Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.04.2011, 14:55
Radha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Radha has no particular reputation at present
Urgent permit Query

Hi

Hope some one can give me inputs at my present situation !

We (Me & my husband) have B permit, and live/work in Zurich. My husband's contract is expiring by August 11 (with no possibility of extension) hence we've to go back to India.

I have a dependent permit, but in the meanwhile I got a job offer in the other canton and the contract is signed However, when I asked the HR manager about the permit, she said that she will apply it once I join the company in June. Now my questions are..

1. What is the possibility to get my own independent permit as I would be working as a Secretary and this company is quite big. However, I do not know whether I will be eligible to get my own independent permit even though I have a Job contract.

2. Is it possible to apply permit now before joining the company ? so I can be sure that I'm staying here in CH, otherwise I need to plan my exit. I believe it takes 6-8 weeks time get the work permit.


Thanks
Radha
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.04.2011, 15:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 351
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 123 Posts
AlreadyPacked has earned some respectAlreadyPacked has earned some respect
Re: Urgent permit Query

Quote:
View Post
Hi

Hope some one can give me inputs at my present situation !

We (Me & my husband) have B permit, and live/work in Zurich. My husband's contract is expiring by August 11 (with no possibility of extension) hence we've to go back to India.

I have a dependent permit, but in the meanwhile I got a job offer in the other canton and the contract is signed However, when I asked the HR manager about the permit, she said that she will apply it once I join the company in June. Now my questions are..

1. What is the possibility to get my own independent permit as I would be working as a Secretary and this company is quite big. However, I do not know whether I will be eligible to get my own independent permit even though I have a Job contract.

2. Is it possible to apply permit now before joining the company ? so I can be sure that I'm staying here in CH, otherwise I need to plan my exit. I believe it takes 6-8 weeks time get the work permit.


Thanks
Radha
Check with HR again send them a copy of your current permit, from my experience you can't start working without a valid permit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.04.2011, 16:16
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent permit Query

Quote:
View Post
Hi

Hope some one can give me inputs at my present situation !

We (Me & my husband) have B permit, and live/work in Zurich. My husband's contract is expiring by August 11 (with no possibility of extension) hence we've to go back to India.

I have a dependent permit, but in the meanwhile I got a job offer in the other canton and the contract is signed However, when I asked the HR manager about the permit, she said that she will apply it once I join the company in June.
They have to do it before you start work - it's just a change of status though and is routine.

Quote:
View Post
1. What is the possibility to get my own independent permit as I would be working as a Secretary and this company is quite big. However, I do not know whether I will be eligible to get my own independent permit even though I have a Job contract.
Main v dependant permits are not normally interchangeable. It is worth trying though.

Quote:
View Post
2. Is it possible to apply permit now before joining the company ? so I can be sure that I'm staying here in CH, otherwise I need to plan my exit. I believe it takes 6-8 weeks time get the work permit.
The company can apply at any time.

Unfortunately you are in a tricky situation - in most circumstances you will be leaving the country in August - for any chance of staying, go to the authorities and put your case asap.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.05.2011, 13:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bern
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Godbless has no particular reputation at present
Re: Urgent permit Query

Hi Swissbob,

While you suspect that both main and dependent are not normally interchangeable, what do you mean by telling, ''It's just the change of status and it's a routine''?

Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.05.2011, 14:02
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich t
Posts: 6,353
Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,964 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urgent permit Query

If you are on a Non-EU 'dependent' visa then you still have to get work permission - that's the 'change of status' that Swissbob is talking about - and it's not usually difficult although it can take around 6-8 weeks.

Getting the swap so that you become the primary visa holder, and your husband is the 'dependent' would be more complicated, but as others have said, that will depend on the authorities. If your salary is not really high enough to support a couple, then they may not grant the permission. If they don't consider your new position particularly essential, then that would also cause problems.

The 'easiest' way to solve the problem is for your husband to get a new job...and he'll need permission to change employers...that may also be 'routine' if his B permit is not restricted...

Even if you do stay, can you live off your own salary, or can your husband get a new job ?

The HR manager should apply for the permission before you start in June. You would not want to start work and then someone says 'Oh, no, you can't legally work until we have the papers' and then you don't get paid for another month or two...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.05.2011, 23:59
Radha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Radha has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
The HR manager should apply for the permission before you start in June. You would not want to start work and then someone says 'Oh, no, you can't legally work until we have the papers' and then you don't get paid for another month or two...
Hi Swisspea, I am already legally working right now (in Zurich) with a valid permit (dependant) till Aug 11. One of my friend also said that I must check with the employer if I can actually Work in Canton Thurgau, if my permit is issued in Zurich, Is it true ? I am here living and working for approx 2 years. Any idea, what is basic minimum salary one should have to stay in CH ?

RR

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately you are in a tricky situation - in most circumstances you will be leaving the country in August - for any chance of staying, go to the authorities and put your case asap.
Swissbob.. Do you think If I put my case to the authorities (migrationamt) help here, I rather found them closed and discouraging

Or you mean someone else !

Thanks.. RR

Quote:
View Post
If you are on a Non-EU 'dependent' visa then you still have to get work permission - that's the 'change of status' that Swissbob is talking about - and it's not usually difficult although it can take around 6-8 weeks.

Getting the swap so that you become the primary visa holder, and your husband is the 'dependent' would be more complicated, but as others have said, that will depend on the authorities. If your salary is not really high enough to support a couple, then they may not grant the permission. If they don't consider your new position particularly essential, then that would also cause problems.

The 'easiest' way to solve the problem is for your husband to get a new job...and he'll need permission to change employers...that may also be 'routine' if his B permit is not restricted...

Even if you do stay, can you live off your own salary, or can your husband get a new job ?

The HR manager should apply for the permission before you start in June. You would not want to start work and then someone says 'Oh, no, you can't legally work until we have the papers' and then you don't get paid for another month or two...
I still have valid permit to work till Aug..

The HR says that they'll apply for the permit once I join, she says it.. as if it's very simple for her.. however I'm doubtful.. What to do, any suggestion ?

RR

Last edited by Longbyt; 01.06.2011 at 11:55. Reason: same theme, same poster, consecutive posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.06.2011, 10:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mobas has no particular reputation at present
Re: Urgent permit Query

Rada,

You are in a very tricky situation. Reading the other posts, and I have a friend who had a similar experience, your chances are very low.

I advise you the following:

1 - Ask the HR to apply for your Visa change ASAP. Try to negotiate with them
2 - Put your case on the authorities, so they can help you with a better solution
3 - Tell ur husband to look for a job ASAP

I hope you are lucky enough

Regards,
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permit Ci query Guest Permits/visas/government 1 17.02.2011 02:29
Ci permit query maverick77 Permits/visas/government 1 21.09.2010 07:22
Permit query Gattiamore Permits/visas/government 0 02.12.2009 09:33
Urgent Query regarding renewal of B permit sarvesh Permits/visas/government 4 04.09.2009 14:14
Another L Permit Query pradeep Permits/visas/government 10 16.03.2007 14:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0