Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13.02.2007, 20:51
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Culley has no particular reputation at present
Moving house to new canton

Does anyone know of a list I can use which prompts which places to deregister and register?
Also, how do I register my cars in the new canton and what is the likely cost?
Reply With Quote
Old 14.02.2007, 11:05
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Biel/Bienne
Posts: 214
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Kalli has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving house to new canton

You just have to contact the traffic office for the canton that youre moving to or from. When we moved from ZH I sent an email to the zurich one and they forwarded it to the right person in the other canton. Then they told me exactly what I had to do.

Dont forget that youll have to change the address on your driving licence (even if its a credit card format!)

You need to register within 14 days - which can be tricky as theyll want a copy of your new residence permit (complete with new address) thatll probably take a month to get to you....

Other than that, health insurance and house insurance need to be changed asap - but i think an email will do. The easiest way to find out what else you need to change is to get the post office to forward everything to your new address and as your post arrives, tell the people who sent it your new address!
Reply With Quote
Old 14.02.2007, 11:12
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving house to new canton

You should re-register at the place where your permit has been issued. You will then get papers which you can take with your now-cancelled permit to the new permit office. I'm assuming that your permit allows you to change cantons.

Registering the cars in the new canton is also easy. Take the car registration form and a cover note from your insurance provider and walk in. They will give you new plates and you can usually drop the old ones off there too.

Cost for the new plates varies from canton to canton; I paid 40 francs I believe.

When your plates arrive back at the old vehicle licence office, you will get a refund on the road tax you've paid. Naturally, you'll get a bill from the new place too.

The post office redirect/move service has an option where they notify the sender where possible; this is quite useful.

Also don't forget to inform: Billag, your electric company (which might know already), insurances, etc.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resources for those living in or moving to CH... Carmen Other/general 25 01.04.2011 08:59
House buying Pedigreeman Housing in general 28 07.12.2010 15:28
How does moving out-moving in works in switzerland? landmark77 Other/general 3 18.07.2007 12:56
Renting a house in SW of Zürich Wehmi Other/general 10 05.12.2006 18:37

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:16.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0