Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1061  
Old 17.10.2021, 21:36
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 39 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,788 Times in 1,583 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
This is per canton, and at least in Zurich it's the commune which checks both integration and economic integration. In the form there's an option for 'takes care after children' in the position 'occupation', so it should be quite ok. But it's a cantonal thing.

The idea, as per cantonal naturalization handbook, is that a person should not receive money from social services, and things like 'person earns money' or 'person lives off their savings' are mentioned in there as totally legit ways of supporting themselves. I don't think if non-working spouse is explicitly mentioned, but if they don't receive social benefits I think it should be fine.
If you look at Section 7.5 of the Zurich Naturalisation handbook (in particular 7.5.1.3 on page 71). it lists ways in which various candidates can provide evidence of financial independence. In the case of a house wife/house husband, the "family" income needs to be proven.

However as rjagger says, how the town interprets this can vary extremely. It may be worth talking to the town as a couple before submitting an application.
Reply With Quote
  #1062  
Old 18.10.2021, 00:14
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,032
Groaned at 69 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,788 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Well, to my surprise I today received, less than 2 weeks after my successful interview, a letter from the Stadtrat saying that I have now, subject to Kanton and Bund approval (and of course paying the accompanying 1200chf bill), been approved for citizenship in Stadt Zurich!

I really didn't expect a reply from them so soon.
Congratulations! Hopefully that approval will come soon.

Can you share what your interview was like and what did you talk about? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #1063  
Old 18.10.2021, 07:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14,319
Groaned at 1,494 Times in 985 Posts
Thanked 21,894 Times in 8,337 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Congratulations! Hopefully that approval will come soon.

Can you share what your interview was like and what did you talk about? Thanks
Thanks gata, fingers crossed and you can find my previous post here. https://www.englishforum.ch/3352472-post1025.html
Reply With Quote
  #1064  
Old 22.10.2021, 13:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
rpereira has no particular reputation at present
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Well, to my surprise I today received, less than 2 weeks after my successful interview, a letter from the Stadtrat saying that I have now, subject to Kanton and Bund approval (and of course paying the accompanying 1200chf bill), been approved for citizenship in Stadt Zurich!

I really didn't expect a reply from them so soon.
Hey Chuff, did you receive letter as registered mail? I got a registered mail from STADZ today and am not around home. I hope it's my Gemeinde official paperwork and approval.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rpereira for this useful post:
  #1065  
Old 22.10.2021, 14:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14,319
Groaned at 1,494 Times in 985 Posts
Thanked 21,894 Times in 8,337 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Hey Chuff, did you receive letter as registered mail? I got a registered mail from STADZ today and am not around home. I hope it's my Gemeinde official paperwork and approval.
Hi. So far all my correspondence was by regular mail and I think others in this thread have said that was the same for them too.
Reply With Quote
  #1066  
Old 22.10.2021, 20:15
LiquidPaper's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,130 Times in 536 Posts
LiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Unexpected progress!

Jan 2021: birth certificate, less than 6 months old, for registration in the Zivilstandsamt/civil registry office
Feb 2021: received the Personenstand document from the civil registry office
Feb 2021: sent the application to the Kanton
Feb 2021: confirmation of receipt from the Kanton, bill for 600 Fr, told to expect an interview in 5-7 months
Jul 2021: request for a cv, telephone interview with the Kanton
Aug 2021: the file has been transferred to the Gemeinde. Received a bill for 700 Fr, told to expect an interview in 6-8 months
Oct 2021: Interview scheduled in a month's time (we did not expect this letter for at least another 4 months)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank LiquidPaper for this useful post:
  #1067  
Old 07.11.2021, 17:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bonstetten
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
bendelahaye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Hi everyone,

It's been great to read all the timelines. When i was getting impatient (still am), i would just read this thread over and over, hoping that it would nudge the universe to accelerate things, lol.

Can't wait to post the last update with the final confirmation... almost there now.

01 Oct 2020 marked my 10-year anniversary in Switzerland. Before i started the official process, I took some time to study the history of CH, my canton (ZH) and my town.

Sept 2020: gathered all the necessary papers from the 3 towns I lived in prior to the current one
27 Sept 2020: took the knowledge test and the german test
01 Oct 2020: went to my town hall to gather the last papers from current gemeinde. mailed my application
05 oct 2020: Canton ZH acknowledges receipt of application
06 oct 2020: received test results, forwarded to town
25 jan 2021: informed that my naturalization appointment with town is on 30 March 2021
26 feb 2021: informed that due to COVID, the decision will be made without me, so we do not need to go to appointment
30 march 2021: town decides favourably to naturalization of my sons and me. They send bill for 500 CHF
22 apr 2021: canton acknowledges receipt from town, and say it can take 4 months before they can do anything
15 juli 2021: canton approves
30 juli 2021: canton forwards to SEM and sends me bill of 500 CHF. They say it can take 7 months
03 sept 2021: SEM sends invoice of 150 CHF
01 nov 2021: canton says the SEM approved and that it can take another 4 months for the final approval

Maybe I'll get a Swiss passport for Christmas, who knows?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bendelahaye for this useful post:
  #1068  
Old 08.11.2021, 09:19
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 39 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,788 Times in 1,583 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post

