Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #621  
Old 26.01.2021, 12:25
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: VD
Posts: 100
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 52 Posts
Juraj_007 is considered knowledgeableJuraj_007 is considered knowledgeableJuraj_007 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Hi Ustinka.

Quote:
View Post
Hi Jurai_007,

Thanjs again for your detailed post.
What does it mean: 03.09.2020: Communal part is closed, you can now move within Switzerland?
Could you not move befofe?
Also, I was advised by some people from the Forum to update my civil status records before I place my application for naturalisation , I wrote to the Civil registery office and asked them how I could do that. Unfortunately, according to them, they don't know what docs might be required therefore I have to apply first and wait
I wouldn't have been able to change the canton before as that would effectively restart the procedure.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Juraj_007 for this useful post:
  #622  
Old 26.01.2021, 14:43
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,353
Groaned at 90 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 19,666 Times in 8,702 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
I have permissions from all gemeindes.
There is nothing dodgy, it’s just that communication by traditional mail is not ideal in my case.
Welcome to Switzerland.

Is there someone who can check your mail for you regularly while you're up in the hillls, and forward to you using our super duper modern Swiss Post?
Reply With Quote
  #623  
Old 26.01.2021, 14:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 13 Posts
rjagger has made some interesting contributions
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
I was hoping I would skip that (with Covid and Swiss Uni diplomas).
When filling in the "Erklärung über die Erfüllung der Einbürgerungsvoraussetzungen im ordentlichen Verfahren" which one did you check?

Grundkenntnisse über die Schweiz, den Kanton Zürich und Ihre Wohngemeinde.
 während mindestens 5 Jahren die obligatorische Schule in der Schweiz besucht. (Bitte Schulbestätigungen im Original oder Kopien der Schulzeugnisse beilegen)
 habe eine Ausbildung auf Sekundarstufe II (z.B. Gymnasium oder Berufslehre) oder Tertiärstufe in der Schweiz abgeschlossen. Tertiärstufe ist z.B. Universität oder Fachhochschule
 den Grundkenntnistest bereits absolviert (Bitte den Nachweis im Original beilegen)
 Ja, ich habe Grundkenntnisse. Ich nehme zur Kenntnis, dass ich diese in einem Gespräch oder Test nachweisen muss. Ich habe mich bei meiner Wohngemeinde über das Verfahren informiert.

The naturalization handbook says what's below, so maybe you should (politely) point your Gemeinde to the relevant section. Just please be aware that the interview is not only about geography, politics etc but also about "intergration". And to dispense with the interview, you'd have to be "entitled to the citizenship", and for that you'd need to belong to the following two categories:

* Foreigners born in Switzerland are treated as Swiss citizens in the right to naturalization. Section 20 (3) remains reserved.
* Foreigners between the ages of 16 and 25 who were not born in Switzerland are treated in the same way as foreigners born in Switzerland at this age, provided that they can demonstrate that they have attended primary or secondary school in Switzerland for at least five years 21 in one of the national languages.

But I know for a fact, that some people who completed e.g. ETHZ (but not primary/secondary school) were absolved from the "integration" interview in Zurich, even though they didn't exactly fall into the category "with entitlement to citizenship".

7.7.2.9. Exemption from the examination of basic knowledge
For applicants who have attended compulsory school in Switzerland for at least five years or who have completed upper-secondary education (e.g. high school or basic vocational training) or tertiary education (e.g. university, university of applied sciences) in Switzerland, the legal presumption applies that the required Basic knowledge was acquired as part of the training (Judgment of the Federal Court 1C_337 / 2019 of November 13, 2019, E. 5.). The persons concerned are exempt from completing the basic knowledge test or from checking the basic knowledge using a standardized questionnaire. Detailed information on compulsory school, upper secondary level, tertiary level, private schools and further training can be found in section 7.4.3.

