Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.10.2011, 12:01
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
annas has earned some respectannas has earned some respect
A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

I am writing on the behalf of a friend that is a refugee here in Switzerland but would like to move to another country. He thinks mainly about another European country and UK would be probably the first choice.
Does anyone knows if that is possible?

At the moment he's got a B permit and can travel almost everywhere but not to the UK. Would he be able to travel there and temporally stay?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.10.2011, 12:13
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

He can travel to the UK ( the visa costs EUR99 ) if he choses to but only to vist, not to stay for longer than 6 months.

He must have firm reasons to asylum shop such as a work contract from the UK, strong family ties etc. There is an agreement called the EATRR, but rarely granted by the UK.

PDF for EATRR

I strongly suggest he signs up on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
swiss-refugee-can-reapply-asylum-status-another-country-eatrr.png  
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.10.2011, 12:18
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
I am writing on the behalf of a friend that is a refugee here in Switzerland but would like to move to another country. He thinks mainly about another European country and UK would be probably the first choice.
Does anyone knows if that is possible?

At the moment he's got a B permit and can travel almost everywhere but not to the UK. Would he be able to travel there and temporally stay?

Thanks for your help
I'm interested here - he is a refugee from his own country. The swiss have kindly allowed him in and given him residence. And now he doesn't like it! I didn't realise that asylum was a form of tourism ....
Shouldn't he be grateful for gaining asylum - or am I missing something fundamental
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 14.10.2011, 12:22
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-readable_passport

Does he have an XXB Swiss issued Refugee Travel Document ( Dark Blue with two white stripes ) ?

If he has another such as XXA, XXC or XXX, it will be very unlikely the UK will accept him ( difficult to establish real identity ).

Switzerland also has treaties ( Nos. 7632 and 7633 ), still valid and has not been repealed, with the Benelux areas, as an alternative:

http://untreaty.un.org/unts/1_60000/15/23/00029138.pdf

http://untreaty.un.org/unts/1_60000/15/23/00029139.pdf

Some choose this route as Belgium offers citizenship within 3 years cf. CH in 12-14 years.
__________________
404 – punoɟ ʇou ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ

Last edited by jrspet; 14.10.2011 at 12:51.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
He thinks mainly about another European country and UK would be probably the first choice.

what a suprise.......

ill welcome with open arms the groans
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
annas has earned some respectannas has earned some respect
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-readable_passport

Does he have an XXB Swiss issued Refugee Travel Document ( Dark Blue with two white stripes ) ?

If he has another such as XXA, XXC or XXX, it will be very unlikely the UK will accept him ( difficult to establish real identity ).

I strongly suggest he signs up on this forum.
Thanks a lot for your answers. Yes, he has the first pass, so I guess he can apply for a temporary visa the way you mentioned.

I am writing on his behalf because he doesn't speak very well English..

Quote:
View Post
Shouldn't he be grateful for gaining asylum - or am I missing something fundamental
I see.. He's surely grateful and he doesn't take his refugee status as a tourist vacation. I can only add that he's experiencing at the moment some very serious personal problems, that's why he's considering the possibility of moving to another country.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
annas has earned some respectannas has earned some respect
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-readable_passport
Switzerland also has treaties ( Nos. 7632 and 7633 ), still valid and has not been repealed, with the Benelux areas, as an alternative:

http://untreaty.un.org/unts/1_60000/15/23/00029138.pdf

http://untreaty.un.org/unts/1_60000/15/23/00029139.pdf

Some choose this route as Belgium offers citizenship within 3 years cf. CH in 12-14 years.
that's very useful, thanks so much! I will read it through and let him know! thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
what a suprise.......

ill welcome with open arms the groans
A refugee is a legal immigrant. There is a legal means by which refugees may move from the country which granted them asylum to the United Kingdom.

