Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.08.2011, 15:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern/Zurich
Posts: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
johnmayer has annoyed a few people around herejohnmayer has annoyed a few people around here
Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

Hi,
I am in a big dilemma right now and I urgently need some advice.

Last month I accepted a job offer from company in Bern,Switzerland and permit has been in process till now. I have still not received my work permit but started working unofficially as per the date of the contract. Just few days back a new situation has arisen. The permit has been approved by Canton but the federal office of migration wants some official documents like Masters degree, Stamped Masters transcript (I was studying Masters in Switzerland). I have yet to graduate this September but I am not sure whether I will be able to do it or not. Also many University employees are on leave till end of August and getting official Master transcript is proving very hard. Further my Swiss B Permit (I am non-EU national) is about to expire in last week of September.

The second dimension is that I also have a job offer from a big German Engineering company in Munich . I have been keeping them on hold since last 3 weeks but now they are finally asking me for a Yes/No decision.

Now in this situation I can do either of two things:

- I reject the German company offer, take chance with Swiss company, try to get my diploma this September. If i can get the diploma then of course everything is well and good but if I cant I dont know what alternatives are there to make sure I get the Swiss work permit. Only alternative I can think in this is to further extend my Swiss student B permit. In the worst case I will not get this Swiss job also.

- Second alternate thing could be I accept offer from German company and start work permit procedure there also and during this time see how situation unfolds with Swiss work permit. If situation turns out that I cant get Swiss work permit, I can then simply say no to the Swiss company(there is one month notice period mentioned in my contract but I dont know whether this applies with or without work permit) and go for that German company. And if getting Swiss work permit is very likely, I then reject the accepted offer of German company(which is very rude and unprofessional I know). Now I dont know risk involved in accepting two job offers from two different companies in two different countries. Lets suppose I do this, is there a chance that the German or Swiss permit authorities will come to know that my work permit procedure is also going for a job in Swiss or German ? Does anyone has similar experience?

Now salary and savings are much higher in Swiss then in Germany. But right now what I really care about is to settle with a good job. Once I get a job, I can always change the places.

I will appreciate your feedback.

Regards
JM
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.08.2011, 15:48
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

I worked for 12 years in Munich, in customer service. Lovely people, lovely city, good opportunities. Munich is a European center for engineering. Go there, I am certain you won't regret it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.08.2011, 15:57
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I am in a big dilemma right now and I urgently need some advice.

Last month I accepted a job offer from company in Bern,Switzerland and permit has been in process till now. I have still not received my work permit but started working unofficially as per the date of the contract. Just few days back a new situation has arisen. The permit has been approved by Canton but the federal office of migration wants some official documents like Masters degree, Stamped Masters transcript (I was studying Masters in Switzerland). I have yet to graduate this September but I am not sure whether I will be able to do it or not. Also many University employees are on leave till end of August and getting official Master transcript is proving very hard. Further my Swiss B Permit (I am non-EU national) is about to expire in last week of September.

The second dimension is that I also have a job offer from a big German Engineering company in Munich . I have been keeping them on hold since last 3 weeks but now they are finally asking me for a Yes/No decision.

Now in this situation I can do either of two things:

- I reject the German company offer, take chance with Swiss company, try to get my diploma this September. If i can get the diploma then of course everything is well and good but if I cant I dont know what alternatives are there to make sure I get the Swiss work permit. Only alternative I can think in this is to further extend my Swiss student B permit. In the worst case I will not get this Swiss job also.

- Second alternate thing could be I accept offer from German company and start work permit procedure there also and during this time see how situation unfolds with Swiss work permit. If situation turns out that I cant get Swiss work permit, I can then simply say no to the Swiss company(there is one month notice period mentioned in my contract but I dont know whether this applies with or without work permit) and go for that German company. And if getting Swiss work permit is very likely, I then reject the accepted offer of German company(which is very rude and unprofessional I know). Now I dont know risk involved in accepting two job offers from two different companies in two different countries. Lets suppose I do this, is there a chance that the German or Swiss permit authorities will come to know that my work permit procedure is also going for a job in Swiss or German ? Does anyone has similar experience?

