Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:27
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LUZERN
Posts: 130
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
ynot has no particular reputation at present
Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Can anybody really explain what is so fascinating about switzerland that they are so desperate to come here to live, with so many restrictions for the foreigner about working here and obtaining accomodation,language problems, insurance problems etc,
All I seem to read here on this forum,is, the problems that they have, and yet they are still desperate to come here.

I'm not talking about people who have married or got family here that is understandable, or people who have been transfered through their firms.

Is it some sort of survival test,? I really don't understand it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:28
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

money perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:31
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Quote:
View Post
money perhaps?
I truly hope not, as life is not at all just money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:32
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,795
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

I've changed your title so people might read the thread

I actually think it's not that popular in the greater scheme of things. You go to any European country or non-Redneck US city and you'll find foreigners aplomb.

It's just that on this forum, we see a lot of the negative gripes. Nobody ever visits and goes "yay, it was easy!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:47
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,734
Groaned at 25 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Quote:
View Post
It's just that on this forum, we see a lot of the negative gripes. Nobody ever visits and goes "yay, it was easy!"
Too true, to be honest, I have never found it difficult here. Awkward ? Definitely.
You have the same relocating to most countries. I went through a lot of crap with the local Mairie when I moved to Savoie back in the early 90's, lots of bureaucracy & Les Francais are just as bad, if not worse (in rural areas) than your average Schweizer. At least here, the paperwork is semi organised.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:51
Jazz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 253
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 54 Times in 28 Posts
Jazz has earned some respectJazz has earned some respect
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Yay, it was easy....!

I was amazed, in the end, how easy it was just to up and move country.

The key selling point for me was the quality of life: http://www.mercerhr.com/referencecon...ontent=1173105

But just the atmosphere when you first arrive here, the way people always help women with prams to get of buses, how people press the buttons on bus doors so that complete strangers don't miss their bus.

Key moments for me were:
- witnessing a lone old woman (80-ish) reprimanding a group of teenage yobs for their behaviour and actually getting an apology from them.
- seeing kindergarten children walking to school on their own in the mornings
- noticing that after about 10 at night all the flats in the street go dark and quiet, and the absence of drunkards coming home from the pub at 11.30pm singing.

It all helps to show that the grass can sometimes be greener on the other side...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

True, but there are many swiss signs saying "Keep Off The Grass"

dave

Quote:
View Post
It all helps to show that the grass can sometimes be greener on the other side...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.04.2007, 16:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

I don't think people are 'desperate' to come or stay on in CH. If you are already here, it is worth trying to fight and keep fighting as it is going to be starting again in any new place.

And there are forums for many countries like this one e.g US, Canada, etc.

www.britishexpats.com (too Brit oriented but some info is good); it has 5-6 forums.




Quote:
View Post
Can anybody really explain what is so fascinating about switzerland that they are so desperate to come here to live, with so many restrictions for the foreigner about working here and obtaining accomodation,language problems, insurance problems etc,
All I seem to read here on this forum,is, the problems that they have, and yet they are still desperate to come here.

I'm not talking about people who have married or got family here that is understandable, or people who have been transfered through their firms.

Is it some sort of survival test,? I really don't understand it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.04.2007, 17:42
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,659
Groaned at 383 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,457 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Looking as this in a really positive way: it's not that Switzerland is so good, it's that everywhere else is so crap...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18.04.2007, 17:48
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 966
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Quote:
View Post
Can anybody really explain what is so fascinating about switzerland that they are so desperate to come here to live, with so many restrictions for the foreigner about working here and obtaining accomodation,language problems, insurance problems etc,
All I seem to read here on this forum,is, the problems that they have, and yet they are still desperate to come here.

I'm not talking about people who have married or got family here that is understandable, or people who have been transfered through their firms.

Is it some sort of survival test,? I really don't understand it.
Errr, people aren't exactly 'desperate' to come to Switzerland. Except for Asylum seekers and economic migrants - but lots of other European countries have proved a big attraction for them too.

But Switzerland is a very beautiful country, in a good (centre of Europe) location with relatively high salaries and low taxes. If one was seeking to move somewhere 'comfortable' with a good standard of living, Switzerland would certainly be on their list.

And I'd say most of the expats on this group did come here either through their career (were transferred or had a good job offer) or else through a Swiss partner.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.04.2007, 17:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

actually that is the negative way. everywhere else is so crap ? really ?

get real.

Quote:
View Post
Looking as this in a really positive way: it's not that Switzerland is so good, it's that everywhere else is so crap...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

I remember at touchy-feely exit interview when leaving a job, they always ask whether you are leaving because of a "push" factor or a "pull" factor. I think it could be either, but my guess its a pull factor to switzerland in the majority of cases...

dave


Quote:
View Post
actually that is the negative way. everywhere else is so crap ? really ?

get real.

Last edited by evilshell; 18.04.2007 at 18:09. Reason: fixed quote tag
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:06
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,734
Groaned at 25 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Quote:
View Post
they always ask whether you are leaving because of a "push" factor or a "pull" factor. I think it could be either, but my guess its a pull factor to switzerland in the majority of cases...quote]
for me it was a combination .. desire for new horizons (professionally), coupled with serious dissafection with the UK & a chance to experience a different country & culture. Tax benefits were also attractive, but not a key deciding point I may add.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK - Manchester
Posts: 702
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 65 Times in 55 Posts
ExoticLatic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

It probably attracts as many as it puts off to be fair. If you are a more steady type of person you look up to it whilst the more bohemian types tend to see the place as hell on Earth.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:11
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Quote:
View Post
It probably attracts as many as it puts off to be fair. If you are a more steady type of person you look up to it whilst the more bohemian types tend to see the place as hell on Earth.
And you have hit the nail on the head!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

...and many feel trapped here by their high salary, and perceived standard of living while they remain miserable and lonely. Read "The Alchemist".

dave

Quote:
View Post
It probably attracts as many as it puts off to be fair. If you are a more steady type of person you look up to it whilst the more bohemian types tend to see the place as hell on Earth.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:20
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Quote:
View Post
...and many feel trapped here by their high salary, and perceived standard of living while they remain miserable and lonely. Read "The Alchemist".
That's a really, really good point as well.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK - Manchester
Posts: 702
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 65 Times in 55 Posts
ExoticLatic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

I was quite the bohemian type actually back in my days in Geneva, it's since moving to the UK that I've become a bit more steady, figure that one out

Never read "The Alchemist", but it seems it is the kind of vaccuous new-age bullshit that would get me very, very angry...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

Nah its actually quite a sweet fable, rather than "Feel the Fear and do it anyway" bollox. It reminded me of some of the Oscar Wilde short stories. There are plenty of "messages" if you want to pick up on them, but its a pleasant read in any case.

dave


Quote:
View Post
Never read "The Alchemist", but it seems it is the kind of vaccuous new-age bullshit that would get me very, very angry...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18.04.2007, 18:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK - Manchester
Posts: 702
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 65 Times in 55 Posts
ExoticLatic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Why is Switzerland such a magnet?

One of my accointances had this to say about it...


Quote:
The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho.

Cretinous, sub-hippy, fatalistic bullshit. A watered-down, satire-free version of Candide especially written for the sort of people who have posters of dolphins.

He tends to be a bit grumpy at times, mind you...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0