Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.06.2012, 05:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sofiya has no particular reputation at present
Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

I want to move to Switzerland.

I know that you're allowed to stay in Switzerland for up to three months without having a job. Hopefully I will find one but does anyone know how often the three month rule applies? Can I stay for three months, leave the country for a week and then come back for another three months? Or is it that I can stay for up to three months every year? Two years? etc.

Any info on this rule would be super helpful because all the legal stuff I've read on it so far hasn't really been clear.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.06.2012, 05:31
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 9,061
Groaned at 288 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 19,272 Times in 7,607 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
I want to move to Switzerland.
Why?

Quote:
View Post
I know that you're allowed to stay in Switzerland for up to three months without having a job. Hopefully I will find one but does anyone know how often the three month rule applies? Can I stay for three months, leave the country for a week and then come back for another three months? Or is it that I can stay for up to three months every year? Two years? etc.
You can stay for three months as a tourist -- technically, not as a job hunter.

I don't know the answer to your multiple-visit question. I can tell you that Switzerland is party to the Schengen Agreement, as are its neighbours, so you would be free to come and go as you please; therefore it would be difficult to assess how long you had been in Switzerland. However, I wouldn't try to pull the wool over Swiss authorities' eyes. They don't like it, and can get a touch pernickety.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.06.2012, 07:46
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,109
Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,023 Times in 2,804 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Do you have a EU or UK passport ?

If not, it's not technically acceptable to come in as a 'tourist' and then go 'job hunting'...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.06.2012, 08:27
Texaner's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 2,048
Groaned at 99 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,429 Posts
Texaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
I want to move to Switzerland.

I know that you're allowed to stay in Switzerland for up to three months without having a job. Hopefully I will find one but does anyone know how often the three month rule applies? Can I stay for three months, leave the country for a week and then come back for another three months? Or is it that I can stay for up to three months every year? Two years? etc.

Any info on this rule would be super helpful because all the legal stuff I've read on it so far hasn't really been clear.
Answer....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.06.2012, 09:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thalwil, Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
campkm has earned some respectcampkm has earned some respect
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

This is a good website (mostly english with some .pdf documents in German) for reading a little more about employment within Switzerland

http://www.ch.ch/private/00054/00055...x.html?lang=en

It is also a good website for other useful information, living here, etc.

Hope this helps?
campkm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.06.2012, 11:37
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,991
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

90 days in Schengen, 90 days out of Schengen. That's basically the rule. Non-EU people have a very very difficult time getting a job in Switzerland. If you are non-EU best to find the job before you come over.

Good luck.

Last edited by miniMia; 10.11.2012 at 15:04.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.06.2012, 16:58
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,281
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 908 Times in 446 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
I can tell you that Switzerland is party to the Schengen Agreement, as are its neighbours, so you would be free to come and go as you please; therefore it would be difficult to assess how long you had been in Switzerland. However, I wouldn't try to pull the wool over Swiss authorities' eyes. They don't like it, and can get a touch pernickety.
It wouldn't be difficult to tell how long the person has been here because the 90 days applies to the entire shengen area. So if you spend a couple of days in Italy before (or during) your stay the 90 day "clock" in Switzerland has started.

When you enter any country within the shengen area, your passport will be stamped and indicate that you entered on a certain date....If you leave the Shengen area after the 90 days, you will have your passport examined and if they noticed you overstayed...you can get fined and the passport will likely be blacklisted for a period which depends on the severity of the transgression.

So...you could come here...live longer than 90 days...but after that you will get caught
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kiwiguy08 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.06.2012, 21:31
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,714
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

A word of warning, a friend of mine a few years ago overstayed the 90 days deliberately and was hit with a 2 year penalty.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 20.06.2012, 22:10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 146
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts
Quebecman is considered knowledgeableQuebecman is considered knowledgeableQuebecman is considered knowledgeable
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

How could you possibly come here as a tourist and try to stay more than 3 months? You'll have to sleep somewhere. More than 3 months in hotels? Without a job? I hope you have a lot of money to spend. Rent an apartment? Won't you have to register at the Contrôle des Habitants? They'll want to see your visa!
My advice: know and follow the rules.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Quebecman for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 20.06.2012, 22:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
rbsnyder2001 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
Answer....
what about non working spouses? 90 day rule apply? i carefully read the "answer" as you posted, and there is no mention of spouses.

any help?

VD
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.06.2012, 22:52
anowheels's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Not Zurich
Posts: 988
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 668 Times in 401 Posts
anowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputation
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

then the spouse (who is working in Switzerland) applies for a family reunification visa for the spouse.

