Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.09.2011, 15:44
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
You must leave Switzerland!

Okay, this is absolutely unbelievable.

Since mid-June, I've been having a nightmare trying to get a work permit processed for an unpaid internship. Let me repeat that, an UNPAID internship. I am non-EU and already in Switzerland, which have been at the heart of the problems with which I have been dealing.

To make a long story short, the most recent development (as a result of the changes made on January 1 2011) was that my employer and I needed to submit some more documents, one of which is a "letter of engagement to leave the territory after the end of the internship."

What the *&*%??

I want to continue applying for jobs (hopefully paid) during and after this internship. Does this mean that even if I get a job offer to begin shortly after the end of the internship, I am not able to accept it? Must I leave immediately after the internship?

Has anyone else been forced to sign this, and still been able to stay in Switzerland after?

*deep sigh*
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.09.2011, 15:59
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post

What the *&*%??
Apparently they only do it for people who have i) ginger hair and ii) people who leave the country when they don't have their visa approved
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.09.2011, 16:21
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,273
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,568 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post
Okay, this is absolutely unbelievable.

Since mid-June, I've been having a nightmare trying to get a work permit processed for an unpaid internship. Let me repeat that, an UNPAID internship. I am non-EU and already in Switzerland, which have been at the heart of the problems with which I have been dealing.

To make a long story short, the most recent development (as a result of the changes made on January 1 2011) was that my employer and I needed to submit some more documents, one of which is a "letter of engagement to leave the territory after the end of the internship."

What the *&*%??

I want to continue applying for jobs (hopefully paid) during and after this internship. Does this mean that even if I get a job offer to begin shortly after the end of the internship, I am not able to accept it? Must I leave immediately after the internship?

Has anyone else been forced to sign this, and still been able to stay in Switzerland after?

*deep sigh*
That doesn't sound unreasonable. The permit is issued for a temporary period for your internship. After that you would need a new permit for visiting/job-hunting/work etc.

I don't know whether there is a set period that you have to leave for. It may just be a technicality.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Deep Purple for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.09.2011, 17:08
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post
That doesn't sound unreasonable. The permit is issued for a temporary period for your internship. After that you would need a new permit for visiting/job-hunting/work etc.

I don't know whether there is a set period that you have to leave for. It may just be a technicality.
I agree. These are the terms of THIS permit. If you want to stay you will have to apply for a new permit. Hopefully by then you'll have permanent offer.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 09.09.2011, 17:11
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,182
Groaned at 667 Times in 517 Posts
Thanked 26,087 Times in 10,518 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post
I want to continue applying for jobs (hopefully paid) during and after this internship. Does this mean that even if I get a job offer to begin shortly after the end of the internship, I am not able to accept it? Must I leave immediately after the internship?
Sounds fair enough to me. If you going to the U.S. and you casually mentioned that you were thinking of looking for a job, they wouldn't even let you in the country.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.09.2011, 17:11
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Apologies for the tone. Perhaps I should have taken a deep breath between finding out and venting on EF.

The thing that worries me is that now I am forced to sign a document that states that I will be leaving after the internship. But what if I receive another job offer to begin immediately after (which is the plan)? Will they deny me that opportunity based on this signed letter?

To me, it's kind of implicit that without a valid work permit, you need to leave unless you have another work permit processing. Why the need for this?

Last edited by M. Ploymi; 09.09.2011 at 17:12. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank M. Ploymi for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.09.2011, 17:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 481
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 267 Times in 168 Posts
gourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeable
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

I have come across this in other countries and it is exactly as it stated. YOU MUST LEAVE after this visa is over. Then if you want to come back, you have to reapply outside of the country. More than likely you will not be given the same visa again. However, this is the term. Don't sign it, you don't get the visa. Sign it you get it but you must leave at the end, then re-apply for another one to re-enter.

This is a standard immigration procedure now to prevent people just swapping visa to prolong their stay.

No good complain about it, it is more or less standard in most of the European, USA etc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gourmet for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 09.09.2011, 18:23
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post
Apologies for the tone. Perhaps I should have taken a deep breath between finding out and venting on EF.

The thing that worries me is that now I am forced to sign a document that states that I will be leaving after the internship. But what if I receive another job offer to begin immediately after (which is the plan)? Will they deny me that opportunity based on this signed letter?

To me, it's kind of implicit that without a valid work permit, you need to leave unless you have another work permit processing. Why the need for this?
No need to apologize. We get that it's frustrating. I'm sure that if you get an offer for a perm job with a company that will sponsor you that they will not trot out this paper. But I'm an optimist (when I'm not being pessimistic).

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.09.2011, 22:56
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: You must leave Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post
The thing that worries me is that now I am forced to sign a document that states that I will be leaving after the internship. But what if I receive another job offer to begin immediately after (which is the plan)? Will they deny me that opportunity based on this signed letter?
Yes they will. The law is in place to prevent this sort of thing happening - companies or individuals obtaining an easier internship or training permit and subsequently attempting to convert to a normal work permit without going through the standard procedures.

The permit you will receive requires that you have a break outside Switzerland before returning to take up employment. You will be subject to the quota system for the new employment.

The length of the break is not precisely defined but can be up to one year.

Are the rules any different in your home country?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Often do you leave Switzerland ? Guest Daily life 12 08.11.2010 16:30
What would you do if your wife plans to leave you... Treverus Family matters/health 93 25.10.2010 21:21
Switzerland- would you stay or do you want to leave? ankorian Other/general 136 28.08.2009 12:06
Should you surrender a Swiss licence when you leave? Castro Transportation/driving 8 12.09.2008 10:34
debts after you leave Switzerland ktdt77 Finance/banking/taxation 9 05.07.2007 15:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0