Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.10.2009, 13:16
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Readi...pf_rd_i=507846

Great news for all those who want access to Amazon's vast catalog of books in the English language.

The new Kindle contains a UMTS modem and allows for wireless downloads - apparently AT&T has deals with local network providers to get the content delivered to your device. I for myself pre-ordered one as it has become harder and harder to get English content on the iPhone and other electronic devices I like to read my texts on.
How Amazon got their book suppliers to license the contents globally I don't know, but apparently they pulled it off.

Peter
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 08.10.2009, 12:36
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Just had a look on the Amazon site and it talks about 3G downloads. Does anyone know how this would work in CH? For example at the moment I get 3G on my iPhone through my contract with Orange. Will it be necessary to get a another contract with another (or indeed same) carrier for the Kindle, or are they organising it a different way?

EDIT: Just found this on the site...


_________________
==Switzerland==We are excited to now ship Kindle to Switzerland. Customers in Switzerland will enjoy:

Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Large Selection: Over 290,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 100,000 titles are priced under $5.99

Learn more about Kindle features on the Kindle product page



Important Product Information for Your Country
  • Your international shipment is subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country. We will show you these fees upon checkout. Learn more
  • Kindle ships with a U.S. power adapter and a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle via a computer USB port. The U.S. power adapter supports voltages between 100V - 240V.
  • You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime. Service fees for transferring personal documents via Whispernet are currently $.99 per megabyte. Learn more
  • Wireless download times can vary based on 3G or EDGE/GPRS coverage, signal strength and file size.
  • Kindle books, newspapers, and magazine are currently priced and sold in United States dollars
  • Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country
  • Kindle includes a 1-year limited warranty. See details
  • Use of the Kindle is subject to the Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.10.2009, 18:17
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
Just had a look on the Amazon site and it talks about 3G downloads. Does anyone know how this would work in CH? For example at the moment I get 3G on my iPhone through my contract with Orange. Will it be necessary to get a another contract with another (or indeed same) carrier for the Kindle, or are they organising it a different way?
Hi Ed,

You won't need to worry about an additional subscription / contract - the Kindles come pre-installed with an AT&T SIM-card that also works in Switzerland. AT&T has deals with Swiss providers (very much like TomTom in their latest GPS devices). Amazon will charge you 1.99$ for each book that's downloaded via Swiss UMTS on the go (still lots cheaper than buying English books in a bookstore - new york times bestsellers, for example, are sold at 9.99 + 1.99$ per piece). Also, you can just download the books from amazon.com and transfer them to the kindle via USB - that's free of charge. If you subscribe to US newspapers, Amazon will charge you 4.99$ per week for data transfers. That's quite a lot - but together with the subscription price it's still cheaper than buying the NY Times at your local Kiosk every morning.

Peter
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.10.2009, 18:43
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Thanks Peter, I kind of got that impression through what I saw on the site, but it's good to have it confirmed.

Very tempting...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.10.2009, 19:57
Verb's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 121
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Verb has earned some respectVerb has earned some respect
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
Hi Ed,

You won't need to worry about an additional subscription / contract - the Kindles come pre-installed with an AT&T SIM-card that also works in Switzerland. AT&T has deals with Swiss providers (very much like TomTom in their latest GPS devices). Amazon will charge you 1.99$ for each book that's downloaded via Swiss UMTS on the go (still lots cheaper than buying English books in a bookstore - new york times bestsellers, for example, are sold at 9.99 + 1.99$ per piece). Also, you can just download the books from amazon.com and transfer them to the kindle via USB - that's free of charge. If you subscribe to US newspapers, Amazon will charge you 4.99$ per week for data transfers. That's quite a lot - but together with the subscription price it's still cheaper than buying the NY Times at your local Kiosk every morning.

Peter
Actually I think this is incorrect. I do not believe there will be any additional charges.

When you select "Switzerland" you see the following information:
Quote:
We are excited to now ship Kindle to Switzerland. Customers in Switzerland will enjoy:

Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Large Selection: Over 290,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 100,000 titles are priced under $5.99

It says Free Wireless and even non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery outside your home country.

So basically, Free in Switzerland and Free everywhere else as long as it is shipped to a country outside the US.

I was combing through the fine print and it seems that the $1.99 charge is specifically for US customers roaming internationally.