Now salary and savings are much higher in Swiss then in Germany. But right now what I really care about is to settle with a good job. Once I get a job, I can always change the places.

I will appreciate your feedback.

Regards
JM
My non-professional opinion/knowledge is that you cannot have 2 jobs at the same time. In any contract I have seen, it says specifically that you can't take on any other work without approval from company. So I would think that you have to say no to the German company since you have already accepted the Swiss one (or quit the Swiss one and accept the German one - but again, maybe I am mistaken?)

Why isn't your Swiss company helping you with the permit?

Munich is lovely - and Germany is A LOT cheaper to live in that Switzerland, but I guess if you have already been here a while and are ok with the costs, then that might be a moot point.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.08.2011, 16:03
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

IMO, your job offer is irrelevant. You should finish your Master's. Don't leave that with only a few months left.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.08.2011, 16:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern/Zurich
Posts: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
johnmayer has annoyed a few people around herejohnmayer has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

My swiss company is helping me a lot....but I am not getting help from my university as everyone is on holiday. I was in Munich for the last 6 months....I think its better than any Swiss city to live.
Quote:
View Post
My non-professional opinion/knowledge is that you cannot have 2 jobs at the same time. In any contract I have seen, it says specifically that you can't take on any other work without approval from company. So I would think that you have to say no to the German company since you have already accepted the Swiss one (or quit the Swiss one and accept the German one - but again, maybe I am mistaken?)

Why isn't your Swiss company helping you with the permit?

Munich is lovely - and Germany is A LOT cheaper to live in that Switzerland, but I guess if you have already been here a while and are ok with the costs, then that might be a moot point.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.08.2011, 16:32
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

Quote:
View Post
My non-professional opinion/knowledge is that you cannot have 2 jobs at the same time. )
Well you can .. but the OP didn't ask that question .

Quote:
View Post
Why isn't your Swiss company helping you with the permit?
They are - but the authorities would like to se the qualification on which his job offer is based.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.08.2011, 16:35
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

Quote:
View Post
The permit has been approved by Canton but the federal office of migration wants some official documents like Masters degree, Stamped Masters transcript (I was studying Masters in Switzerland). I have yet to graduate this September but I am not sure whether I will be able to do it or not.
Apologies in advance if I read this wrong but it looks suspiciously like you have been offered a job based on a qualification you do not currently have. The company will need to make that very clear to the authorities. The authorities are likely going to make obtaining the masters a condition of issuing the permit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.08.2011, 16:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern/Zurich
Posts: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
johnmayer has annoyed a few people around herejohnmayer has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

Yes I dont have masters diploma right now. I have completed all courses and achieved course ECTS. Right now only dissertation defence remains to be done and my employer is aware about this. I think you are right when you say that they will issue permit conditionally that I get my masters.
Quote:
View Post
Apologies in advance if I read this wrong but it looks suspiciously like you have been offered a job based on a qualification you do not currently have. The company will need to make that very clear to the authorities. The authorities are likely going to make obtaining the masters a condition of issuing the permit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern/Zurich
Posts: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
johnmayer has annoyed a few people around herejohnmayer has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Accepting Two Job Offers - Switzerland and another from Germany

Thanks for the feedback. But what about the answer to second question I asked ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accept, job offer, multiple, permit being processed




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Air, offers from UK to Switzerland Ittigen Travel/day trips/free time 7 31.03.2011 16:46
Banned from Germany while leaving Switzerland - thoughts and options? George Chernikov Permits/visas/government 53 24.06.2010 10:47
Advice (two potential job offers, Germany vs Switzerland) Tweener Employment 74 13.01.2010 23:26
From Germany to Switzerland swisskat Introductions 3 14.08.2007 23:56
Switzerland VS Germany [job decision] ktdt77 Employment 14 20.06.2007 10:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0