Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 28.04.2013, 10:20
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

I have lived here since 1989, and have a C permit since 1994. One important lesson I learn't is not to rely on anyone, especially on a forum for ex-pats, you need to inform yourself of the laws of Switzerland.

I repeat myself: on the back page of the beige permit is clearly printed in German and in French that up to 2 weeks before expiry of the permit, you must apply to the authorities for a renewal. There are no valid arguments against this very simple fact! If you don't apply in time, your permit will lapse, and you will not be able to work.

This usually means going down to the Commune / Gemeinde with your valid passport and maybe two new photos and maybe your employment and rental contracts. (Take them with you, and then you won't have to go back again!) They might ask you to complete an application form, they might not. Depending on how much tax you pay, you might get a free gift and a kiss, but don't be too disappointed!

.

Last edited by Sbrinz; 28.04.2013 at 15:26. Reason: stressed the importance
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 28.04.2013, 15:11
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,465
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,261 Times in 622 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Just call the gemeinde and ask - problem solved

sorry, but personally I would never ask about permit stuff here on the EF, doesn't make any sense...

things change all the time, and may differ from gemeinde to gemeinde...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 28.04.2013, 18:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 1,043
Groaned at 253 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 687 Times in 428 Posts
Bucentaure is considered unworthyBucentaure is considered unworthyBucentaure is considered unworthy
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Quote:
View Post
...
I repeat myself: on the back page of the beige permit is clearly printed in German and in French that up to 2 weeks before expiry of the permit, you must apply to the authorities for a renewal. There are no valid arguments against this very simple fact! If you don't apply in time, your permit will lapse, and you will not be able to work.
...
I then repeat myself, too (it's from MacGregor'sDaughter's Thread):

Forgot to extend C Permit 6 months ago

The permit status will not lapse, and one will be able to work;

however one could get fined for not asking for a renewal on time.

The point is that in the contrary to other permits, this thing is purely adminstrative and will not affect the permit itself.

It's like a kind of a "citizenship minus": One won't lose citizenship if no id, and not fined in CH; if we are talking permit C, one won't lose it but could (could) get fined.


Quote:
View Post
...
... personally I would never ask about permit stuff here on the EF, doesn't make any sense...

things change all the time, and may differ from gemeinde to gemeinde...
No, the law is the law;

what could differ ist the way of asking for a renewal, e.g.
The fact that it does not affect the C-permit itself is federal.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 28.04.2013, 23:49
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

So is there a difference in the way the permit is renewed, after leaving Switzerland for 7 months, and living here but not renewing the permit for 7 months?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 28.04.2013, 23:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,687
Groaned at 253 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 13,104 Times in 7,369 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Quote:
View Post
So is there a difference in the way the permit is renewed, after leaving Switzerland for 7 months, and living here but not renewing the permit for 7 months?
Depends if you deregistered or not If you deregistered then unless you asked to put your permit on hold for 1 of the few acceptable reasons you cant renew as you have lost entitlement to a C.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 29.04.2013, 12:16
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,869
Groaned at 301 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 13,144 Times in 7,533 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Quote:
View Post
I have lived here since 1989, and have a C permit since 1994. One important lesson I learn't is not to rely on anyone, especially on a forum for ex-pats, you need to inform yourself of the laws of Switzerland.

I repeat myself: on the back page of the beige permit is clearly printed in German and in French that up to 2 weeks before expiry of the permit, you must apply to the authorities for a renewal. There are no valid arguments against this very simple fact! If you don't apply in time, your permit will lapse, and you will not be able to work.

This usually means going down to the Commune / Gemeinde with your valid passport and maybe two new photos and maybe your employment and rental contracts. (Take them with you, and then you won't have to go back again!) They might ask you to complete an application form, they might not. Depending on how much tax you pay, you might get a free gift and a kiss, but don't be too disappointed!

.
Yes, you're quite right Sbrinz, it is on the back of the permit. The one place I didn't think to look, even though I think you mentioned this in another thread a little while ago which I read. Slush for brains me, sometimes.

However, I can confirm that in today's backlog of post were the forms from the Fribourg migration office for renewing our C permits.

So I guess the lesson here is know when your permits expire and make sure that you receive/enquire about the forms in good time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.05.2013, 09:17
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,869
Groaned at 301 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 13,144 Times in 7,533 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Just a query on the questons at the back of the form. OH is an employee so I'm assuming "autre activité lucrative" is the one for him as the other ones don't quite fit.

