Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28.12.2011, 19:07
Alayna23's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ZH-Affoltern
Posts: 68
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 9 Posts
Alayna23 is considered knowledgeableAlayna23 is considered knowledgeableAlayna23 is considered knowledgeable
American applying for D permit in Swiss husband's canton

Before I write my question, let me honestly say I looked in the forum and did not see a question similar. Here it goes:

- I am an American citizen, who recently married my Swiss husband in the US. We are moving to Lugano and we are applying for my D visa/ Family regroupment visa. We have already began the process for the marriage certification.

I plan to go to Switzerland on January 10th. Can I begin the permit application process IN Switzerland? Or, do I need to begin it at the the consulate here in the US? What are the consequences if I begin in Switzerland?

We have been making numerous calls to the consulate and to Bern, and to my husband's canton and this problem never arised the past few months and the problem never arised; we thought it was okay to begin the process in Switzerland granted I had all of my necessary paperwork with me.

We will be calling the consulate and Bern tomorrow first thing in the AM, but this is killing us. My husband's canton is Ticino (capital, Bellizona).

Anyway- t minus 13 days until my big move, and whether they want me or not, I am super excited.

Thank you englishforum
Reply With Quote
Old 28.12.2011, 23:24
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American applying for D permit in Swiss husband's canton

You need to apply for an entry visa (D visa) it in your place of residence, in your case the US, at the Swiss consulate that is in charge of your part of the country. You simply can not apply for an entry visa in Switzerland. The consequences will be that you have to go back to the US to apply for your entry visa.

What consulate in Bern are you planning on calling? The US one? They can't do anything for you as they have no part in issuing Swiss visas.

Just to be clear: You need a D entry visa and then you will apply for your residence permit when you arrive in Switzerland which will be a B permit.

D visa, B permit two different things.

You could try to apply directly at the canton for the B permit. But you have to be prepared for them to send you back to the US to get the appropriate entry permit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non EU and Non American : Language requirement for C Permit after 10 years ZH Canton shrineha Permits/visas/government 19 01.02.2013 22:54
Applying for Residence Permit in Muttenz mckn1107 Permits/visas/government 1 03.09.2011 15:20
American C permit; Husband B, Separating with children considering Permits/visas/government 1 19.07.2011 21:33
Applying for a permit in temp housing johnw00t Permits/visas/government 2 19.01.2008 19:32
Student B Switching & Applying In another Canton thecapaccino Permits/visas/government 1 06.07.2007 11:59

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0