 85 Posts
Nocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputation
Laminate peeling off - how to repair

The laminate of the underlip of our wash basin is peeling off ( pic attached ). Is there any possibility of repairing this and if yes, who would do this? Called up the manufacturer ( Falper ) but they asked me for details of when we bought the washbasin and from where, which we don't have.
TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
laminate-peeling-off-how-repair-img_20211020_101505-1.png  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.11.2021, 12:46
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,466
Groaned at 686 Times in 534 Posts
Thanked 26,613 Times in 10,738 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
The laminate of the underlip of our wash basin is peeling off ( pic attached ). Is there any possibility of repairing this and if yes, who would do this? Called up the manufacturer ( Falper ) but they asked me for details of when we bought the washbasin and from where, which we don't have.
TIA.
You can buy the strip at Hornbach (and other places). You iron it on.

It looks like you'd need to remove the basin first to gain access.

However, because the laminate has lifted, the mdf/chipboard underneath has probably swollen with water ingress so it may just be easier to get the whole panel replaced.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.11.2021, 13:22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 224
Groaned at 24 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 235 Times in 85 Posts
Nocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputation
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
You can buy the strip at Hornbach (and other places). You iron it on.

It looks like you'd need to remove the basin first to gain access.

However, because the laminate has lifted, the mdf/chipboard underneath has probably swollen with water ingress so it may just be easier to get the whole panel replaced.
Thanks, Tom1234.
What are these strips called or how are they described?
And you are right, for sure the mdf underneath has swollen because of water ingress. I would like to change the panel but would someone fabricate it here given that Falper has only resellers in Switzerland so I am unlikely to get any help from them.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.11.2021, 14:27
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,466
Groaned at 686 Times in 534 Posts
Thanked 26,613 Times in 10,738 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Strips are here. (Kantenumleimer)

Some are self-adhesive but others are have to be put on by the supplier when ordering panels.

To be honest, if the panel is a simple rectangle, because it is not part of a drawer assembly, I would just measure it and get a replacement panel (hopefully the white colour should match).

You may have to cut the old one out but you should be able to fix the new one on with simple right-angles brackets from the inside without resorting to those difficult Ikea-style connectors.

This assumes some DIY skills and tools though!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.11.2021, 14:31
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 856
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,574 Times in 668 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

The new strip will do the same thing if water keeps pooling there. After strip installation, silicone-bead the basin, and make sure everyone towels off the water after use.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bossybaby for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.11.2021, 15:45
squeezethecroc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wallis
Posts: 331
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 531 Times in 221 Posts
squeezethecroc has a reputation beyond reputesqueezethecroc has a reputation beyond reputesqueezethecroc has a reputation beyond reputesqueezethecroc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
The laminate of the underlip of our wash basin is peeling off ( pic attached ). Is there any possibility of repairing this and if yes, who would do this? Called up the manufacturer ( Falper ) but they asked me for details of when we bought the washbasin and from where, which we don't have.
TIA.
You could try cutting an IKEA countertop to size (CHF 40)
https://www.ikea.com/ch/en/p/tolken-...hite-10354703/

and here are the instructions to fit it
https://www.ikea.com/ch/en/assembly_...-1931496-4.pdf
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank squeezethecroc for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.11.2021, 16:32
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,466
Groaned at 686 Times in 534 Posts
Thanked 26,613 Times in 10,738 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
You could try cutting an IKEA countertop to size (CHF 40)
https://www.ikea.com/ch/en/p/tolken-...hite-10354703/

and here are the instructions to fit it
https://www.ikea.com/ch/en/assembly_...-1931496-4.pdf
Hornbach or Coop Hobby und Bau etc will cut a piece of laminated MDF to size and do the edging for you on the cut edges and it's pretty reasonable pricing.

Tip: a piece cut from a large piece will have two factory-made edges and two hand-laminated edges. Fit the piece with the factory-made edges to the outside and top edged as they will be marginally neater and more robust.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.11.2021, 17:13
squeezethecroc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wallis
Posts: 331
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 531 Times in 221 Posts
squeezethecroc has a reputation beyond reputesqueezethecroc has a reputation beyond reputesqueezethecroc has a reputation beyond reputesqueezethecroc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
Hornbach or Coop Hobby und Bau etc will cut a piece of laminated MDF to size and do the edging for you on the cut edges and it's pretty reasonable pricing.

