Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.07.2012, 23:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 75
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
stud29 has no particular reputation at present
without id card in Switzerland

if the police stop me and i don't have an ID card with me,what's happen?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2012, 23:27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 282 Posts
Laertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

If they suspect that you are involved into some dogy activity (probably including being illegal in Switzerland), they are allowed to detain you until you can be identified. You are not required to carry any ID on you in Switzerland (of course you have to carry a driving permit while driving). So there is no fine or penalty involved if you happen not to carry one. However it is much more convenient to do so, if you happen to be checked by the police.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Laertes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.07.2012, 03:48
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

That is correct, it is not compulsory. However I always carry my driving license. If I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I can identify myself and be released in minutes.

Other countries require foreigners to carry an ID, so when abroad carry some ID. The passport can be left at hotel reception, and a European driving license is excellent. Any European policeman can understand it, and via his radio, your identity can be quickly confirmed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.07.2012, 07:30
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,182
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Other countries require foreigners to carry an ID, so when abroad carry some ID. The passport can be left at hotel reception, and a European driving license is excellent. Any European policeman can understand it, and via his radio, your identity can be quickly confirmed.
A drivers' license is not acceptable ID in France and Germany. If the cops stop you and ask for ID, they will want to see your Passport (or National ID card, if your country issues such a thing), and your permit and/or if you require one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tom tulpe for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.07.2012, 11:58
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 706
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 799 Times in 363 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

I do not have a driving licence and have been issued with a mickey mouse ID which will not fit comfortably in anything other than a jacket pocket so do not carry anything normally with me around town - but you should be OK just going about your normal business.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.07.2012, 12:02
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: was Ägeri now Froggeri
Posts: 3,720
Groaned at 191 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,819 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

I carry a reduced photocopy with my B permit (booklet type) on 1 side and my passport on the other neatly folded in my wallet and have been controlled by the traffic plods twice and between that and my DL they have been happy. I've also used it to collect a parcel at Die Post without issue. Not sure how legal it is, but haven't had an issue yet.

Last edited by Papa Goose; 08.07.2012 at 12:38.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.07.2012, 12:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
A drivers' license is not acceptable ID in France and Germany. If the cops stop you and ask for ID, they will want to see your Passport (or National ID card, if your country issues such a thing), and your permit and/or if you require one.
Been stopped when driving quite a few times in those countries (just once in DE, but perhaps five or six in France) and have never been asked for anything more than my (Swiss) driving licence as ID.

So while it may not be considered an officially-accepted form of ID, it certainly seems to satisfy normal police that you are who it says you are.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.07.2012, 18:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 75
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
stud29 has no particular reputation at present
Re: without id card in Switzerland

i saw a guy without ticket and id card in the SBB,he was made get off the train from the controller and i heard he called the police.What do you think was happened to him?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.07.2012, 18:40
VocalID's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Finsterhennen BE
Posts: 211
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 104 Times in 65 Posts
VocalID has earned some respectVocalID has earned some respect
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Er will be put against der Wall und shot eins zwei drei bumm!

Normally they will take him to his alleged address and then he'll have to pay the fine for not having a ticket plus administration costs, plus whatever the police will fine him for making trouble.... if he is in the country illegally, then it's iron curtains and deportation if he can't get asylum I guess.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VocalID for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.07.2012, 20:13
Capacitrix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luzern Agglo
Posts: 442
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 205 Times in 133 Posts
Capacitrix is considered knowledgeableCapacitrix is considered knowledgeableCapacitrix is considered knowledgeable
Re: without id card in Switzerland

I just use my DL at the post. They're happy with that. I prefer to show that instead of my C permit. They even accepted my work ID at the post (I didn't have any other ID with me). I was really surprised about that one.

(That is, when they ask for an ID. They don't always ask.)

Quote:
View Post
I carry a reduced photocopy with my B permit (booklet type) on 1 side and my passport on the other neatly folded in my wallet and have been controlled by the traffic plods twice and between that and my DL they have been happy. I've also used it to collect a parcel at Die Post without issue. Not sure how legal it is, but haven't had an issue yet.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.07.2012, 20:23
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
if the police stop me and i don't have an ID card with me,what's happen?
If you get into difficulties, just look in the bag and take out the green passport in the name of Jason Bourne.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 09.07.2012, 11:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 75
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
stud29 has no particular reputation at present
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Er will be put against der Wall und shot eins zwei drei bumm!

Normally they will take him to his alleged address and then he'll have to pay the fine for not having a ticket plus administration costs, plus whatever the police will fine him for making trouble.... if he is in the country illegally, then it's iron curtains and deportation if he can't get asylum I guess.
the guy sit on side of me i think he used a fake name because he was laughing. It's not the first time i saw do that and i don't think he would had paid anything.The police cannot identify you if you don't want to be identified.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09.07.2012, 12:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
the guy sit on side of me i think he used a fake name because he was laughing. It's not the first time i saw do that and i don't think he would had paid anything.The police cannot identify you if you don't want to be identified.
But they can arrest you until you can be identified. For a CHF60 fine for riding a tram without a ticket, is it honestly worth the hassle?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09.07.2012, 13:52
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

I was once running across Campus with a beer to try and catch a night bus, and the lovely police came speeding up next to me and cut off my running route. 3 officers jump out and surround me, begin their aggressive interrogation. They ask me "what am I doing here", and I respond in english: "I work here". Apparently that was sufficient, and they breathed a sign of relief, thanked me and went on their way without even asking for id. Strangest police interaction I've ever experienced.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,601
Groaned at 570 Times in 483 Posts
Thanked 20,854 Times in 10,954 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: without id card in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If they suspect that you are involved into some dogy activity (probably including being illegal in Switzerland), they are allowed to detain you until you can be identified. You are not required to carry any ID on you in Switzerland (of course you have to carry a driving permit while driving). So there is no fine or penalty involved if you happen not to carry one. However it is much more convenient to do so, if you happen to be checked by the police.
About "they are allowed to detain you until you can be identified"

There is no writ of Habeus Corpus here so they can keep you so long as they want.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VAT rebate in UK - ID card versus passport Guest Complaints corner 25 07.03.2012 14:13
ID Card for B/C permit holder Eteo Permits/visas/government 11 11.06.2010 08:26
UK Travel with Swiss ID card jbrady Permits/visas/government 13 14.06.2007 12:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0