Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.04.2012, 05:41
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
nonameface13 has no particular reputation at present
Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Hi all,

My wife is a Swiss Citizen, born in Switzerland. She immigrated to the US in October 2011 to live with me, her husband. I have 3 questions:

1. Can I apply for Swiss citizenship after being married to my wife for six years, while living overseas (in the US)? I read this somewhere.

2. Will our children also have Swiss citizenship (whether I gain citizenship or not?)

3. If so, can our children attend Swiss Universities when they become of age (and not pay very much for tuition, as we do in the US!?)

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.04.2012, 08:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

My wife is a Swiss Citizen, born in Switzerland. She immigrated to the US in October 2011 to live with me, her husband. I have 3 questions:

1. Can I apply for Swiss citizenship after being married to my wife for six years, while living overseas (in the US)? I read this somewhere.

2. Will our children also have Swiss citizenship (whether I gain citizenship or not?)

3. If so, can our children attend Swiss Universities when they become of age (and not pay very much for tuition, as we do in the US!?)

Thanks for your help.
1) Yes. Contact your local Swiss Embassy/Consulate for the details and to set up an initial interview. You/your spouse need to have maintained some tiies to Switzerland though. This link gives more information on facilitated naturalisation:
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/bfm/...uergerung.html

2) If your wife is Swiss why aren't the children already Swiss? But in any case the children need to be under the age of 18 when the application is submitted in order to be included in the process and they link automatically to your application. Not sure about them being naturalised separately.

3) For questions related to studies this link may be useful:
http://www.crus.ch/direkteinstieg-fu...dents.html?L=2
If your children are Swiss they would qualify for Swiss fees.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.04.2012, 18:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
nonameface13 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Thanks Snoopy!

My wife and I don't have kids yet. So I just wanted to make sure... that if she's Swiss, immigrates to the US, and then has children (with me of course) on US soil, will they also have Swiss citizenship, or is there an application process? But assuming from your response, I guess there's an application process.

I was also wondering, if our future children obtain dual citizenship... US/Swiss... will they have to serve in the Swiss military as the citizens are obligated to? Hmm...

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.04.2012, 19:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

You don't have children yet but you are already thinking about university? If that isn't forward planning, I don't know what is!! I'm impressed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.04.2012, 19:29
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,873
Groaned at 180 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,124 Times in 3,360 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Snoopy!

My wife and I don't have kids yet. So I just wanted to make sure... that if she's Swiss, immigrates to the US, and then has children (with me of course) on US soil, will they also have Swiss citizenship, or is there an application process? But assuming from your response, I guess there's an application process.

I was also wondering, if our future children obtain dual citizenship... US/Swiss... will they have to serve in the Swiss military as the citizens are obligated to? Hmm...

Thanks again!
If they live in swizerland Yes.If the did service in the USA they don,t have to do service in switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.04.2012, 19:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
If they live in swizerland Yes.If the did service in the USA they don,t have to do service in switzerland
I didn't see that part. The children have not even been born yet. At the rate they are going Switzerland won't even have an army by the time the children are of military age....

Last edited by Snoopy; 14.04.2012 at 20:53.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.04.2012, 20:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
nonameface13 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Well, military service in the US is not mandatory. They likely will not enlist. So, I'm assuming from your response, if they're going to Switzerland solely for University (and living there for 4 years or so), they do not have to serve in the Swiss military?

Yes Snoopy! University in the US can cost about $30,000/year for just one child! I would just like to have that option open for them (to study in Switzerland), if they so choose.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.04.2012, 20:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,194
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
Well, military service in the US is not mandatory. They likely will not enlist. So, I'm assuming from your response, if they're going to Switzerland solely for University (and living there for 4 years or so), they do not have to serve in the Swiss military?

Yes Snoopy! University in the US can cost about $30,000/year for just one child! I would just like to have that option open for them (to study in Switzerland), if they so choose.

Thanks again.
I thought - although I could well be wrong - that if a male child has Swiss citizenship and comes to Switzerland for university, that boy would be eligible for Swiss military service.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.04.2012, 20:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
I thought - although I could well be wrong - that if a male child has Swiss citizenship and comes to Switzerland for university, that boy would be eligible for Swiss military service.
You are correct. If they are of age and they are Swiss and they are resident in Switzerland they will be on the authorities radar. Being Swiss they wouldn't need visas, so as far as the authorities are concerned they are just living here. The fact that they would just be here to study is irrelevant.

