Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.07.2010, 10:25
Boo Radley's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canton Zurich
Posts: 68
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 11 Posts
Boo Radley has earned some respectBoo Radley has earned some respect
Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

I'm currently immersing myself fully in this wonderful country and there are lots of new and interesting things to enjoy here, but I must admit that I really miss reading the Sunday papers from back home! I used to love spending a few lazy hours at the weekend reading the Times on Sunday, not just the news but also all the magazines that came folded in the publication, music, film and book reviews, not to mention the extensive sports section

I've seen an international daily version of The Times but not the fully blown Sunday version. I know you can subscribe on-line to the papers but I'm not a big fan of reading so much text on my little laptop screen, you can't beat having a big broadsheet flapping around your head

I try to read the papers here but my German is quite basic and my attention span doesn't last too long when I'm looking up every other word, I'll keep at this though because it's a good exercise!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.07.2010, 10:26
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Yes you can buy them at the main train stations bigger Kiosks ususally from around mid morning.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.07.2010, 10:32
Boo Radley's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canton Zurich
Posts: 68
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 11 Posts
Boo Radley has earned some respectBoo Radley has earned some respect
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Really? I did have a look around Zurich station last Sunday but I couldn't see any - maybe I was there too late and they had sold out. I'll give it another go! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.07.2010, 10:39
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 958
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

It`s in the main Hall upstairs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.07.2010, 10:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounakbanerjee has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

I have a suggestion...iPad! Loads of news papers available there including RSS feeds.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.07.2010, 11:02
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

The kiosk in the middle of Paradeplatz has them, plus the kiosk right next door to Cedre Bellvue (a restaurant in a square opposite Terrasse restaurant).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.07.2010, 11:14
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Sorry I did not word my post very well, you can get the Sunday Times at various stations not just the HB. I used to buy mine in at Enge.

Quote:
View Post
Really? I did have a look around Zurich station last Sunday but I couldn't see any - maybe I was there too late and they had sold out. I'll give it another go! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.07.2010, 11:36
APx's Avatar
APx APx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 61
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
APx has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry I did not word my post very well, you can get the Sunday Times at various stations not just the HB. I used to buy mine in at Enge.
I know this might a long shot... but any suggestions for Oerlikon/Glattbrugg area?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.07.2010, 11:45
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,036
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,196 Times in 9,420 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
I have a suggestion...iPad! Loads of news papers available there including RSS feeds.
The OP already said that they didn't want to read text on a laptop screen, so how would an iPad help?

You could invest in a bigger screen... I've subscribed to the Times electronic edition for the past two years (the new subscription is actually cheaper now, and gives more access - and it's a LOT cheaper than the 6CHF or whatever you have to pay for the incomplete international edition). I now read it every day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.07.2010, 11:45
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 975 Times in 605 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
I know this might a long shot... but any suggestions for Oerlikon/Glattbrugg area?
I'd suggest to hit the 11 Tram/768 Bus and go to the airport - they should be the first ones to get the papers...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank herc82 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 31.07.2011, 09:11
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,182
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
I'm currently immersing myself fully in this wonderful country and there are lots of new and interesting things to enjoy here, but I must admit that I really miss reading the Sunday papers from back home! I used to love spending a few lazy hours at the weekend reading the Times on Sunday, not just the news but also all the magazines that came folded in the publication, music, film and book reviews, not to mention the extensive sports section

I've seen an international daily version of The Times but not the fully blown Sunday version. I know you can subscribe on-line to the papers but I'm not a big fan of reading so much text on my little laptop screen, you can't beat having a big broadsheet flapping around your head

I try to read the papers here but my German is quite basic and my attention span doesn't last too long when I'm looking up every other word, I'll keep at this though because it's a good exercise!
Sorry for reviving an old thread.

In Luxembourg, some English shops (especially Little Britain and Chapter 1) sell UK edition Suday papers from about 10:30 am. They have a guy who drives a van to the UK (somewhere near the Eurotunnel terminal, my guess is Menzies' Ashford distribution centre), loads the van up with the papers, gets on the Eurotunnel, drives to Luxembourg and bingo! full UK edition Sunday newspapers.

Now Zurich is a bit further away than Luxembourg, and then there is the issue of clearing customs. But it's Sunday morning and I feel like a little trip to la-la-land , so: Does anyone have any idea how much an airfreight container on the first Swiss plane (arr. Zurich about 8:45 on Sunday) would cost, and what sort of time it would take to clear customs?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31.07.2011, 09:20
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post

Now Zurich is a bit further away than Luxembourg, and then there is the issue of clearing customs. But it's Sunday morning and I feel like a little trip to la-la-land , so: Does anyone have any idea how much an airfreight container on the first Swiss plane (arr. Zurich about 8:45 on Sunday) would cost, and what sort of time it would take to clear customs?
You mean, to fly the Sunday papers out for the ex-pats? As a sort of business idea?

