Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25.04.2011, 08:08
DavidSJC's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 119
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 49 Times in 20 Posts
DavidSJC has earned some respectDavidSJC has earned some respect
Bringing dry and canned food items in container?

Hi, I checked this site below on the requirements for importing household
items when relocating to CH. I understand that all items must have been
purchased 6 months prior to the move.


It's not clear to me whether I can pack dry food products or certain canned
foods like sauces in the container. The web site has this blurb on CHF300

Within the scope of the tax and duty free limit of CHF 300, foodstuffs (excluding alcoholic beverages), for private consumption in one’s own household are basically duty free to the extent that they are imported personally while travelling.
I think that's more for cross-border shopping right? You go to DE or FR and
bring food products back with you. My question is about shipping food
items as part of a big container shipment that is obviously not with me
personally when I enter the country.

Is it still subject to the same CHF300 limit? Can I even bring food products
in a container?

Reply With Quote
Old 25.04.2011, 09:15
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 77
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
O'Henry has earned some respectO'Henry has earned some respect
Re: Bringing dry and canned food items in container?

David, great post I asked the same question to my relocation agent and she wasn't sure. She knew of people that had done it but never of anyone being stopped or quizzed on entry. I am planning to do the same on entry and have slowly but surely been stocking up on items I read are not available in CH.

Anyone else have any information on this or have done the same
Reply With Quote
Old 25.04.2011, 09:36
Posts: n/a
Re: Bringing dry and canned food items in container?

Food is not household goods.

Pack all the foodstuffs in a seperate box and mark it as such. Declare the value on the import form. You will pay duty on everything over 300 CHF value.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permit for bringing in household items lockedoff Permits/visas/government 11 20.05.2010 09:08
Will I have to pay a large customs charge for bringing lots of food in my suitcase? picpoc Daily life 16 08.05.2010 02:03
Bringing dried food into Switzerland Devyn Other/general 3 13.08.2009 15:56
Bringing Food into Switzerland... Scoutie Food and drink 11 20.06.2009 23:21

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0