Of course, the OP would have to know that his yet to be born child will be a boy... if it is a girl, then it is a moot point.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.04.2012, 21:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,865
Groaned at 107 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,209 Times in 2,668 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

What if it is a boy without a winkle?



Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
You are correct. If they are of age and they are Swiss and they are resident in Switzerland they will be on the authorities radar. Being Swiss they wouldn't need visas, so as far as the authorities are concerned they are just living here. The fact that they would just be here to study is irrelevant.

Of course, the OP would have to know that his yet to be born child will be a boy... if it is a girl, then it is a moot point.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.04.2012, 21:10
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,850
Groaned at 272 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,973 Times in 7,182 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
You don't have children yet but you are already thinking about university? If that isn't forward planning, I don't know what is!! I'm impressed.
someone give him his swiss passport, already!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 14.04.2012, 21:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

OP,

To answer your 2nd question:

Swiss citizenship is threefold:
I (federal), II (cantonal), III (communal).

Your kids will be Swiss as long as at least one of the parents is Swiss.

If both parents are Swiss (which you will be if you acquire citizenship before birth of your children), your children will receive the father's cantonal and communal Swiss citizenship.

If you're married but you as the father aren't Swiss (yet), your children will receive the mother's cantonal and communal Swiss citizenship.

Article 271 of the Swiss CC.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15.04.2012, 01:40
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

If you want them to go to University in Switzerland then you must make sure they have university level language skills. They should be studying one of the Swiss languages from birth and will need tutoring at they go through school.

Thumbs up on the planning ahead!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15.04.2012, 05:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
nonameface13 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

glowjupiter, miniMia: Thank you very much! I appreciate the reference especially, glow.

Thanks again both
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15.04.2012, 09:20
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Why has nobody mentioned the entry requirements (aside from a quiet non-english link at the beginning)?

American high school is not sufficient for admission into a Swiss university at the bachelor level.

You would have to plan out the requirements from quite early, most likely involving a private school that offers an international baccalaureate.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15.04.2012, 13:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
Why has nobody mentioned the entry requirements (aside from a quiet non-english link at the beginning)?

American high school is not sufficient for admission into a Swiss university at the bachelor level.

You would have to plan out the requirements from quite early, most likely involving a private school that offers an international baccalaureate.
As the child has not yet been born maybe this would be taking advance planning too far, particularly as entrance requirements may well change in the next 18-20 years...also, as the OP's wife is Swiss, I am sure that she would be able to manage at least one of the national languages without too much difficulty...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15.04.2012, 14:37
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post
As the child has not yet been born maybe this would be taking advance planning too far, particularly as entrance requirements may well change in the next 18-20 years...also, as the OP's wife is Swiss, I am sure that she would be able to manage at least one of the national languages without too much difficulty...
This has nothing to do with the language.

Extremely distant planning, yes, but this whole conversation revolves around fact finding anyway - pointless to discuss something easy to accommodate like language without going into academic standards, which may be unchangeable.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19.01.2013, 16:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: geneve
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
soffyy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

How long it will take to approve the citizenship if you apply from outside Switzerland?is it one year or more?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19.01.2013, 16:54
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,101
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 428 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
I thought - although I could well be wrong - that if a male child has Swiss citizenship and comes to Switzerland for university, that boy would be eligible for Swiss military service.
Not sure about university, but if he decides to move to CH later in life and he's still within the age to serve, he has the choice to serve or pay 3% of his salary until the year of his 31st birthday. That's how it worked with my hubby - born in Canada to Swiss parents, moved here when he was 29. We had to pay 2 years as he chose not to do his military service (which he was exempt from when he was living in Canada).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.01.2013, 11:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dübi
Posts: 494
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 362 Times in 211 Posts
Jaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of many
Re: Can I get Swiss citizenship after 6 years of marriage to a Swiss citizen?

Quote:
View Post

Yes Snoopy! University in the US can cost about $30,000/year for just one child! I would just like to have that option open for them (to study in Switzerland), if they so choose.

Thanks again.
))

I pay about 25k USD / CHF per year for day car for a 2 year old here
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jaceq for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Citizenship after 8 years? [Now 10 years] Guest Permits/visas/government 523 18.10.2017 00:07
Can I apply for a Swiss citizenship after 3 years of marriage? andy.swiss Permits/visas/government 8 17.09.2011 19:07
Swiss Marriage Certificate [US Citizen] shelbylord Permits/visas/government 2 25.04.2011 20:30
Aussies can get permit C after 5 years Nanda Permits/visas/government 6 29.06.2008 17:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0