Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.07.2011, 18:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Panama
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Podders has no particular reputation at present
90 Day Tourist Visa

Hi All,

I am hoping to be moving to Zurich in the next couple of months, no issues for me with Visa's as I am a UK citizen, however, my girlfriend is Panamanian.

I ran a couple of searches and she will get a 90 day tourist visa on arrival, all good. When that runs out though is it as simple as going in and out of Switzerland to get another 90 days (as is in some countries)?

Any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.07.2011, 18:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 90 Day Tourist Visa

As long as she goes out AND stays out for 90 days before coming back, then yes, it is that simple.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.07.2011, 18:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Panama
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Podders has no particular reputation at present
Re: 90 Day Tourist Visa

Quote:
View Post
As long as she goes out AND stays out for 90 days before coming back, then yes, it is that simple.
Thanks, that's not really going to be ideal. How hard is it to get a Visa to stay long term?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.07.2011, 19:29
rmcarlos's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
rmcarlos has no particular reputation at present
Re: 90 Day Tourist Visa

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, that's not really going to be ideal. How hard is it to get a Visa to stay long term?
on the basis of just being a girlfriend... damn near impossible.

I tried to apply for it, and we check all the boxes in terms of I'm EU, she's from the US, good job, good salary etc... and it has been a year of paperwork and nightmares etc all for a big fat no.

If you're serious about the girl, jump in with both feet and put a ring on it...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rmcarlos for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.07.2011, 20:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Panama
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Podders has no particular reputation at present
Re: 90 Day Tourist Visa

Quote:
View Post
on the basis of just being a girlfriend... damn near impossible.

I tried to apply for it, and we check all the boxes in terms of I'm EU, she's from the US, good job, good salary etc... and it has been a year of paperwork and nightmares etc all for a big fat no.

If you're serious about the girl, jump in with both feet and put a ring on it...
Thanks Rmcarlos, I'm not adverse to doing that if it's needed, does that solve all problems though?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.07.2011, 08:09
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
View Post
Thanks Rmcarlos, I'm not adverse to doing that if it's needed, does that solve all problems though?
It solves all the residence / work permit issues.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 11.07.2011, 17:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
ethstudent has no particular reputation at present
Re: 90 Day Tourist Visa

Hi, another question in the same vein...

I know tourist visas (including for people who can enter without an actual "visa", just passport stamped on arrival) are limited to 90 days.

Is there a way to get a "long" tourist visa? I.e. for someone to stay for 4-5 months, if I guarantee them room & board and that I will cover all of their expenses should they run out of money?

I think this was possible before the Schengen area thing, I know people who had family members (sisters, brothers, aunts) come and stay for 90 days, and then before the 90 day limit ran out, they would go to the Kreisburo and get an extension for a month or so. I heard from people that a similar procedure exists in other European countries (e.g. France).

I could not find anything about this on the Swiss migration office website, they only speak of the "L" permit if you need to stay longer than 90 days (I'm a "B" permit holder btw).

Any ideas on this? So what I'm getting at is not a residence or work permit of any kind, just an "extended" visitor's visa. Is that possible at all?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.07.2011, 17:41
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 Day Tourist Visa

Quote:
View Post
Hi, another question in the same vein...

I know tourist visas (including for people who can enter without an actual "visa", just passport stamped on arrival) are limited to 90 days.

Is there a way to get a "long" tourist visa? I.e. for someone to stay for 4-5 months, if I guarantee them room & board and that I will cover all of their expenses should they run out of money?

I think this was possible before the Schengen area thing, I know people who had family members (sisters, brothers, aunts) come and stay for 90 days, and then before the 90 day limit ran out, they would go to the Kreisburo and get an extension for a month or so. I heard from people that a similar procedure exists in other European countries (e.g. France).

I could not find anything about this on the Swiss migration office website, they only speak of the "L" permit if you need to stay longer than 90 days (I'm a "B" permit holder btw).

Any ideas on this? So what I'm getting at is not a residence or work permit of any kind, just an "extended" visitor's visa. Is that possible at all?

While it is possible in some circumstances, like a sudden medical issue, I wouldn't rely on it in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.07.2011, 06:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: i didint yet
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fatma has no particular reputation at present
Tourist Visa

hello
im a student from tunisia and i want to move to swizeland for work and get a new job but i want to know if i can get a job with tourism visa?
also if i can stay lonnger than three monthes and how?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18.07.2011, 07:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tourist Visa

Quote:
View Post
hello
im a student from tunisia and i want to get job in swizeland so can i get a job with teh tourism visa to stay more longer?
can i stay more than three months? how?
Tourist visa is just what it says for "tourism". Anything else isn't permitted and, if found out and forced to leave, it might ruin your chances for any future visits to Switzerland. Don't risk it and go through the proper channels.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry on Tourist Visa, while Student Visa is processed? ireallyshouldbeworking Permits/visas/government 8 07.02.2012 11:45
US Citizen Marriage Visa to Swiss National under tourist visa SwissWannaBe Permits/visas/government 19 07.12.2011 23:09
Swiss dependent visa and Schengen tourist visa ajithmathew Permits/visas/government 5 18.07.2011 10:45
Entry on Tourist Visa while Study Visa is in process ts6353 Permits/visas/government 5 23.07.2010 08:41
Can I spend 3 months in CH on Tourist Visa after 3 months in DE on Tourist Visa? hopegrows Permits/visas/government 3 19.04.2010 16:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0