Quote:
View Post
what about non working spouses? 90 day rule apply? i carefully read the "answer" as you posted, and there is no mention of spouses.

any help?

VD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.06.2012, 23:03
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,062
Groaned at 2,143 Times in 1,599 Posts
Thanked 36,039 Times in 17,087 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
A word of warning, a friend of mine a few years ago overstayed the 90 days deliberately and was hit with a 2 year penalty.
I knew a Swiss guy who did that in the US, and even though he only overstayed by two days (while on business), got a TEN YEAR penalty!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.06.2012, 11:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,421
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,742 Times in 719 Posts
simplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
I knew a Swiss guy who did that in the US, and even though he only overstayed by two days (while on business), got a TEN YEAR penalty!

Tom
He at least did overstay. A friend on mine couldn't get into the States because he couldn't convince the custom officers that he really was THE Peter Meier and not another one. He had to take the next plane taking off LA and found himself in Vancouver. There he got himself a car and drove without any problems back to Los Angeles, where we met with a delay of two days.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.06.2012, 02:02
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,526
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
He at least did overstay. A friend on mine couldn't get into the States because he couldn't convince the custom officers that he really was THE Peter Meier and not another one. He had to take the next plane taking off LA and found himself in Vancouver. There he got himself a car and drove without any problems back to Los Angeles, where we met with a delay of two days.
A few years ago, when dirty furriners upon entering the USA still got that little tourist visa coupon (I-94W Departure Card) stapled to their passports, which was removed by the airline staff at the gate desk while leaving the USA, my coupon was not removed. I noticed that mistake several months after returning to Switzerland. From the legal point of view of the US immigration authorities, I was an overstay, although I had left the country.

There is a little office in London, Kentucky, that deals with such cases. At that point in time, all it had was a P.O. box address, no street address, let alone a phone number, fax number or email address. I was asked to send them evidence of my presence in Switzerland, such as boarding passes (who keeps them?), wage slips (I'm self employed), a Swiss immigration stamp in my passport (I'm Swiss, so I didn't get any), signed bank checks (nobody uses checks in Switzerland, it's sooo medieval) -- the whole list of possible documents didn't apply to my case.

The guys in Kentucky usually needed eight weeks to answer one of my letters, and express was mail impossible, because that needs a street address. In summer, the time for my next trip to the USA was running out. A friend of mine in Michigan, a famous journalist, suggested to ask the regional Representative on the Hill for help. And that helped indeed. Within ten days, my next entry to the USA was cleared. Without that, I would have been arrested on the spot and put in the next plane leaving the country, no matter what the destination was. Seriously.

That's bureaucracy at its best. And now the USA even demand payment of kind of an entrance fee for tourist, saying the profit is used for promoting tourism. That's like to promote virginity.

Swiss authorities handle overstays fairly strictly, which, in my opinion, is a necessity to prevent abuse, but they are humans too. My American OH recently had an issue, an overstay of one day due to a canceled flight. A brief call to the Federal Immagration Office in Bern solved the case within minutes, and other than a somewhat-longer-than-usual look of the guy in the passport booth at the monitor after scanning her passport, there was no problem.
__________________

"Lots of jokes about the My Pillow guy but ask yourself this: Does anyone know who Biden’s pillow guy is? We’re about to have a president who has no advisors from the pillow industry. Let that sink in." — Sarah Cooper

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.06.2012, 14:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
A few years ago, when dirty furriners upon entering the USA still got that little tourist visa coupon (I-94W Departure Card) stapled to their passports, which was removed by the airline staff at the gate desk while leaving the USA, my coupon was not removed. I noticed that mistake several months after returning to Switzerland. From the legal point of view of the US immigration authorities, I was an overstay, although I had left the country.

There is a little office in London, Kentucky, that deals with such cases. At that point in time, all it had was a P.O. box address, no street address, let alone a phone number, fax number or email address. I was asked to send them evidence of my presence in Switzerland, such as boarding passes (who keeps them?), wage slips (I'm self employed), a Swiss immigration stamp in my passport (I'm Swiss, so I didn't get any), signed bank checks (nobody uses checks in Switzerland, it's sooo medieval) -- the whole list of possible documents didn't apply to my case.
Dirty furriners still get it if entering the US on a visa.