Tip: a piece cut from a large piece will have two factory-made edges and two hand-laminated edges. Fit the piece with the factory-made edges to the outside and top edged as they will be marginally neater and more robust.
Excellent advice.

The IKEA stuff is particleboard, high-pressure melamine laminate, reinforced polypropylene plastic. The normal laminate that you'd use for shelving wouldn't do well in a damp environment, so wherever you get your material from check that it's suitable for the job.

I've had an IKEA under-sink cupboard for several years now and it shows no wear and tear. You may also have to do some cutting to the shape of the sink, but you can use the old stuff as a template.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank squeezethecroc for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.11.2021, 17:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,011
Groaned at 634 Times in 538 Posts
Thanked 22,456 Times in 11,790 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

I had the same problem, I just ran a coat of this stuff over it. If you smooth it off well then it looks OK and it also waterproofs the laminate.
There are similar products from other manufacturers.
Name:  repair.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  47.1 KB
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.11.2021, 18:24
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 224
Groaned at 24 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 235 Times in 85 Posts
Nocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputation
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
Excellent advice.

The IKEA stuff is particleboard, high-pressure melamine laminate, reinforced polypropylene plastic. The normal laminate that you'd use for shelving wouldn't do well in a damp environment, so wherever you get your material from check that it's suitable for the job.

I've had an IKEA under-sink cupboard for several years now and it shows no wear and tear. You may also have to do some cutting to the shape of the sink, but you can use the old stuff as a template.
Clearly, the current shelving is not right for a bathroom. I just looked at the three other cupboards and they are all starting to deteriorate similarly. But I can't manage this IKEA solution because my DIY skills are fairly rudimentary.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.11.2021, 18:35
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 224
Groaned at 24 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 235 Times in 85 Posts
Nocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputationNocando has an excellent reputation
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
Hornbach or Coop Hobby und Bau etc will cut a piece of laminated MDF to size and do the edging for you on the cut edges and it's pretty reasonable pricing.

Tip: a piece cut from a large piece will have two factory-made edges and two hand-laminated edges. Fit the piece with the factory-made edges to the outside and top edged as they will be marginally neater and more robust.

Thanks for this super tip, Tom1234.
This piece is actually the front panel of a faux drawer and is attached to another panel at the back with screws so will be easy to remove.
The only issue is that it has another strip on top ( picture attached ) and I don't know whether I can get a piece like that.
Sorry for looking for some spoonfeeding - I can't speak French and my trips to Hornbach and the like have been traumatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20211108181233_20211108181420_1.jpg (19.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Nocando; 08.11.2021 at 21:12.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.11.2021, 20:49
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,550
Groaned at 92 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 20,158 Times in 8,919 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
I had the same problem, I just ran a coat of this stuff over it. If you smooth it off well then it looks OK and it also waterproofs the laminate.
There are similar products from other manufacturers.
Attachment 142831
Maybe a stupid question, but does it dry white or clear?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.11.2021, 21:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,011
Groaned at 634 Times in 538 Posts
Thanked 22,456 Times in 11,790 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laminate peeling off - how to repair

Quote:
View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but does it dry white or clear?
The one I use dries white.

One good thing is you do not need tools to smooth it after application, a wet finger is enough.
If the finish is not good one can always add extra coats.

I did my repair about five years ago, it still looks OK and the waterproofing is also good so the laminate does not swell anymore.

Of course, replacing the board is the best solution but then you need tools and skills plus getting the correct board specification for this damp area is not easy.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving licence damaged - plastic sheet peeling buellboy Permits/visas/government 2 10.10.2019 13:42
Laminate flooring moscatel Free stuff 6 07.09.2017 13:08
Weekend peeling of bells runjly Other/general 25 25.08.2014 16:57
Where to laminate maps/charts captcrispy Other/general 13 14.11.2013 14:59
Laminate Floor - how do I repair / touch up moggy Housing in general 4 12.07.2013 21:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0