Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.11.2012, 00:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
rlchen has made some interesting contributions
Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Hi,

My brother-in-law would like to stay with us in Zurich for a year, but the problem is he doesn't have a permit to stay here that long. He's thinking about attending a local language school to get a permit to stay here for one year. I heard that it has to be one of the official language, otherwise it doesn't make sense to issue a permit for him. If so, do you have any recommendation about what school to apply, or is there any other way to achieve the same purpose?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.11.2012, 00:38
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

What country is your brother in law from?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.11.2012, 09:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
rlchen has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

He's from Taiwan.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

So basically what you're saying is that the language school is going to be a cover up for him just wanting to come to Switzerland for a year?

Good luck, and I hope you get caught as I believe its called fraud...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Frank2k for this post:
  #5  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
So basically what you're saying is that the language school is going to be a cover up for him just wanting to come to Switzerland for a year?

Good luck, and I hope you get caught as I believe its called fraud...
How on earth is that fraud? He would be studying and paying. And gets a visa for that purpose. Dramatic much?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank sam ali for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

What difference is there between that and a student coming here to study at the uni??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sam ali for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

As for the OP. I know a friend whose American parents live here and she was here for one year and enrolled in Migros Klub Schule for that duration to learn German. I do not know if there was a seperate case that she was allowed to stay but based on that she was allowed. I suggest contacting the Embassy and asking if that is allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
How on earth is that fraud? He would be studying and paying. And gets a visa for that purpose. Dramatic much?
Studying? Wasn't the whole operation a cover to get a visa for one year?

He's basically:

1) Getting a visa on false premises (no intention of studying),
2) Taking up a study visa that could have gone to someone with the intention of actually wanting to study

And this is not fraud?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Frank2k for this post:
  #9  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
Studying? Wasn't the whole operation a cover to get a visa for one year?

He's basically:

1) Getting a visa on false premises (no intention of studying),
2) Taking up a study visa that could have gone to someone with the intention of actually wanting to study

And this is not fraud?
It is not so simple as you put it. The person has to pay, attend the classes and prove to the authorites that these citeria are met when it is a language school. My Anerican friend had to do it. And she attended classes every day, you even need to submit at the end of the course the attended days record. Yes they count how many days you went.
So yes he will have to go regular and there is no way out of that.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank sam ali for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.11.2012, 11:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

If he goes to school, he is studying, no?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 08.11.2012, 12:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
rlchen has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
Studying? Wasn't the whole operation a cover to get a visa for one year?

He's basically:

1) Getting a visa on false premises (no intention of studying),
2) Taking up a study visa that could have gone to someone with the intention of actually wanting to study

And this is not fraud?
If someone doesn't want to accept a job but he runs out of money, he has no choice but to take it to cover living expense, is that also a fraud according to the logic above?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.11.2012, 12:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

My brother-in-law would like to stay with us in Zurich for a year, but the problem is he doesn't have a permit to stay here that long. He's thinking about attending a local language school to get a permit to stay here for one year. I heard that it has to be one of the official language, otherwise it doesn't make sense to issue a permit for him. If so, do you have any recommendation about what school to apply, or is there any other way to achieve the same purpose?

Thanks!
To clarify. You brother in law wants to stay with you for a year.
He wants to study/learn German.

Is he wanting to just stay with you for a year?
And use language school as an excuse to get a permit?
Or is he wanting to learn German while staying with you, which will take a year?

You could invite him, as a family member, and request a "family reunion" visa for this time, he will become your responsibility fully and financially, giving you (or his family member here more likely) power of attorney over him, you be responsible for everything/anything he does, pay his insurances, etc.

Or he could enrol in the school from where he is, and request his own visa from the Swiss Embassy in his country, for study purposes.

I think that is it? But more learned members will have to clarify if I got that all correct. That is just my take on the situation.

If he just arrives here, and then tries to apply for an extended visa, he probably will be unsuccessful. It has to be done from his own country, and you will be notified of the steps needed on your end.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.11.2012, 12:50
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

I'm not sure studying at a language school actually counts as official studying for visa purposes, but I could be wrong.

@Frank2k - who actually said that he has no intention of studying? Apart from you?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 08.11.2012, 13:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Did no one read the post?

Quote:
View Post
My brother-in-law would like to stay with us in Zurich for a year, but the problem is he doesn't have a permit to stay here that long.
(1) So far we know that the brother in law wants to stay for more than a year. No mentioning of school. Had the school thing been first priority this would have been mentioned in the first line. Visa's permits etc are secondary in such cases...

Quote:
View Post
He's thinking about attending a local language school to get a permit to stay here for one year.
(2) So, to get the permit (1) he want's to sign up for something which could in theory give him the one year visa. He has now figured out a way to obtain this one year visa by signing up to a language school. So he's thinking of attending a language school so he can get a visa. He's not getting a visa so he can attend a language school.

Quote:
View Post
I heard that it has to be one of the official language, otherwise it doesn't make sense to issue a permit for him.
(3) ??? Say again now? When the brother in law has a burning passion for attending a language school, ready to travel halfway around the world to learn German (I gather) wouldn't an official language school be the first priority as this is going to be quite expensive??