So, basically...downloads are Free
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.10.2009, 20:11
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
Actually I think this is incorrect. I do not believe there will be any additional charges.

When you select "Switzerland" you see the following information:



It says Free Wireless and even non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery outside your home country.

So basically, Free in Switzerland and Free everywhere else as long as it is shipped to a country outside the US.

I was combing through the fine print and it seems that the $1.99 charge is specifically for US customers roaming internationally.

So, basically...downloads are Free
But the point I was asking about was the 3G service that they're talking about. The confusing point is they also mention 3G wireless on their site - I always read wireless as Wi-Fi (which I realise isn't actually the same thing).

What I'm trying to get at is if I'm sitting on the train - not in a Wi-Fi hotspot - and I want to buy and download a book to my Kindle, what will I pay. Obviously the price of the book, but then what? The $1.99 Peter mentions makes sense, but I agree the part of the site you've posted makes it sound like there's no extra charge.

Having said that, they also say in your quote "no monthly fees or service plans" - they don't specify no individual charge per transaction.

Hmm....


EDIT: Why on earth has Peter got a groan for his first post??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.10.2009, 20:35
Verb's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 121
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Verb has earned some respectVerb has earned some respect
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post

What I'm trying to get at is if I'm sitting on the train - not in a Wi-Fi hotspot - and I want to buy and download a book to my Kindle, what will I pay. Obviously the price of the book, but then what? The $1.99 Peter mentions makes sense, but I agree the part of the site you've posted makes it sound like there's no extra charge.
I don't believe the Kindle even has Wi-Fi. 3G is your only option. The way Amazon's site reads, there should be no extra charge. Because of copyright issues I assume international users will get country-specific content (i.e. which books you can buy) in which the prices are a little higher than the US store to offset the more costly mobile network charges.

Quote:
View Post

EDIT: Why on earth has Peter got a groan for his first post??
I was wondering the same thing. What's wrong with g_zuri? Maybe he clicked the wrong button?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.10.2009, 22:39
Pepper's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 312
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 113 Times in 92 Posts
Pepper is considered knowledgeablePepper is considered knowledgeablePepper is considered knowledgeable
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
I was wondering the same thing. What's wrong with g_zuri? Maybe he clicked the wrong button?
Yes he's an idiot! I've just asked why he groaned and he has no knowledge of doing it, didn't mean to and will attempt to rectify it (if he can)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Pepper for this post:
  #9  
Old 08.10.2009, 22:46
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
Yes he's an idiot! I've just asked why he groaned and he has no knowledge of doing it, didn't mean to and will attempt to rectify it (if he can)
That hardly makes him an idiot then, does it?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.10.2009, 23:09
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

A Luddite writes:

Is it fun to have a book on a glowing screen? Will I pull it down off a shelf one day and browse through it again? (one is allowed to keep the download, I presume?) Is this the nail in the coffin of that great cultural institution the book store?

<sigh>
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 08.10.2009, 23:23
Verb's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 121
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Verb has earned some respectVerb has earned some respect
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
A Luddite writes:

Is it fun to have a book on a glowing screen? Will I pull it down off a shelf one day and browse through it again? (one is allowed to keep the download, I presume?) Is this the nail in the coffin of that great cultural institution the book store?

<sigh>
You can continue enjoy your bundles of dead trees. Who knows, at some point they may become valuable as curiosities.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.10.2009, 23:43
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
A Luddite writes:

Is it fun to have a book on a glowing screen? Will I pull it down off a shelf one day and browse through it again? (one is allowed to keep the download, I presume?) Is this the nail in the coffin of that great cultural institution the book store?

<sigh>
Isn't the screen not meant to be glowing? eInk and all that?

Although I think I may have missed your point...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.10.2009, 23:54
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

I really don't see the point of the Kindle's wireless feature. You're paying for the overhead in power consumption and weight, and yet you're only likely to download a new book once a week/fortnight etc.. I just plug my eReader (svelte Sony PRS-505) into my PC and I can download several dozen books in a few seconds.

I know that you can also download newspapers and magazines, but on a 7" monochrome screen its a non-starter IMHO since that format is only really suitable for novels.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 09.10.2009, 08:49
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post

I was combing through the fine print and it seems that the $1.99 charge is specifically for US customers roaming internationally.