Here's the list of unis from 7.4.3:
 Universität [PhD/Doktorat, Master, Bachelor]
 ETH [PhD/Doktorat, Master, Bachelor]
 PHZH (Pädagogische Hochschule Zürich) [Master, Bachelor]
 Hochschule für Heilpädagogik [Master, Bachelor]
 ZHAW (Zürcher Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften) [Master, Bachelor]
 ZHdK (Zürcher Hochschule der Künste) [Master, Bachelor]
 HWZ [Master, Bachelor]
 Fachhochschulen [Master, Bachelor]
 höhere Berufsbildung [eidg. Diplom, eidg. Fachausweis, Diplom HF]

Last edited by rjagger; 26.01.2021 at 15:05.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rjagger for this useful post:
  #624  
Old 27.01.2021, 11:21
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,019 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
The naturalization handbook says what's below, so maybe you should (politely) point your Gemeinde to the relevant section. Just please be aware that the interview is not only about geography, politics etc but also about "intergration". And to dispense with the interview, you'd have to be "entitled to the citizenship"...
This is an important point. Each Gemeinde see different purposes for the interview: getting to know you, proving integration, etc. And in most cases, the interviewers are members of the Gemeinderat (ie local politicians) who also want to use the opportunity to sell themselves (once you get to vote).

In many ways I am actually disappointed I didn't have to do an interview!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #625  
Old 28.01.2021, 20:03
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 159
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 86 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

I too will confess that I'm suffering from home-stretch impatience. I received the bill from SEM last 29.Oct.2020 and paid on the same day. So 3 months from tomorrow. I understand there was Christmas holidays and Covid restrictions, so delays are to be expected. After a long process, this last stretch is just unnerving.
Anyway, what exactly is being vetted at the SEM level? Is this something I showed worry that we will be rejected at this point?
Reply With Quote
  #626  
Old 28.01.2021, 20:08
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,244
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
In many ways I am actually disappointed I didn't have to do an interview!
I did a 15 minute chat at the local cantonal police with a guy who was a neighbor that I'd grunt to from time to time (he wasn't very chatty). I think we mainly talked about a certain asshole neighbor.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #627  
Old 28.01.2021, 22:08
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,019 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
I too will confess that I'm suffering from home-stretch impatience. I received the bill from SEM last 29.Oct.2020 and paid on the same day. So 3 months from tomorrow. I understand there was Christmas holidays and Covid restrictions, so delays are to be expected. After a long process, this last stretch is just unnerving.
Anyway, what exactly is being vetted at the SEM level? Is this something I showed worry that we will be rejected at this point?
It can take 3-6months after you pay the SEM bill before getting citizenship, because it goes back to the Kantonal office for finalisation (either could be the hold-up). I predict you'll get it in February, latest March.

The SEM basically make sure you are not a threat to the nation or on any international watch lists (the Kanton can't access this info).

Finally, looking back at your timeline, you applied only in Feb 2020? You really can't complain to be in the home stretch at this point!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #628  
Old 29.01.2021, 09:30
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 159
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 86 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
It can take 3-6months after you pay the SEM bill before getting citizenship, because it goes back to the Kantonal office for finalisation (either could be the hold-up). I predict you'll get it in February, latest March.

The SEM basically make sure you are not a threat to the nation or on any international watch lists (the Kanton can't access this info).

Finally, looking back at your timeline, you applied only in Feb 2020? You really can't complain to be in the home stretch at this point!
I don't think I'm on any international watch list, so I'll just try to sit back, relax, extend my patience.

