Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21.06.2011, 18:17
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ns2011 has no particular reputation at present
Expired Tourist Visa to Carte de Legitimation

Hello, I'm a US citizen who came to Geneva back in January to work at the UN. I hold a carte de legitimation. My wife also came with me (also US citizen) but as a tourist. Given the nature of my contract at the UN they do not provide residence cards for spouses. As her tourist stay was running out we applied for a family reunification through the Geneva Canton Population Office. The application is still being examined and since her 90 days have run out we haven't left Switzerland.

Now, she has received an internship to work at the UN that starts in a month. She has sent her application in for a visa to the Swiss Mission in the US. However, the papers specifically say that they cannot issue a residence visa to someone who is on a tourist visa.

Does this mean she has to return to the US to get her card and then return?

Also, we need to visit family abroad (not in the US but outside of Europe) and we went to the Canton Office to get a re-entry visa based on the pending application. We were told that since she will shortly be getting the visa from the Swiss Mission - that they would not issue the re-entry. Their advice was for her to leave the US - and fill out a declaration that she is leaving - and then return when she has the card.

1) does she have to return to the US?
2) can she remain here and have someone ship the card to us once it is processed?
3) should she fill out the declaration if she leaves?
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Carte de legitimation to L/B visa astarina Permits/visas/government 2 19.05.2015 11:21
Leaving Switzerland (for a holiday), expired tourist visa & B permit processing. Ubiquity Permits/visas/government 4 23.10.2013 23:12
B to Carte de Legitimation pickles Permits/visas/government 3 07.04.2011 14:34
K carte de legitimation? BalmyBeach Permits/visas/government 4 19.01.2010 12:13
consequences of expired tourist visa... crazy_inlove Permits/visas/government 4 11.11.2007 20:47

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0