Where is the problem?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:19
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
I am writing on his behalf because he doesn't speak very well English..
This alone might be a problem for the transfer to the UK
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:26
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 130
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 29 Posts
princeali has made some interesting contributions
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
I'm interested here - he is a refugee from his own country. The swiss have kindly allowed him in and given him residence. And now he doesn't like it! I didn't realise that asylum was a form of tourism ....
Shouldn't he be grateful for gaining asylum - or am I missing something fundamental
I think you are. Just because one has been granted a refugee status in one country doesn't mean one has to stay only in that country if circumstances prevail that makes it hard/impossible to stay; hence, the reason many countries have bilateral agreements to this effect.

Where else can one go as a refugee that can't return to the country of citizenship and can't stay in the boarding country?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank princeali for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.10.2011, 13:49
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
annas has earned some respectannas has earned some respect
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
There is a legal means by which refugees may move from the country which granted them asylum to the United Kingdom.
Quote:
View Post
many countries have bilateral agreements to this effect.
Thanks a lot for that, and also that is exactly what I am trying to find out.
In internet I only find info for asylum seekers, whilst what I need to know is how he can move/transfer to another country as a refugee (that has already been granted asylum).

Quote:
This alone might be a problem for the transfer to the UK
true!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.10.2011, 14:23
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

If he has completed 5 years of residence here in CH, he will automatically get a C permit, which is like an EU LTR ( Long Term Resident ) card, and thus can visit and work within the EU so long as current treaties remain valid.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...1/99&type=HTML

but note:

Quote:
Member states will have to comply with the new rules within two years. The UK, Ireland and Denmark are not taking part in the application of these rules.
To visit the UK, here is another thread on applying through World Bridge:

Visiting the UK, with a Non-EU passport, with a swiss "carte de legitimation"

Last edited by jrspet; 14.10.2011 at 14:42.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 14.10.2011, 14:31
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,188 Times in 3,402 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
A refugee is a legal immigrant. There is a legal means by which refugees may move from the country which granted them asylum to the United Kingdom.

Where is the problem?[/
His personal problem I guess

Last edited by jrspet; 14.10.2011 at 14:33. Reason: Fixed quoting error
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14.10.2011, 17:09
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
I think you are. Just because one has been granted a refugee status in one country doesn't mean one has to stay only in that country if circumstances prevail that makes it hard/impossible to stay; hence, the reason many countries have bilateral agreements to this effect.

Where else can one go as a refugee that can't return to the country of citizenship and can't stay in the boarding country?
Well, that's ok then. Thank you for bringing me up to speed. Is hardship considered a financial ( i.e they no longer get state support so move to somewhere where they can) parameter?

Presumably being dumped by a girlfriend /boyfriend doesn't cut it, whereas religious persecution would do?

For the OP - if he has considerable personal problems, would he not be better in a country where he can communicate ?
Obviously it will depend on what the issues are but most people wouldn't have the chance to up sticks and move to another country - can the issues not be sorted here where they are amongst some friends ??

Personally I would suggest the UK, because a) it is awash with Poles - who are doing a great job at occupying a lot of the jobs ( and offering hard work and great service) and unemployment at 2.7 mio will make life tough
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.02.2012, 12:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: iran
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
farfar has no particular reputation at present
Re: A swiss refugee can reapply for asylum status in another country?

Quote:
View Post
I am writing on the behalf of a friend that is a refugee here in Switzerland but would like to move to another country. He thinks mainly about another European country and UK would be probably the first choice.
Does anyone knows if that is possible?

At the moment he's got a B permit and can travel almost everywhere but not to the UK. Would he be able to travel there and temporally stay?

Thanks for your help
my friend,
may i ask what was the problem of your friend in switzerland as an refugee?switzerland sounds great for refugees.doesn`t it?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax filing status when separated and spouse in another country TitanTurbo10 Finance/banking/taxation 2 21.06.2011 17:31
using swiss passport to live/work in another country? dannnnn Permits/visas/government 5 28.04.2011 07:34
South African Man granted Refugee Status Maple Leaf International affairs/politics 1 02.09.2009 18:25
Can you be sued in Switzerland for debts from another country? Guest Finance/banking/taxation 12 17.08.2007 10:58
Refugee in US looking to reunite with wife&child with refugee status in Switzerland AdamI Permits/visas/government 21 29.05.2007 17:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0