English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/3833-english-speaking-psychologist-zurich-suggestion.html)

epag 06.02.2007 19:04

english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Hi guys,

if any body knows psychologists/councelors Zurich,english speaking
i would very much appreciate your help.

Also,as i am greek,if any anybody knows a greek speaking therapist,would be great.

thanks a lot for your help

:rolleyes: wakko!!

gooner 06.02.2007 20:14

Re: english speaking psychologist suggestion
 
You're in the right place, the Jungian institute is based in Zurich.

You can contact them http://www.junginstitut.ch/main/Show$Id=1001.html

Kittster 06.02.2007 21:10

Re: english speaking psychologist suggestion
 
Well, what kind of therapy do you want? Cognitive behavioural? Gestalt therapy? Psychoanalysis? Clinical hypnotherapy? Dialectic behavioural therapy? Existential? Adlerian?

It might be worthwhile seeing what you expect and the scope of your therapy in terms of duration.

Also, be careful - not all therapists are covered or only a certain amount of hours. It's usually best to go somewhere that has a psychiatrist and psychotherapist working together when it comes to insurance issues.

heather 06.02.2007 21:22

Re: english speaking psychologist suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster
Well, what kind of therapy do you want? Cognitive behavioural? Gestalt therapy? Psychoanalysis? Clinical hypnotherapy? Dialectic behavioural therapy? Existential? Adlerian?

It might be worthwhile seeing what you expect and the scope of your therapy in terms of duration.

Also, be careful - not all therapists are covered or only a certain amount of hours. It's usually best to go somewhere that has a psychiatrist and psychotherapist working together when it comes to insurance issues.

at the moment epag is just making an enquiry as to to whether or not anyone knows particular people we would recommend and may not be as aware as you are of the particular differences in practice. Perhaps you may like to include recommendations of english speaking practitionsers within the different fields you suggest given your particularly expert knowledge.

evilshell 06.02.2007 21:37

Re: english speaking psychologist suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster
Well, what kind of therapy do you want?...

Great info, but the reality is that for English speaking practitioners, your choice is severely limited. Psychotherapy isn't something you want to enter into with someone who doens't speak the language of the session well - someone in therapy shouldn't have to be considering how they speak and if the therapist will understand the nuances of what's said. Unfortunately, many say they speak English but don't have proficency to the level required for psychotherapy.

Kittster 06.02.2007 21:48

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Well sorry for asking but "I need therapy" can mean anything and wasting your time with the wrong kind seems a bit futile to me. Epag also mentioned speaking Greek, which widens the field a little.

You will also find that most people in the domain will have a fairly good level of English, as we are made to read texts in English from day one of your Psychology studies. By the time you have done five years of this, you will speak good English. Psychiatrists are in the same position, I know "The Lancet" is not common English but you do learn a lot.

But back on topic, the point is, I'm going to see my therapist tomorrow and would be prepared to ask her if she knows of anyone.

evilshell 06.02.2007 21:57

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster
Well sorry for asking but "I need therapy" can mean anything and wasting your time with the wrong kind seems a bit futile to me. Epag also mentioned speaking Greek, which widens the field a little.

You will also find that most people in the domain will have a fairly good level of English, as we are made to read texts in English from day one of your Psychology studies. By the time you have done five years of this, you will speak good English. Psychiatrists are in the same position, I know "The Lancet" is not common English but you do learn a lot.

But back on topic, the point is, I'm going to see my therapist tomorrow and would be prepared to ask her if she knows of anyone.

Well, sorry but saying "everyone reads texts in English" and speaking English fluently - to the level of understanding subtleties and accents are two very different things.

Kittster 07.02.2007 01:39

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Yes, I appreciate that. But depending on the therapy, it's not that relevant. For psychoanalysis, yes. For cognitive behavioural therapy, no.

Lets not quibble over this matter as it hardly helps the OP.

epag 07.02.2007 09:00

Re: english speaking psychologist suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooner
You're in the right place, the Jungian institute is based in Zurich.

