Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 15.11.2009, 16:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
noni has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

We have somehow managed to get the allotment but the shanty is more than 30 years old and need a little repairing and a lot of painting work. The guy wants to sell it out in its condition for CHF 2500. Guys any ideas if I should buy it or not? Is it worth to spend so much money on this 30+yrs. The garden is around 100m2. And there is also a small play yard behind the shanty. Shanty is big as well, with the kitchen cabin, storage room and a small room for extras and a deck converted to a dining area with a fireplace.

Please share your experiences those who have ever bought old shanties. Any points that I should jot down before I make my decision to buy it? I know the new ones if I buy of this size would anyway cost me some CHF 3000 in Bau & hobby or Do-it garden. And I also know that there is a big waiting list to get these garden allotment.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16.11.2009, 00:41
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
We have somehow managed to get the allotment but the shanty is more than 30 years old and need a little repairing and a lot of painting work. The guy wants to sell it out in its condition for CHF 2500. Guys any ideas if I should buy it or not? Is it worth to spend so much money on this 30+yrs. The garden is around 100m2. And there is also a small play yard behind the shanty. Shanty is big as well, with the kitchen cabin, storage room and a small room for extras and a deck converted to a dining area with a fireplace.

Please share your experiences those who have ever bought old shanties. Any points that I should jot down before I make my decision to buy it? I know the new ones if I buy of this size would anyway cost me some CHF 3000 in Bau & hobby or Do-it garden. And I also know that there is a big waiting list to get these garden allotment.

Thanks for any help!
Have you any photos, paid about CHF 4500 for mine from memory but the shanty / shed was ok.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16.11.2009, 15:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
noni has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
Have you any photos, paid about CHF 4500 for mine from memory but the shanty / shed was ok.
well, No I don't have the photos. Never thought of clicking some. But what does your experience say?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16.11.2009, 15:32
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
well, No I don't have the photos. Never thought of clicking some. But what does your experience say?
I don't have experience with this but my suggestion is this:
Find out from the gentleman if he's looked into how much the repairs would cost or ask him if it is alright if you have someone out to do an estimate.

Also, look not only at how much a new one would cost (I see you found out this part already) BUT also how much it would cost to have the new one positioned / built on site.


Then, weigh the information you have... is it more cost effective to repair an existing building or is it better to buy a new one? The only one who can answer that really is you as you're the only one who has even seen it at all.

If the repairs look minor and fairly easy to DIY, I'd say to go for it.

My m-i-l has an allotment which I'd love to get into and help her fix up but she's content with the building as it is and I'm not such a keen hand with gardening. I get relegated to picking strawberries and pulling weeds.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 16.11.2009, 22:32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 498
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 144 Times in 91 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: Garden Allotment Information

@Noni

How did you get your allotment? I had no reply from the familiengarten site. I then contacted a local shared garden, and got an initial reply to email, but then no further reply, so that trail went dead too. What was your route to success?!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17.11.2009, 12:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
noni has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
@Noni

How did you get your allotment? I had no reply from the familiengarten site. I then contacted a local shared garden, and got an initial reply to email, but then no further reply, so that trail went dead too. What was your route to success?!

On the black friday the 13th I recvd a call from this gentleman, asking if I was interested in seeing this family garden...It seems like he shortlisted the names of people living near this garden location. And we were amongst them. He also wanted to give it out only to the family with kids... And we are a small family of 3. The deal is not yet final though. We made our decision after all the estimations and called him up yesterday for the answer...but he now needs to make a final decision as in to whom he wants to give away. lets see. But you can try your luck once again may be with a different garden location nearby if any... or may be by changing the amount of maximum limit on the form. I know, its very difficult as its always long long waiting lists.. But you may even try by contacting the old people who have been alloted these gardens for years and years...may be they might help you if they don't want to give it further to their children or friends...

Hope you get thru it soon.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank noni for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 17.11.2009, 13:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
noni has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
I don't have experience with this but my suggestion is this:
Find out from the gentleman if he's looked into how much the repairs would cost or ask him if it is alright if you have someone out to do an estimate.

Also, look not only at how much a new one would cost (I see you found out this part already) BUT also how much it would cost to have the new one positioned / built on site.


Then, weigh the information you have... is it more cost effective to repair an existing building or is it better to buy a new one? The only one who can answer that really is you as you're the only one who has even seen it at all.

If the repairs look minor and fairly easy to DIY, I'd say to go for it.

My m-i-l has an allotment which I'd love to get into and help her fix up but she's content with the building as it is and I'm not such a keen hand with gardening. I get relegated to picking strawberries and pulling weeds.
I think when you talk about the positioning the new one... I would say....forget about the new one.... my hubby doesn't have time for all that and wouldn't like to spend the summer like this....its TIME more important now than the money. And repairs are not so BIG ones...so we made our decision anyway that we make a deal. But now this gentleman needs time to make his decision as in "who is the right person to give it away"

lets see what happens next. but thanks anyway for your note... it encouraged me in a big way.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17.11.2009, 23:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 498
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 144 Times in 91 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
On the black friday the 13th I recvd a call from this gentleman, asking if I was interested in seeing this family garden...It seems like he shortlisted the names of people living near this garden location.

Hope you get thru it soon.
OK - so it is not so easy to get an allotment here. The Swiss person who helped me fill in my second application to familiengarten, after no reply to the first one, did tell me that schrebergarten are super-difficult to get in Zürich, and that maybe they just are so overwhelmed that they do not reply. Too bad. Many people want good vegetables from their own growing on the dinner-plate, I guess. I hope that you get your allotment for sure, and I wish you a strong first crop!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 18.11.2009, 18:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
noni has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Quote:
View Post
OK - so it is not so easy to get an allotment here. The Swiss person who helped me fill in my second application to familiengarten, after no reply to the first one, did tell me that schrebergarten are super-difficult to get in Zürich, and that maybe they just are so overwhelmed that they do not reply. Too bad. Many people want good vegetables from their own growing on the dinner-plate, I guess. I hope that you get your allotment for sure, and I wish you a strong first crop!

