Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.03.2011, 09:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Voltorr has earned some respectVoltorr has earned some respect
Quick spouse visa question

Hi all,

My better half and I have decided we are going to move to Switzerland. I am a non EU national and she is a Swiss citizen, we are both currently living in Africa. So yesterday we went to the consulate to get the forms I would need to be allowed enter and work, after reading a lot of posts I figured I would be getting a B permit but the lady at the consulate insisted I apply for a D permit (long-stay) and once in Switzerland I can apply for a work permit.

I guess my question is, is this the norm, did I understand her correctly? Does anybody have experience in the time lines for each visa? More than 3 months with no pay on my currency exchange won't be easy ):

Thank you for any possible assistance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.03.2011, 11:05
Kalvaer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GenÚve
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kalvaer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Quick spouse visa question

I'm currently sitting in the pretty much the exact same situation. I am trying to find out more information right now from the company that my Wife is going to be working at.

I'll let you know as soon as I find something out if somebody cant explain it first
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.03.2011, 12:21
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Quick spouse visa question

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

My better half and I have decided we are going to move to Switzerland. I am a non EU national and she is a Swiss citizen, we are both currently living in Africa. So yesterday we went to the consulate to get the forms I would need to be allowed enter and work, after reading a lot of posts I figured I would be getting a B permit but the lady at the consulate insisted I apply for a D permit (long-stay) and once in Switzerland I can apply for a work permit.

I guess my question is, is this the norm, did I understand her correctly? Does anybody have experience in the time lines for each visa? More than 3 months with no pay on my currency exchange won't be easy ):

Thank you for any possible assistance

D = visa, not a work nor residence permit. It is a visa. You need it to enter Switzerland.

B Permit - the residence and work permit you will receive once you register at the local town hall.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 24.03.2011, 12:29
LiquidPaper's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 676
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 622 Times in 293 Posts
LiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quick spouse visa question

Swissbob is absolutely right. You need a visa in order to enter Switzerland (even if you don't need it as a tourist; this is to come here to live). With that visa in your passport, you'll then go to the appropriate authorities and be issued with a residence/work permit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.04.2011, 11:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Voltorr has earned some respectVoltorr has earned some respect
Type C Visa to B permit

Hi all, another question (:

Does anybody know or has anybody every applied for a B permit (reside and work) while only having a Type C Visa? Background info is I'm non-EU moving to Switzerland, my spouse is Swiss. They said I should apply for type D but that would take forever to get (home affairs is not too great at home) while Type C takes 10 days.

So can I get a type C visa, arrive in Switzerland and then apply for the B permit? The permit and visa entry seem to be handled completely separately, but they might send me home after taking one look at my type C visa and tell me to wait for the the Type D.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.04.2011, 12:29
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dubendorf
Posts: 244
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 23 Posts
joeyying has no particular reputation at present
Re: Type C Visa to B permit

But there is only Type D visa is for long-term stay in Switzerland...
The type D visa doesn't take that long, I have a friend who is Italian working in Zurich and his Chinese wife got the type D visa in 18 days! You never know Normally they said it takes 2 - 3 months.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.04.2011, 13:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Voltorr has earned some respectVoltorr has earned some respect
Re: Type C Visa to B permit

Quote:
View Post
But there is only Type D visa is for long-term stay in Switzerland...
The type D visa doesn't take that long, I have a friend who is Italian working in Zurich and his Chinese wife got the type D visa in 18 days! You never know Normally they said it takes 2 - 3 months.
Thanks, but does a B permit not allow you to stay as well, I mean once you have the B permit surely you don't need the Type D visa anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20.04.2011, 15:54
Kosti's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oranje County
Posts: 488
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 871 Times in 364 Posts
Kosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type C Visa to B permit

You cant enter as a tourist (type C) and then stay on. You will have to leave the Switzerland and re-enter on a type D to get a B permit.
You could ask about getting the D visa stamped in a Swiss embassy other than the one in your home country.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.04.2011, 16:05
Kalvaer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GenÚve
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kalvaer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Type C Visa to B permit

Quote:
View Post
You cant enter as a tourist (type C) and then stay on. You will have to leave the Switzerland and re-enter on a type D to get a B permit.
You could ask about getting the D visa stamped in a Swiss embassy other than the one in your home country.
Would you have to leave back to your own original country, or could you say, leave to a neighbouring EU country and just come back across the border?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.04.2011, 22:51
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Type C Visa to B permit

Quote:
View Post
Would you have to leave back to your own original country, or could you say, leave to a neighbouring EU country and just come back across the border?
There are many examples of that practice on the forum. You can collect the visa at just about any Swiss embassy. However, if you needed a tourist visa, i.e. not in the visa waiver scheme, then this option may not be available.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.04.2011, 09:18
Kalvaer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GenÚve
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kalvaer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Quick spouse visa question

Well Currently my Son and I both have C Visa's for Entry into Switzerland. We have applied already for our D Visa's. Though if it takes 12 weeks, we will have a problem as we are meant to leave in 8 weeks time.

What we were told we could do from the Embassy here, was have our passports sent back to SA (as the D Visa's would be here when ready) and anyone could take them for us, and the embassy would then put the D Visa in our Passports for us, and then we could have them sent back. This would save us a plane ticket back.

Though if we have to "leave" to get the stamps put in first, I might need to look into that.

Of course, we are hoping the Visa's will be ready in time and we wont have to go through all of that.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steps for Non-EU to get spouse visa (spouse EU, B visa) Guest Permits/visas/government 2 27.01.2015 18:42
Quick question Millso Permits/visas/government 6 11.02.2011 20:09
applying for vistor's visa while waiting for spouse visa teakhouse Permits/visas/government 3 06.02.2011 13:36
I have a quick question.... hugh_abu General off-topic 13 08.08.2007 08:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0