I agree that relatively I can't complain since we submitted docs Feb 2020. But getting the docs, language certs, etc was around a year before that. So un-officially we are getting to 2 years with this naturalisation thing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bokabil for this useful post:
  #629  
Old 31.01.2021, 16:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Geneve
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
voyager has earned some respectvoyager has earned some respect
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Question about one pf the questions in the application from that I am a bit stuck on. I am in canton GE and am not sure this question is asked everywhere... perhaps you can advise if you have encountered this:

The question (#2.6) is "Have you been served by the cantonal police or municipal police (arrest (s), check (s), hearing (s), ticket (s), other), in the last ten years? Yes No; If you answered yes, please complete the following table - List of Incident (s) and Location (s) and year (s) of the event (s)"

The original question in French: "Avez-vous, déjà occupe les services de la police cantonale ou de la police municipale (arrestation(s), controle(s), audition(s), contravention(s), autre), dans les dix dernières annees? Oui / Non; Si vous avez repondu oui, veuillez completer le tableau suivant -- Liste des Fait(s) reproche(s) et Lieu(x) et annee(s) de(s) l'évènement(s)"

My situation: I have had some parking and speeding tickets in the ten years... not at lot, I would guess about 5 in the last 10 years. There were typically the minimum amounts or close. Alas I never kept a record of these as I did not make a habit of earning these and never anticipated that I would need them for the purpose of the naturalisation.

My question to this group: Have you encountered this question in your application ? Did you decide to include parking / speeding tickets ? And if so did you have your own records or were you able to get a record of these infractions from some office?

Thank you !
Reply With Quote
  #630  
Old 31.01.2021, 16:33
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,353
Groaned at 90 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 19,666 Times in 8,702 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Question about one pf the questions in the application from that I am a bit stuck on. I am in canton GE and am not sure this question is asked everywhere... perhaps you can advise if you have encountered this:

The question (#2.6) is "Have you been served by the cantonal police or municipal police (arrest (s), check (s), hearing (s), ticket (s), other), in the last ten years? Yes No; If you answered yes, please complete the following table - List of Incident (s) and Location (s) and year (s) of the event (s)"

The original question in French: "Avez-vous, déjà occupe les services de la police cantonale ou de la police municipale (arrestation(s), controle(s), audition(s), contravention(s), autre), dans les dix dernières annees? Oui / Non; Si vous avez repondu oui, veuillez completer le tableau suivant -- Liste des Fait(s) reproche(s) et Lieu(x) et annee(s) de(s) l'évènement(s)"

My situation: I have had some parking and speeding tickets in the ten years... not at lot, I would guess about 5 in the last 10 years. There were typically the minimum amounts or close. Alas I never kept a record of these as I did not make a habit of earning these and never anticipated that I would need them for the purpose of the naturalisation.

My question to this group: Have you encountered this question in your application ? Did you decide to include parking / speeding tickets ? And if so did you have your own records or were you able to get a record of these infractions from some office?

Thank you !
If you didn't have anything entered in the criminal record, I wouldn't list anything. The key phrase to me (as translated with deepl) is "Liste des Fait(s) reproche(s)" which translates as "List of Chargeable Event(s)."

You can probably order a criminal record extract online to be sure.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #631  
Old 31.01.2021, 18:50
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

did your speeding tickets result in just a bill for speeding coming to you? If you got fines from the Bussenkatalog then nobody cares.

If you got a special bill for admin fees, suspended fines and bans then it might have an impact.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #632  
Old 31.01.2021, 18:53
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,019 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
My question to this group: Have you encountered this question in your application ? Did you decide to include parking / speeding tickets ? And if so did you have your own records or were you able to get a record of these infractions from some office?

If these were in a vehicle registered to you, there is a high chance this information will be available to them. However, unless you were getting them weekly, they are not valid reasons to refuse citizenship. Also, unlike those offences that land on your criminal history, you don't really have an avenue to get a report on these as such.