So, basically...downloads are Free
yes, you're right - the $1.99 is only charged when US residents roam abroad. Amazon now clarified the issue and even tells us that for non-US customers, there aren't any roaming charges (meaning that apparently we can download books in all the covered countries without additional charges - when on vacation etc.): "Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions "


The only thing they will charge you is $.99/mb when transferring personal documents via 3G (free when done via USB, of course).

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.10.2009, 08:51
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
I really don't see the point of the Kindle's wireless feature. You're paying for the overhead in power consumption and weight, and yet you're only likely to download a new book once a week/fortnight etc.. I just plug my eReader (svelte Sony PRS-505) into my PC and I can download several dozen books in a few seconds.

I know that you can also download newspapers and magazines, but on a 7" monochrome screen its a non-starter IMHO since that format is only really suitable for novels.
I personally would have preferred WiFi over 3G as well - but when it's free, who cares. I would have bought a Sony Reader but since they make a massive effort to keep Swiss customers to their country-specific book store which only contains a handful of (German language) books, it's really not for me. For me the whole Amazon deal is about getting English language books at a decent price.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09.10.2009, 09:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint Prex
Posts: 59
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Ellen Wallace has no particular reputation at present
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Been wondering about this for months,very glad to see all this here. As soon as one of you gets yours delivered, please let us know if it works as well as expected, if there are glitches to consider when ordering, etc. Would love to do this, but I'd rather wait for some feedback from someone doing it in Switzerland! And I, too, was wondering about that groan, which seemed really odd, so I'm glad to see it was just an accident
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09.10.2009, 09:31
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
...For me the whole Amazon deal is about getting English language books at a decent price.

Peter
That's what's making it attractive to me as well. I buy a lot of (traditional) books already through Amazon, so it's more a question of how useful the device would be. If it meant me switching my custom to them from elsewhere I'd probably be less tempted, but as it is it kind of makes sense.

I'd love to have a play with one before I put any money down though, I don't know if there'll be any in any stores at some point...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09.10.2009, 09:57
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

Quote:
View Post
That's what's making it attractive to me as well. I buy a lot of (traditional) books already through Amazon, so it's more a question of how useful the device would be.
I already own a BeBook e-ink reader - which I can't use anymore since Mobipocket is now restricting book sales to US and Canadian customers for most recent titles :-/ So I guess for me it's not going to be much of a transition. The BeBook reader essentially uses the same display but I heard that the Kindle is much faster. The BeBook also lacks wireless connectivity - you have to transfer the books via SD card.

From my own experience (with the BeBook) I can honestly say that reading on e-ink devices is like reading paper books. The contrast is excellent, they work perfectly fine in bright sunlight, when touching the screen, it even feels papery :-) It also feels good to know that they don't have to cut down trees for your reading pleasure (although the electronic devices probably contain their ample amount of poisonous materials, as do all electronics). Also, there's the issue of not being able to put the book you read in your bookshelf. That doesn't bother me much since books have always been "read it - get rid of it" for me but I can see people not liking the thought of not owning a physical object anymore.

Peter
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 09.10.2009, 10:02
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to books, but that's also part of the reason for the switch - when I look at all my shelves and think of how many of those books have never been re-read, it's a hell of a lot.

Plus, much as I value tradition, this is definitely the way the market is moving. It's simply vinyl -> CD -> .mp3 / .flac etc all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09.10.2009, 10:32
Jase's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich Area
Posts: 571
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 245 Times in 122 Posts
Jase has an excellent reputationJase has an excellent reputationJase has an excellent reputationJase has an excellent reputation
Re: Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too)

not to mention the sheer space that paperbacks take up once you've collected a few! i've got them stuffed in the shelves two deep - not practical but only way to store them all - and with the relatively small size of apartments in Switzerland compared to say a house in Oz or the States - I think going digital has it's merits

i'm wondering though about the ASUS reader that's meant to come out soon which has two screens - that would be cool
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amazon, kindle




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kindle gsach TV/internet/telephone 41 11.03.2013 00:01
amazon.ch? peebix Daily life 48 12.03.2011 15:07
Is it possible to run a Canadian Sole Proprietorship internationally? Christine I Business & entrepreneur 3 24.10.2008 21:44
best landline option to call internationally Tokvi TV/internet/telephone 20 14.03.2008 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0