You can contact them http://www.junginstitut.ch/main/Show$Id=1001.html

yes,i know that.
As the matter of fact i live close to them but jungian approach i dont think is my thing (without being an expert)

thanks anyway

epag 07.02.2007 09:29

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
i agree with evilshell that english should be his or hers mother tongue because as its not my mother tongue either communication gets more difficult (communication in the real sence of the word not understanding on another)

i think i am looking for cognitive behavioural in first level and existential in the background
i dont have particular difficulty but i would like to go a bit further with my self-awareness
generally speaking the relation with your therapist is not trivial and it helps to have some personal opinion of someone who actually had constructive sessions

panamahat 07.02.2007 09:51

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by epag
i agree with evilshell that english should be his or hers mother tongue because as its not my mother tongue either communication gets more difficult (communication in the real sence of the word not understanding on another)

i think i am looking for cognitive behavioural in first level and existential in the background
i dont have particular difficulty but i would like to go a bit further with my self-awareness
generally speaking the relation with your therapist is not trivial and it helps to have some personal opinion of someone who actually had constructive sessions

epag

you've been pm'd

best

nick

mutabor 25.10.2007 18:06

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
There is an anthropologist I can highly recommend, transcultural healing and therapy sessions. Outskirts of Zurich: Mr. Marc Jose Reinhardt, KINDHAUSEN Mädisguet, 044 740 90 15.

mutabor 25.10.2007 18:09

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mutabor (Post 122302)
There is an anthropologist I can highly recommend, transcultural healing and therapy sessions. Outskirts of Zurich: Mr. Marc Jose Reinhardt, KINDHAUSEN Mädisguet, 044 740 90 15.

MAY I ADD THAT THIS PSYCHOLOGIST IN QUESTION IS PERFECTLY BI-LINGUAL.

Kittster 25.10.2007 20:30

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Anthropologists for psychological things? Not sure that works...

Mutabor is, among other things, a type of seminar where you use fairy tales to deal with issues. Not to be overly cynic but is there any chance that you are the therapist that you are recommending? I hope I'm not offending you but I feel it's an important question.

Music Mole 26.10.2007 11:14

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
There is a list of English-speaking counselors here.

Wishing you the best of luck

Zug bound 26.10.2007 12:42

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
I was interested in contacting one of the therapists on the list, Katy Remark, sadly her number is ungletig. Does anyone know of a different number for her?
I've tried googling her name but all I found was a letter she had written to CNN.

JenniferD 26.10.2007 13:11

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
I'm awaiting a call back from a lady referred to me by another therapist.
She apparently is english mother tongue, although..that's what the 1st lady said and then we went, she wanted my husband to translate everything. I said "NO, this is not what I wanted, I want an ENGLISH SPEAKING PERSON. I do not want my husband to translate."

this has been going on a month now and I'm still waiting for call backs.
I'm going to need to see a therapist soon about NOT being able to see a therapist. It's a vicious cycle.

Kittster 26.10.2007 13:25

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Sadly the not calling back is a common occurence among therapists. Try calling her again and if you have no luck, just go somewhere else.

JenniferD 26.10.2007 13:30

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
yeah, I'm calling again today...no response, I'm going through that list posted.
I'm getting used to the not calling back thing they have going on here...but when you really wanna talk to someone, this is bloody frustrating. By the time I find someone, I'll have solved my own issues.

PTKate 26.10.2007 13:44

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
You could try Dr. Lille Springall 043 818 4629 www.firemaker-coaching.com
She english first language, a psychologist and certified professional coach. Can't really say if she's any good but comes across as very helpful and professional and might be able to pass you on to someone else if she can't help.

Schnubbu 26.10.2007 15:51

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
I've been going to Kathleen Wyss-Shore for the last few years. She is excellent. www.wyss-shore.ch

Nanda 26.10.2007 16:01

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
There's another list on xpatxchange. I go to Jeanette Wyrsch and could recommend her.

Imagozh 29.10.2007 07:06

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zug bound (Post 122612)
I was interested in contacting one of the therapists on the list, Katy Remark, sadly her number is ungletig. Does anyone know of a different number for her?
I've tried googling her name but all I found was a letter she had written to CNN.