About a month ago I was flying out of Tampa towards the Bahamas so I stopped halfways in Fort Lauderdale Exec to get an exit stamp or surrender the I94 to the customs officer. There's no exit stamp, and the CBP wouldn't accept my I94 stub "because there is no procedure for the pilot surrendering his own I94, and how do we know if you really leave the country". So how do I prove I left the country? "Not our problem". Ah.

Eventually I was able to reenter the US not once but twice without having officially left. So much for the efficiency of inflated bureaucracy and border paranoia.
__________________
The opinions expressed above are not necessarily the opinions of management and in fact may be the opposite of that intended in order to confuse and obfuscate trolling readers.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.09.2012, 14:47
ozibird's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 157
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts
ozibird has made some interesting contributions
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

simply amazing Shorrick .....but then I had to look up your word "obfuscate".

Can someone please help me count? or tell me when the counting re-sets? my husband and I are confused on the issue but understand the basics, 90days in 180.

I have always tried to be within this when I escape the heat to walk through Switzerland but on leaving this summer (sadly) the Airport Migration lady looked for about 10 minutes at all my passport stamps - viele vom in der Schweiz naturalich. And in my schleckt Schweizer Deutsch I told her about my Schweizer friends, langauge learning, bergwald projekt, Wanderung...and she is probably still getting lots of laughs over her story........

then having an hour to wait for the flight (I hate being late) I did a little counting myself.....mmmm.....it seems to me that within a 148 day period, I did 4 trips from outside Schengen to in der Schweiz and Schengen....that amounted to 105 days....so please , when does the clock re-set?
does this mean I cant go back for 180 days now ? ie no white Christmas?

we so want B permits, as Australians it seems almost impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.09.2012, 16:16
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,991
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
simply amazing Shorrick .....but then I had to look up your word "obfuscate".

Can someone please help me count? or tell me when the counting re-sets? my husband and I are confused on the issue but understand the basics, 90days in 180.

I have always tried to be within this when I escape the heat to walk through Switzerland but on leaving this summer (sadly) the Airport Migration lady looked for about 10 minutes at all my passport stamps - viele vom in der Schweiz naturalich. And in my schleckt Schweizer Deutsch I told her about my Schweizer friends, langauge learning, bergwald projekt, Wanderung...and she is probably still getting lots of laughs over her story........

then having an hour to wait for the flight (I hate being late) I did a little counting myself.....mmmm.....it seems to me that within a 148 day period, I did 4 trips from outside Schengen to in der Schweiz and Schengen....that amounted to 105 days....so please , when does the clock re-set?
does this mean I cant go back for 180 days now ? ie no white Christmas?

we so want B permits, as Australians it seems almost impossible.
Please use only English on the forum. If you write in another language you should translate it to English. So I have no idea what you said or what the agent said.

But since you are over your 90 days in a 180 day period you need to wait another 90 days before you can come back in.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10.09.2012, 16:24
ozibird's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 157
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts
ozibird has made some interesting contributions
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

so my humour does not translate either?
sorry I am just not 'getting it' but when does the clock re-set? it seems that it is not when you leave the 1st time, but that a whole 180 days must go by? is that it ?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10.09.2012, 16:37
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,991
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

Quote:
View Post
so my humour does not translate either?
sorry I am just not 'getting it' but when does the clock re-set? it seems that it is not when you leave the 1st time, but that a whole 180 days must go by? is that it ?
There is no set time for when the "clock rests". If you have already used up 90 days within the last 180 days then you need to wait another 90 days before you can come back otherwise you'll be over the limit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 10.09.2012, 17:36
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,062
Groaned at 2,143 Times in 1,599 Posts
Thanked 36,039 Times in 17,087 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Staying in Switzerland - Three Month Rule

It's a sliding 180 day window, so if you have 90 days in the past 180, you have to wait until you have less than 90.

If today you have 90, but tomorrow you only have 89, then tomorrow you can come for one day.

If you want to come for 30 days, you must wait until the date that you only have 60 days in the past 180, etc.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
moving, switzerland, three months, tourist, visa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renewing subscription for general abonnement - 4 month rule? Vlh22 Transportation/driving 4 21.07.2011 11:13
Importing a car and the 6th month rule LordNacho Transportation/driving 21 27.01.2011 20:55
Non-EU Citizen 3 Month Rule nicholas. Permits/visas/government 2 29.07.2010 19:31
Does the 6 month rule apply if leasing a car through a company? Disco Dale Transportation/driving 4 04.07.2010 23:36
Uk Car - 12 month rule - would like a bit longer ! ibk Transportation/driving 7 22.09.2009 22:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0