True, my hubby comes from a farmer family, but since a decade he moved to swiss and he misses his home-grown fresh-served stuff....this is the ideal choice for us to at least enjoy the summer months here. YES, we finally made the garden deal. There's a lot to do and a lot more to grow. Hope all goes well. Thanks for your wishes. And I still hope that you get thru this process. Try, don't give up if you really want to have it.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07.08.2011, 21:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Allschwil
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
jac25 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Anyone still interested in one of these allotments? I have 1 available and know of 3 others in the Allschwil area (Basel Land). In addition, there are many available in Basel itself, depending on the month you start looking.

Got one for sale outside Basel, if anyone is interested. See my previous posts. Price has been reduced.

Last edited by vwild1; 18.10.2011 at 22:04. Reason: merged 2 posts into 1
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jac25 for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 29.02.2012, 19:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich/Freiburg
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
reddy2vish has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

I just wanted to encourage some people that have thought about it and thought it is too difficult to get an allotment within the city of Zurich. If you are flexible about where you willing to have one, the process is quite painless. I have heard that the allotments on Zuriberg are quite difficult to get, but we applied in Wipkingen and were on the waiting list for a year before we got one.

Some advice:
Mail in the online from, but don't expect a response. They get tons of requests and your name is on the waiting list. In Wipkingen you can add a preference for maximum "hut" price you are willing to pay. Putting down 500 francs means you will be waiting for a very very long time. For reference, we put down max 3000, and actually paid 1500 for the one we got. The hut is old, but serviceable and needs no major
repairs. The rent you pay (includes water costs) is based on the size of the plot.

There is low turnover on the plots (lots of people have had theirs for 20+ years and don't give them up until they pass away or move away) however the waiting list moves faster than you would expect because many people decide they don't actually want one or don't like the one they are offered. Most turnover happens in late fall.

The process in Wipkingen was not complicated at all, there is no showing a plot to multiple people and "choosing" who gets it etc. I have heard that having kids puts you higher on the waiting list. For everyone else it is first come first serve. When a spot empties up, you are called, offered the spot after being allowed to view it and you either take it or leave it. I guess most people think it over first, because they were surprised when we said yes right away. The price of the hut is estimated by the club and not by the previous owner, so the prices are not inflated (in my opinion).

Expect your neighbors to be uber-swiss and retired We are the "junge paar" and already have a reputation for riding our bikes there instead of bringing a car. The upside is we are always complaining on the forum about how hard it is to meet real swiss people....well this is your in! They are very friendly and helpful.

Don't get one because you want a place to hang out or grill. Grilling at the park is a lot less expensive and less work than a garden. The 2nd most common reason for plot turnovers is newcomers who didn't realize how much time it takes. Weeding, watering, keeping track of all those plants, their nutritional needs and diseases is tricky and lots of people get discouraged when everything dies the first year.

Otherwise, go for it, it is not as difficult to get one if you are flexible!

vishnu

p.s. any other gardeners out there up for trading seeds or transplants....i got lots of stuff started this week and should have extra if they survive til May
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 29.02.2012, 20:34
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Allotment Information

Five years ago in Bern the situation was very easy, and I easily obtained an 80 m² plot, which cost me CHF 200 deposit plus a small membership fee, and the rental was CHF 20,-- per sq-meter per year.

The list of rules was fairly long, and the site was under the Bern building regulations, with only a large wooden shed being specified (About 12 m²), and only this model was allowed. No other sheds above 80 cm high were allowed.
http://www.fgvb.ch/ look at "Documentation" for the rules and look at "Aktuell" for upcoming meetings.

There were also compulsory working Saturday mornings, about 4 per year, when various group projects were completed.

After a year I found a full time job, and couldn't continue, as each time I went there the weeds were back again, each time with a fresh variety. It was depressing, as the only thing which was good was the rhubarb which I detest. The field mice ate the vegetables and the birds ate the fruit. It was in a very pleasant location, but the garden members were ancient, and didn't talk to me much.

http://map.search.ch/d/2nlnzc5zt.html
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01.08.2012, 18:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Allschwil
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
jac25 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garden Allotment Information

For native German speakers, or French speakers, it may be easier to find an allotment for you than for those who cannot communicate in those languages. Also, there tend to be more allotments available outside of Zurich, than within it.

I lived in Basel. There we had the Basel Gartenverband. Here is the link to open gardens: http://www.stadtgaertnerei.bs.ch/fre...ie-gaerten.htm . These gardens run between 2500 CHF and 7000 CHF per parcel. The more expensive ones include a shack-sized chalet, that you cannot live in. You are required to volunteer each quarter in order to maintain an active membership.

Outside of Basel, there are a number of other gardens. I was a member of the "Familien Garten Verein Allschwil" or "Family Garden Club". Here the parcels were larger and included a larger chalet with running water, heat, etc. Ours had a futon/ couch, dining area, full kitchen with propane stove, grill, etc. These of course cost more because it is real estate you can also live in. Here is a link to that organization's 3 free parcels. http://fgv-allschwil.ch/27001.html

If anyone would like more information on the FGV Allschwil, please feel free to contact me directly. It is key to understand the annual fees, the annual duties required, and what the prevailing values are for properties in your area. Usually, you get what you pay for.

Thanks,
Jamie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
allotments, gardens, vegetable patch




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garden Help sarty Other/general 2 24.05.2009 16:13
Information about Esslingen chris_l Housing in general 11 27.09.2008 10:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0