Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08.09.2011, 17:28
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Lausanne
Posts: 378
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 103 Posts
LearningAlways has earned some respectLearningAlways has earned some respect
Maintain B Permit while at University in US?

We are non-EU Citizens (Americans) and have been here since August 2009 on my husband's B Permit through his job. Our daughter, who turned 18 several weeks after we arrived, also got a B permit to come with us, though there were questions at the time about whether she'd be able to get a B permit or would need to get a student visa. In August 2010, all three of our B permits were renewed for 2 years, so they now expire in 2012.

Our daughter did her last year of high school here, but is now 20 and in her second year of university in the US. So far, we have kept her B-permit even though she has only been here a few months in the past year. We are hoping to transition to a C permit in 3 more years and would like her to have the opportunity to live here long term also.

As a result of maintaining her residency here, we have been paying for her to have health insurance here and in the US, and I am starting to question the value of that double expenditure. My concern is that even if my husband and I can get a C permit after 5 years, our daughter won't be eligible since she will be over 18 and have been gone most of the time.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I am considering going to the Service de la populationDivision Etrangers in Lausanne to ask about this. Is that a useful thing to do? Any other ideas for how to get this resolved?

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintaining Residency in the US while Expatriated KeinFranzösisch Permits/visas/government 10 27.07.2011 05:14
Travel to Switzerland from US while my permit is in process nxm250 Permits/visas/government 2 22.07.2011 19:36
Health insurance for student attending university in US LearningAlways Insurance 0 24.09.2010 17:16
While transferring studies from one university to another, when and what should we do nillyBL125 Permits/visas/government 0 05.02.2010 10:13

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0