I have no idea, but I read the Sunday Times avidly in the Bernese Oberland every week. I wake up, press download on the IPad, make a tea and its there before I finish....all for CHF3.00. I know its not quite the same to some as the full paper in bed, or in the pub with a pint, but its greener and actually more convenient.

Just think you won't get the demand to make it pay, esp if there are alternatives. But I'm sure some smart ass said that to the Amazon dude too, so go for it!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 31.07.2011, 09:34
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,176 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

When we first came to Basel about 10 years ago, you could get the Sunset Times, Torygraph et al at the larger kiosks in town like the one at Barfüsserplatz and the rail station.

As time went on, the papers would arrive later and later at the shop - sometimes not until the following day, so completely useless. Also, half the supplements were missing. I wrote a complaint once to Murdoch towers and got some bland response back which translated roughly to "we couldn't care less".

In the end we gave up.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.07.2011, 09:44
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,182
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
You mean, to fly the Sunday papers out for the ex-pats? As a sort of business idea?

I have no idea, but I read the Sunday Times avidly in the Bernese Oberland every week. I wake up, press download on the IPad, make a tea and its there before I finish....all for CHF3.00. I know its not quite the same to some as the full paper in bed, or in the pub with a pint, but its greener and actually more convenient.

Just think you won't get the demand to make it pay, esp if there are alternatives. But I'm sure some smart ass said that to the Amazon dude too, so go for it!
I know about the iPad edition, and I'm reading the Sunday Times on my computer right now (for GBP 2/week incl. The Times on weekdays). But as the OP said, it's not quite the same. As for the business idea, well it's in la-la-land as I said. The Luxembourg guys charge EUR 5.50 for the Sunday Times and can open their shops on Suays for some hours - the paper sales actually bring them a lot of additional footfall, which in ZH of course is a non-starter due to no Sunday opening.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31.07.2011, 14:18
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,725
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 7,006 Times in 2,266 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Admittedly it's not quite the same as the paper version, but I subscribe to www.pressreader.com -- for US$30 a month, I can download unlimited copies of around 2'200 papers from around the world. They're basically PDF copies of the original papers (not dedicated apps like The Times), and you can browse them on your PC or on an iPad.

There's a good range of US & UK papers, although notably the NYT, WSJ and UK Times are not available. Still, I read the Sunday papers more for the supplements than the news, and for that, the Telegraph, Guardian, and Independent are good enough for me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 31.07.2011, 14:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

I used to buy the Sunday Times at ZH Hauptbahnhof but I find paying ten francs and NOT getting all the cool magazines quite upsetting. Since I was lucky enough to be given an iPad, I now occasionally treat myself to the electronic version.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31.07.2011, 14:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

If you really want to hold an actual bundle of paper in your hand, you can print off newspapers from all around the world at the newsagent's shop on the main concourse of Zurich HB.

I recently treated myself to a copy of the Birmingham Evening Mail. It wasn't cheap, and it took quite a while (about half an hour, because of a glitch in the system), but it was lovely to walk around Zurich with it tucked under my arm.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31.07.2011, 16:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 3,078
Groaned at 96 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 4,054 Times in 1,611 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you buy the Sunday papers from England in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Admittedly it's not quite the same as the paper version, but I subscribe to www.pressreader.com -- for US$30 a month, I can download unlimited copies of around 2'200 papers from around the world. They're basically PDF copies of the original papers (not dedicated apps like The Times), and you can browse them on your PC or on an iPad.

There's a good range of US & UK papers, although notably the NYT, WSJ and UK Times are not available. Still, I read the Sunday papers more for the supplements than the news, and for that, the Telegraph, Guardian, and Independent are good enough for me.
I agree with that. I subscribe and love the fact that I can download several papers onto my iPad to read during a flight without having to lug all the paper with me in a carry-on. With the Kindle app also, I can download my paperbacks too... In this respect, I really love my iPad.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I buy Rivella in England? VaudBrit Other/general 18 27.09.2011 20:50
Papers while driving TerminalServer Transportation/driving 7 27.05.2010 15:52
VW Golf Papers jimdrake Transportation/driving 6 01.05.2010 14:58
Where can i buy a Christmas Tree Today (Sunday) [Zurich area] geraldinekneale Daily life 4 13.12.2009 14:34
Get papers Ryder35 Permits/visas/government 1 24.06.2007 18:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0