Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.02.2011, 22:24
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mindyanne has no particular reputation at present
husband of EU citizen/student

I am a Ph.D. student with dual citizenship (US/Italian) planning to move to Geneva for at least a year to do research. My husband (non-EU citizen) will be coming with me and would like to work if possible while there. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether that would be possible? My husband currently works retail for a major European luxury designer and would like to apply for a position in one of their stores in Geneva or the surrounding area.

How likely is it that he could a) get the appropriate permit and b) actually get a job?

We have the option to begin the process of acquiring dual EU/US citizenship for him as well through our Italian consulate. However, the naturalization process seems rather complicated, and we are concerned about whether acquiring dual citizenship by naturalization (rather than by birth, which is what I have) might compromise his US citizenship in any way.

Does anyone have any advice for us?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
Old 01.02.2011, 22:38
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: husband of EU citizen/student

Will you be considered a student or an employee when doing your research?

If you announce your arrival with your Italian passport, you should( assuming you are working ) receive a 5 year 'B' permit. When you and your husband register, he should receive the same permit as you by default. This will
allow him to work. How is his French??

As far as citizenship goes, hmmmmmmmmmmm..... I know several Americans that have taken Irish citizenship and French citizenship. It has not hurt the
American citizenship whatsoever.....

US allows dual citizenship with many countries. Italy, I believe, is one of them. This one, you will have to research a bit more.
Pick me, I'll be your Huckleberry!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Citizen, Swiss husband, and moving to Switzerland Kgerber Permits/visas/government 4 23.12.2011 21:59
PhD-Student (EU Citizen) dependend visa for wife (Non - EU Citizen) nico1980 Permits/visas/government 2 01.02.2011 09:50
Student Loans for US citizen in Basel EandT Finance/banking/taxation 0 05.01.2010 11:45
Student Visa for German Classes for U.S. Citizen? crfesi Permits/visas/government 4 01.09.2009 16:23
Non EU-citizen, wife of EU-citizen did not get same permit as husband!!! Marion Permits/visas/government 6 03.05.2007 10:20

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0