You could also play an each way bet by writing something like "I have had some minor infringement notices for parking and speeding, but did not keep any records of these, so therefore cannot provide details". So if they are not on the records they have access to, it not only goes to your honesty, but puts the onus on them to find this out. (which I doubt they would bother to do).
__________________
So sayeth the 'Speed
* I do look like my avatar
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #633  
Old 01.02.2021, 17:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Valesaf has no particular reputation at present
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Hello,
is there someone who applied for Swiss passport in 2020 in Canton Geneva? Last week I finally had an interview, after one year of waiting. What to expect next? How much time does it take canton to make a decision and to send all documents in Bern? Please, share you experience!
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 01.02.2021, 17:59
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Hello,
is there someone who applied for Swiss passport in 2020 in Canton Geneva? Last week I finally had an interview, after one year of waiting. What to expect next? How much time does it take canton to make a decision and to send all documents in Bern? Please, share you experience!
there are some timelines in the thread that should give you some indications

welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 01.02.2021, 21:10
kzs kzs is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oberengstringen
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
kzs has no particular reputation at present
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
I too will confess that I'm suffering from home-stretch impatience. I received the bill from SEM last 29.Oct.2020 and paid on the same day. So 3 months from tomorrow.
To give you a little outlook: I paid the SEM bill on October 5th, and got my notification that I've received my Swiss citizenship, as of last Monday. ... For some reason this letter took a full week to arrive to me

Anyways, I'm celebrating today :-)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank kzs for this useful post:
  #636  
Old 02.02.2021, 09:19
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,019 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
To give you a little outlook: I paid the SEM bill on October 5th, and got my notification that I've received my Swiss citizenship, as of last Monday. ... For some reason this letter took a full week to arrive to me

Anyways, I'm celebrating today :-)
Congrats! In Kanton ZH, the finish line becomes clearer once you've recieved and paid the Kanton ZH bill for 500chf...the SEM bill usually follows a month laterl, then 3-4 months after that, the holy letter of citizenship.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #637  
Old 02.02.2021, 11:10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 159
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 86 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
To give you a little outlook: I paid the SEM bill on October 5th, and got my notification that I've received my Swiss citizenship, as of last Monday. ... For some reason this letter took a full week to arrive to me

Anyways, I'm celebrating today :-)
Congratulations kzs!
Hopefully our holy letter comes at the end of Feb.
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 02.02.2021, 14:52
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,132 Times in 810 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

The time has finally arrived for us. This last Saturday marked our 10th anniversary in Switzerland, and today I made our appointment to start the naturalization process. We already have our language proficiency certificates, the Staatskundekurs certificates, etc. So one week from today we'll be on our journey to switch our blue passports for red ones...fate permitting.

So anxious.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #639  
Old 02.02.2021, 16:01
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,019 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
The time has finally arrived for us. This last Saturday marked our 10th anniversary in Switzerland, and today I made our appointment to start the naturalization process. We already have our language proficiency certificates, the Staatskundekurs certificates, etc. So one week from today we'll be on our journey to switch our blue passports for red ones...fate permitting.

So anxious.
Awesome, and good luck! Zivilregister is also important, you can't get the ball rolling without it.

Oh, and you say "switch" from blue to red? Only worth doing if you are a US citizen keen to ditch dual-taxation If you are an Australian or Canadian, you'll have to keep/renew the blue one in order to return home (no doubt you'd want to keep any of these!)

Last edited by litespeed; 02.02.2021 at 17:18.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #640  
Old 02.02.2021, 17:05
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 159
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 86 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Awesome, and good luck! Zivilregister is also important, you can't get the ball rolling without it.
+1 on this... our ball got delayed ~8months due to this Zivilstandsregister, and this was before Covid.
However, I do believe this Zivilstandsregister is very much dependent on the applicants' documents. In our case, it got delayed because they need "authenticated" birth certificate for my 2 kids not born in CH. And authentication can only be done by the Swiss Embassy in the country of birth.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bokabil for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
black box, citizenship, golden letter, passport, patience




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fukushima Diary Guest International affairs/politics 15 16.03.2016 16:31
Question regarding Submitting Naturalisation Application and New Naturalisation Law ldfire10035 Permits/visas/government 12 14.06.2013 15:41
On line diary telandy Other/general 4 28.12.2012 11:34
Dependent visa for L card applicant/holder Guest Permits/visas/government 6 24.07.2007 12:09
Funny: Yale applicant for banking.... Lob General off-topic 19 13.10.2006 11:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0