Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16.04.2013, 13:21
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
brianrepko has no particular reputation at present
Working on a dependent B permit

My partner and I are US citizens moving to Basel-Stadt. I've gotten an employment contract, (promise for a) B permit and her dependent B permit (Familiennachzug). She has also gotten an employment contract and the company is looking to have her get her own B permit. All fine - but the timing is off since the time to get her B permit has her starting on June 15 and we were hoping to both start May 15.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get authorization to work on a dependent B permit (Basel-Stadt)? Is there any issue with starting work on a dependent B permit and then getting her own B permit later? I'm assuming she would need to leave the country to get her 2nd visa stamped in her passport but that isn't a problem.

Thanks! No one seems to know this stuff (who best to call to verify - Swiss embassy?)

Looking forward to contributing to this community as US-Swiss expats!

Reply With Quote
Old 20.04.2013, 23:58
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 83
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
parisblue has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working on a dependent B permit

Hi Brian

I'm assuming by her b permit start date, you mean the date it is issued?

Regarding authorisation to work on a b permit. It is actually one permit. It is for residency + work permit. Or residency + not allowed to work. If you are applying for residency you should specifically ask for her to be able to work as well, and this will then be included. If you don't ask for the right to work, she may not get it automatically and then you will have to request it separately.

Timings? Depends.... Different for everyone. It can be issued in a week or it can take 6 months.

There is no problem with working on a dependant b, and then transferring to her own b permit. But I don't know why she would bother changing unless they thought you (the husband) wouldn't be around for long. I'm not aware of any benefits for anyone having their own over a dependant. In fact it could be worse for your wife as it ties her to the employer rather than you.

And the permit isn't a stamp. It's a piece of paper that you have to carry along with your passport. You shouldn't need to leave the country when converting permits... But then again these things are often circumstantial.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can dependent L permit change to working L permit aissani Permits/visas/government 14 25.06.2015 18:31
change dependent working permit to independent lucaskolb Permits/visas/government 1 30.10.2014 12:05
Query on L dependent working sidi Permits/visas/government 6 17.04.2011 16:49
Have dependent L permit, applied for L WP, can she travel on L dependent now? mashu786 Permits/visas/government 0 10.03.2009 12:26
Working on a Dependent Visa rahulunlimited Permits/visas/government 0 07.01.2009 19:11

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0