Quote:
View Post
If so, do you have any recommendation about what school to apply, or is there any other way to achieve the same purpose?
(4) So the main purpose of the exercise is to get the brother-in-law a one year visa, and the school comes in secondary OR are you asking what schools sells proforma places for the main purposes of obtaining visa's?

To me, this sounds no good and where there is a guilty mind we're halfway away from a criminal offence.

Just my 2 cents...

PS. Did anyone ever watch UK Border Force on Sky1 some time back?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Frank2k for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Frank2k for this post:
  #15  
Old 08.11.2012, 14:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
rlchen has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
To clarify. You brother in law wants to stay with you for a year.
He wants to study/learn German.

Is he wanting to just stay with you for a year?
And use language school as an excuse to get a permit?
Or is he wanting to learn German while staying with you, which will take a year?

You could invite him, as a family member, and request a "family reunion" visa for this time, he will become your responsibility fully and financially, giving you (or his family member here more likely) power of attorney over him, you be responsible for everything/anything he does, pay his insurances, etc.

Or he could enrol in the school from where he is, and request his own visa from the Swiss Embassy in his country, for study purposes.

I think that is it? But more learned members will have to clarify if I got that all correct. That is just my take on the situation.

If he just arrives here, and then tries to apply for an extended visa, he probably will be unsuccessful. It has to be done from his own country, and you will be notified of the steps needed on your end.
Hi Smoky,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know there's a family union visa for that purpose. It's very useful, and thank you.

To clarify, he's not here yet, just would like to know what options are available.

Ray.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.11.2012, 14:11
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
Hi Smoky,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know there's a family union visa for that purpose. It's very useful, and thank you.

To clarify, he's not here yet, just would like to know what options are available.

Ray.
It's highly unlikely your brother in law qualifies for the family reunion visa. Family reunion visas are for spouses and children and some times (though not often) dependent* parents.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 08.11.2012, 14:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
rlchen has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
It's highly unlikely your brother in law qualifies for the family reunion visa. Family reunion visas are for spouses and children and some times (though not often) dependent* parents.
Yeah, I just read it online:
http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/...ty/rusfam.html
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.11.2012, 16:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 63
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 21 Posts
mf_holly has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

>>> Can attending language school get one year living permit

Yes, it is possible. We did it for my daughter. However, to get the visa she was required to register as a FULL-TIME student, which means language classes for 20 hours per week minimum.

They also required a letter from her explaining why learning a new language was important for her future plans, career, etc. The letter also had to state that she intended to return to her home country at the end of one year.

We requested one year, but they gave her only a 6-month visa to start with, renewable for an additional 6 months. She never misses school so they will not have an excuse to deny the additional 6 months. The visa does not allow her to work at all.

Oh, and we had to pay for the full year of school up front, which was a lot of money. If you go this route, make sure the school will refund your money if the visa is denied.

We originally tried the family reunification approach, but her visa was denied because she is an adult. In our case, family reunification worked only for the spouse and minor children.

Allow at least 3 months for processing of the papers.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank mf_holly for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 08.11.2012, 17:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
rlchen has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
>>> Can attending language school get one year living permit

Yes, it is possible. We did it for my daughter. However, to get the visa she was required to register as a FULL-TIME student, which means language classes for 20 hours per week minimum.

They also required a letter from her explaining why learning a new language was important for her future plans, career, etc. The letter also had to state that she intended to return to her home country at the end of one year.

We requested one year, but they gave her only a 6-month visa to start with, renewable for an additional 6 months. She never misses school so they will not have an excuse to deny the additional 6 months. The visa does not allow her to work at all.

Oh, and we had to pay for the full year of school up front, which was a lot of money. If you go this route, make sure the school will refund your money if the visa is denied.

We originally tried the family reunification approach, but her visa was denied because she is an adult. In our case, family reunification worked only for the spouse and minor children.

Allow at least 3 months for processing of the papers.

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing the experience!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19.11.2012, 16:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
mexswiss2012 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can attending language school get one year living permit?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

My brother-in-law would like to stay with us in Zurich for a year, but the problem is he doesn't have a permit to stay here that long. He's thinking about attending a local language school to get a permit to stay here for one year. I heard that it has to be one of the official language, otherwise it doesn't make sense to issue a permit for him. If so, do you have any recommendation about what school to apply, or is there any other way to achieve the same purpose?

Thanks!

As I know that is not possible , he can be here for max 90 days and after these time he have to go out to the conutry and also as many people say here for the " Visa Family " dont be fine for him even he ask to any University in Switzerland.

The only is comming als turist, take a lessons for aorund 90 Days and go out to the country but to get a resident permit for one year that will be a " Lotto "
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Language school 1 year permit Wannaknow Permits/visas/government 2 29.08.2012 22:19
American wife with permit C..Can I also get one? Justchillin Permits/visas/government 2 14.05.2012 22:47
Can I get a visa to study at a language school? nini japaridze Permits/visas/government 2 18.04.2010 17:35
Can I get a permit as a language course student? frazac Permits/visas/government 8 04.08.2008 21:51
EU citizen, studying at language school for a year dragoman Permits/visas/government 3 28.11.2007 10:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0