And for mine I think it's supposed to be "séjour auprès du conjoint/partenaire" rather than "autres sans activité lucrative".

I'm going to make copies this time so I have them to hand when they next come up for renewal, otherwise I'm going to forget the details!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 24.06.2013, 12:43
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,869
Groaned at 301 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 13,144 Times in 7,533 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Quick update - applied for our renewals 3 weeks ago and received the new C permits this morning. And my change of nationality was also okay. So I'm now officially British for Swiss purposes too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 18.12.2014, 16:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
wilsong25 has no particular reputation at present
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Just to add to the thread... this might be useful to C permit holders in Basel Stadt (I cannot speak for other cantons).

My C permit expired one month ago, so I went to see the cantonal guys. I was worried about being able to work etc...

Finally for me, no problem, they just needed a form filled in and a copy of a valid (in my case a UK) passport.

It will take 2 weeks for the new C permit to arrive in the post (no photos needed as they just took the same photo page - Basel does not have a plastic card, more like a soviet-bloc style paper photo card and a separate validity paper).

One thing to note - they said that normally I should have received a green form from Bern (not sure where this ended up) a couple of months in advance. Since my address had not changed in the last ~10 years, the very helpful lady said that it was no problem (meaning that the process would be more complex if you changed address).

So the moral of the tale is just go and speak to the cantonal immigration authorities - in Basel I found them extremely helpful.

Hope that this might help someone out.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02.07.2016, 15:31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sirikina has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
I am not going to argue with you any more.
I m not sure why you offered an answer from the first comment your reply really leads someone to believe you think it was a dumb question. Your replies are short and maybe helpful but they read as you feel people are dumb for asking questions. Please do not waste your time. Why do it? Is it a superiority thing?

Quote:
View Post
Just to add to the thread... this might be useful to C permit holders in Basel Stadt (I cannot speak for other cantons).

My C permit expired one month ago, so I went to see the cantonal guys. I was worried about being able to work etc...

Finally for me, no problem, they just needed a form filled in and a copy of a valid (in my case a UK) passport.

It will take 2 weeks for the new C permit to arrive in the post (no photos needed as they just took the same photo page - Basel does not have a plastic card, more like a soviet-bloc style paper photo card and a separate validity paper).

One thing to note - they said that normally I should have received a green form from Bern (not sure where this ended up) a couple of months in advance. Since my address had not changed in the last ~10 years, the very helpful lady said that it was no problem (meaning that the process would be more complex if you changed address).

So the moral of the tale is just go and speak to the cantonal immigration authorities - in Basel I found them extremely helpful.

Hope that this might help someone out.
Thank you that was both helpful and reassuring.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 02.07.2016 at 23:36. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user groans at sirikina for this post:
  #31  
Old 02.07.2016, 15:35
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,706
Groaned at 44 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,621 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Quote:
View Post
I m not sure why you offered an answer from the first comment your reply really leads someone to believe you think it was a dumb question. Your replies are short and maybe helpful but they read as you feel people are dumb for asking questions. Please do not waste your time. Why do it? Is it a superiority thing?


You're replying to a 4 year old post; you may not get the response you were anticipating.


Welcome to the forum though, I guess!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02.07.2016, 16:17
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,222
Groaned at 198 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 6,573 Times in 3,329 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C Permit automatic renewal?

Quote:
View Post
I m not sure why you offered an answer from the first comment your reply really leads someone to believe you think it was a dumb question. Your replies are short and maybe helpful but they read as you feel people are dumb for asking questions. Please do not waste your time. Why do it? Is it a superiority thing?
Why waste your time answering with this to an 4 year old post? Need 10 posts?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yearly B Permit Renewal - submit original permit ? samofsydney Permits/visas/government 3 12.03.2012 14:01
[ZH] Dependent L permit under renewal - Can apply for Work Permit? boyInterrupted Permits/visas/government 3 18.10.2010 13:38
L permit to B permit Renewal and Change Company ragu78 Permits/visas/government 3 10.10.2010 09:32
Permit renewal: Permit expired & no receipt... McBain666 Permits/visas/government 0 17.01.2010 18:24
Consumer law on automatic renewal of contracts Chriswelshman Other/general 16 05.12.2009 18:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0