This is in reference to the post by Zug bound. I am Katy Remark, the therapist/psychologist you attempted to contact. You don't mention where you came across a number for me but the one listed on XpatXchange is correct: 044 451 41 26.

mutabor 03.11.2007 14:46

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Mr. Reinhardt does not return calls, but can usually best be contacted beginning of month.

mamacass 29.12.2007 04:36

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
I think its great that there is a network of help here for people . I have a canadian friend (married to a Swiss ) who had a nervous breakdown and has been in a clinic since sept . This thread would have helped him . I think it is important that you see someone who not only speaks your language , but also knows your culture based on something other than what is seen on tv !! If you find yourself depressed you can get medicicine from your general practioner . (which he didnt , He thought it would go away which naturally it didnt just got worse . ) Depression is something that happens when you have a lot of stress which moving to a different country , learning a new language and culture definitely is . If you need help please get it and dont end up in one of these kliniks !!! It is also important to have someone who understands how you feel . Your partner wont always do this just based on cultural differences , not to mention gender ! I dont know if my friend will get out of this klinik in the near future but when he does he said he is going back to Canada . He didnt have such a great time here . Sadly he has to leave his children here but I think its best for him to go home . Strangely enough until he moved here , he didnt have any problems ,maybe it was the warm hearted and understanding Swiss people he came across Ha Ha . Not that all are bad ; ive met some super ones but he didnt have the same luck . So please dont feel ashamed to get help like he did . You are in a vunerable situation andthats nothing to be ashamed of .

mutabor 24.01.2008 18:53

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
well, anthropology is not a therapy... so if you are psychitic because of yourself, this may not help.:eek::cool::msnblush:

epag 24.01.2008 21:05

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
i am not surpirised at all that your friend got depressed here
i think he should atlease have a trip back because in the country of Jung, therapy and therapist and the whole medical system, is a bit strange and frankly about psychotherapy i have heard the worse from various sources (and not from foreigners)
they have some community driven arrangements but not really curing
anyway,i dont want to add to frustration,just wanted to share my sympathy

IQ_QI 25.01.2008 08:46

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by epag (Post 34462)
Hi guys,

if any body knows psychologists/councelors Zurich,english speaking
i would very much appreciate your help.

Also,as i am greek,if any anybody knows a greek speaking therapist,would be great.

thanks a lot for your help

:rolleyes: wakko!!

Dr. Judith Oehler (Badenerstr.) is an excellent psychiatrist to contact for that sort of info since she used to head the psychiatry dept at the Polyclinic (<- where most docs also speak English btw).

She knows who's who in Zürich and can make a recommendation for an English speaking psychologist.

Cheers!

Bjarnemoon 19.05.2008 13:37

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
Hi... first I am new to this forum, so hello. Secondly, I've been reading this post with some curiosity. I have question to pose to those who have responded to the question of finding an english speaking therapist in Zurich. My partner and I are seriously considering an attempt to relocate to Switzerland.. for a lot of reasons (quality of life, we're active rock and alpine climbers, we like the people and culture)... right now I'm a full time Lecturer (Assistant Prof) in Edinburgh with a specialty in Relationships of all kinds -- what makes them work and what makes them breakdown and what to do about it, etc (www.attachmentresearch.org). While in some ways I love academia, I also consider refocusing and putting my knowledge of human relationships into more actively helping people through conseling and therapy (academia can get very self-serving more than other-helping). So, I'm considering acquiring the additional training I need to be good at counseling (I am quite confident about having the right qualities).

Here is the question to you guys....

Do you think there would be enough clients for an American/English speaking (also fluent in Swedish, Danish, Norwegian) psychologist specialised in serving the English speaking community of Zurich (and/or towns within commuting distance) to make a decent living (perhaps along with part time university work and scholarship)? I'm also personally knowledgable of American and Scandinavian cultures (having grown up in both) as well of English and Scottish cultures from living in Edinburgh.

What do you think... something there would be a niche for??

zuriKT 20.04.2010 09:06

Re: english speaking psychologist in Zurich suggestion
 
I was looking through earlier threads for information on counselling/psychotherapists in and around Zurich and came across these exchanges from 2007.

I was wondering is anyone would be prepared to share their experiences and recommend someone. I've tried a counsellor in Zurich and the approaches were pretty poor. There's quite a list on xpatxchange, which is where I found my bad experience - it would be great if anyone has had a positive professional experience and can recommend someone.

Epag - how did you fair in your quest in 2007?

Many thanks

zuriKT

Xenith 04.12.2010 22:34

Hi, is your mother tongue english and did you marry a swiss man and start living here ?? Just a thought cause i'm in such a situation, you can also get your G.P. to refer you to someone, (that way the health insurer pays too). I know your post is old but it's a response anyway. Take it easy...
The same thing happened to me, left it to long etc. Now I'm drugged up to the nines and have spent the last 2 years like that. Hey, how is he now anyway??


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:33.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0