Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.01.2009, 23:33
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,212
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

Let me specify... Kitchen knives.

A couple of the knives in the drawer are not the sharpest (no pun intended). Help me out please, what do you use to sharpen your knives... I am looking for an effective way to sharpen them... Cost efficient too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.01.2009, 23:45
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,147
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

As good knives are a big investment, it's crucial that you treat them with care. Not only does sharpening knives keep them performing up to their full potential, but it also makes them easier to use. Sharpening involves two separate but complementary processes: using a steel -- a metal rod with a finely ridged surface -- and a whetstone ( Schleifstein but no idea where to get it here ).

The steel doesn't actually sharpen the knife: It hones the edge, realigning it and removing nicks and dents. It's best to steel every ten uses or so. Use a whetstone to sharpen the blade every two to three months, or when your knife barely makes a dent in a tomato's skin.

To steel, draw the knife along the rod, making sure to keep your fingers behind the shield. Look carefully at the blade before you steel. It's important to know its profile, so that you can respect the angle of your blade and the gentle curve at its tip. Give it several good strokes.

Using a whetstone will take more time. Lubricate the stone with a few drops of water or mineral oil; after you've started using one lubricant, don't use the other until you change whetstones. Start with the coarse side of the stone up; lay the heel of the blade on the bottom right-hand edge of the stone. Sharpen the entire edge by holding the knife at a 20 degree angle with one hand while guiding the blade with the other hand. Turn the knife over; repeat, starting with the heel of the blade on the lower left-hand edge of the stone. After 10 to 20 swipes on each side, repeat these steps on the smooth side of the stone. Finally, give the blade a few passes over the steel to remove any loose bits of metal.

Worked well with my fishing knives in Australia.
__________________
404 – punoɟ ʇou ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ

Last edited by jrspet; 21.08.2009 at 13:58.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.01.2009, 00:09
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,027
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

Wot he said, I use a steel and a whetstone (oilstone) to do this job. Sharp knives are far better and less likely to cause an injury.


Quote:
View Post
As good knives are a big investment, it's crucial that you treat them with care. Not only does sharpening knives keep them performing up to their full potential, but it also makes them easier to use. Sharpening involves two separate but complementary processes: using a steel -- a metal rod with a finely ridged surface -- and a whetstone ( Schleifstein but no idea where to get it here ).

The steel doesn't actually sharpen the knife: It hones the edge, realigning it and removing nicks and dents. It's best to steel every ten uses or so. Use a whetstone to sharpen the blade every two to three months, or when your knife barely makes a dent in a tomato's skin.

To steel, draw the knife along the rod, making sure to keep your fingers behind the shield. Look carefully at the blade before you steel. It's important to know its profile, so that you can respect the angle of your blade and the gentle curve at its tip. Give it several good strokes.

Using a whetstone will take more time. Lubricate the stone with a few drops of water or mineral oil; after you've started using one lubricant, don't use the other until you change whetstones. Start with the coarse side of the stone up; lay the heel of the blade on the bottom right-hand edge of the stone. Sharpen the entire edge by holding the knife at a 20 degree angle with one hand while guiding the blade with the other hand. Turn the knife over; repeat, starting with the heel of the blade on the lower left-hand edge of the stone. After 10 to 20 swipes on each side, repeat these steps on the smooth side of the stone. Finally, give the blade a few passes over the steel to remove any loose bits of metal.

Worked well with my fishing knives in Australia.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.01.2009, 00:18
Isambard Mews
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

as above, use a steel or whetstone. i'd use water with the stone rather than oil.

also, i find people tend to oversharpen, you don't need to go OTT on it.

if you have neither, with a bit of practice, you can sharpen using any hard metal object. i've used the metal handle of knives, forks and spoons to sharpen a knife.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.01.2009, 00:19
5AVeci
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

Quote:
View Post
Let me specify... Kitchen knives.

A couple of the knives in the drawer are not the sharpest (no pun intended). Help me out please, what do you use to sharpen your knives... I am looking for an effective way to sharpen them... Cost efficient too.
Pyramid blade sharpener
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.01.2009, 00:33
fduvall's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,528
Groaned at 43 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,486 Times in 712 Posts
fduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

I have Henckels knives and I bought a sharpener from them that sits in the wooden knife block. I use it every 2-3 weeks. Here is a link with their recommendations:

http://www.markethousewares.com/inde...on=Custom&ID=8

fduvall
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fduvall for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 03.01.2009, 00:38
Doctor's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,072
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 323 Posts
Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

I use 2 knives against each other.
When i buy a whole Sirloin, and cut a slice before and after sharpening them, the difference is amazing. Even on cheap knives, ca. 20 chf each

Doc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.01.2009, 00:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,126
Groaned at 97 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

AbFab's tongue!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Keith66 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.01.2009, 02:55
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 184
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 57 Posts
Cochrane has made some interesting contributions
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

Same as above, only that these days I systematically pass the steel a couple of times over the blade, every time before I need to use a knife for cooking. It's been quite a while since I last used the stone. The advice I had once read about sharpening blunt knives, was to use the stone until you can cut a sheet of paper, then finish the work with the steel.

If you can see it from Switzerland, here is Gordon Ramsay's video from the Cookalong series on how to use the steel to sharpen a knife (and here's the youtube version).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.01.2009, 07:22
RolandRB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ex Basel
Posts: 570
Groaned at 137 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 170 Times in 107 Posts
RolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeable
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

Quote:
View Post
Let me specify... Kitchen knives.

A couple of the knives in the drawer are not the sharpest (no pun intended). Help me out please, what do you use to sharpen your knives... I am looking for an effective way to sharpen them... Cost efficient too.

Thanks!
So long as they don't have serrated edges and are made of steel then use a "steel" which you can buy at most shops that sell kitchen utensils including knves. This "steel" may be made out of steel but can also be made of a harder ceramic. The latter is the only thing which will sharpen some of the ultra-expensive higher-carbon knives. I have a ceramic steel and you can both sharpen them and "hone" them with one of these.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.01.2009, 10:27
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,710
Groaned at 123 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 6,329 Times in 3,541 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

As my grandfather had taught me in the past, use whetstone or any metal object or stone outside could be good as well. I used to use files starting from the coarse one and finishing the job with the fine one but somehow they are more agressive on the metal chipping it. Dedicated knife sharpeners are probably the best. Cold water washing during sharpening contracts metal and keeps the knife sharp, hot water expands it and somehow makes it feel blunted. I used to sharpen and clean with cold water. Once you sharpened try to cut the tomatoe or meat and you can feel if the knife has been sharp well enough. Repeat every few months
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11.01.2009, 08:07
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,212
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Do You Use to Sharpen Your Blades?

Thanks to all for the tips. I will get a steel and get to work on keeping
my knives sharp!

Appreciative,
Scott
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blade, knife, sharpen, sharpener




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiper-blades left up on Parked Cars esto Daily life 11 10.12.2008 15:20
Gillette - The most blades a man can get Guest General off-topic 5 02.10.2006 13:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0