Maybe I'll get a Swiss passport for Christmas, who knows?
Pretty good timeline for outside city of ZRH! These days it takes about 4-6 weeks from the "silver letter", so I'm almost certain you'll have Swiss citizenship latest by early December.
Reply With Quote
  #1069  
Old 08.11.2021, 22:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bonstetten
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
bendelahaye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
I'm almost certain you'll have Swiss citizenship latest by early December.
May you be right!!
Reply With Quote
  #1070  
Old 08.11.2021, 23:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Heard recently of people going through a bizarre experience where the interviewer had a very strong African accent which was very difficult to understand, and with little knowledge of the area apart from the 'official questions and answers'. Strange.
Reply With Quote
  #1071  
Old 09.11.2021, 06:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14,319
Groaned at 1,494 Times in 985 Posts
Thanked 21,894 Times in 8,337 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Heard recently of people going through a bizarre experience where the interviewer had a very strong African accent which was very difficult to understand, and with little knowledge of the area apart from the 'official questions and answers'. Strange.
An improbably story based on hearsay with no concrete details behind it? Sounds legit, thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote
  #1072  
Old 09.11.2021, 08:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt. Zh
Posts: 12,825
Groaned at 519 Times in 430 Posts
Thanked 20,432 Times in 10,354 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
An improbably story based on hearsay with no concrete details behind it? Sounds legit, thanks for posting.
Yes, sounds legit to me. One of the folks in the naturalisation commission that interviewed a family I know is a Turkish man. Yes, with an accent.


Btw, what's wrong with accents? I also have an accent in each language I speak, it's just no easy to pinpoint. I had great fun seeing how people struggle to "take me from somewhere" based on accent and looks and came up with opposite variants...all from Europe though, so they started on the right foot at least. lol

Last edited by greenmount; 09.11.2021 at 09:00.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #1073  
Old 09.11.2021, 09:28
k_and_e
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Yes, sounds legit to me. One of the folks in the naturalisation commission that interviewed a family I know is a Turkish man. Yes, with an accent.


Btw, what's wrong with accents? I also have an accent in each language I speak, it's just no easy to pinpoint. I had great fun seeing how people struggle to "take me from somewhere" based on accent and looks and came up with opposite variants...all from Europe though, so they started on the right foot at least. lol
Entitled foreigners demanding to be interviewed by Reto and Heidi
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1074  
Old 09.11.2021, 09:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt. Zh
Posts: 12,825
Groaned at 519 Times in 430 Posts
Thanked 20,432 Times in 10,354 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Entitled foreigners demanding to be interviewed by Reto and Heidi
Entitled foreigners who don't look around..the world has changed a bit since 1950....I guess there are people who have a very strong opinion about what Switzerland and the Swiss should look and sound like.
My absolute favourite is entitled foreigners not wanting their kids to be in the same class with other, less entitled foreigners. Now that's...rich, because they'll be work colleagues later on...rofl
Reply With Quote
  #1075  
Old 09.11.2021, 09:51
LiquidPaper's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,130 Times in 536 Posts
LiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Entitled foreigners demanding to be interviewed by Reto and Heidi

I looked up the naturalization commission in Basel yesterday. Going by names and political parties (where available), it is quite diverse.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LiquidPaper for this useful post:
  #1076  
Old 09.11.2021, 09:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14,319
Groaned at 1,494 Times in 985 Posts
Thanked 21,894 Times in 8,337 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Yes, sounds legit to me. One of the folks in the naturalisation commission that interviewed a family I know is a Turkish man. Yes, with an accent.


Btw, what's wrong with accents? I also have an accent in each language I speak, it's just no easy to pinpoint. I had great fun seeing how people struggle to "take me from somewhere" based on accent and looks and came up with opposite variants...all from Europe though, so they started on the right foot at least. lol
Interesting how all you are superficially focusing on is the accent, despite the main point being that it is extremely unlikely a naturalization interviewer, whatever their skin colour or accent, has 'little knowledge' of what they are interviewing people for, given how seriously Swiss bureaucracy take the topic of naturalization.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #1077  
Old 09.11.2021, 10:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Cold Ghost
Posts: 341
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 956 Times in 384 Posts
BritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Interesting how all you are superficially focusing on is the accent, despite the main point being that it is extremely unlikely a naturalization interviewer, whatever their skin colour or accent, has 'little knowledge' of what they are interviewing people for, given how seriously Swiss bureaucracy take the topic of naturalization.
Yes, you'd have to assume the "Turkish" man was someone who was also Swiss, well integrated etc, even if he didn't sound like Urs Egli from Einsiedeln.

Quite a poor take from the poster in my opinion - if you are naturalizing, you should really aspire to be like the man with Turkish roots who has integrated so well he's on an integration committee!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BritS for this useful post:
  #1078  
Old 09.11.2021, 10:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt. Zh
Posts: 12,825
Groaned at 519 Times in 430 Posts
Thanked 20,432 Times in 10,354 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Yes, you'd have to assume the "Turkish" man was someone who was also Swiss, well integrated etc, even if he didn't sound like Urs Egli from Einsiedeln.

Quite a poor take from the poster in my opinion - if you are naturalizing, you should really aspire to be like the man with Turkish roots who has integrated so well he's on an integration committee!
Actually....that was my point too - one's accent and origins do tell very little about one's level of integration.
And these naturalisation commissions are very diverse now, I didn't see JackieH's point here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #1079  
Old 09.11.2021, 10:58
LiquidPaper's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,130 Times in 536 Posts
LiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidPaper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
Yes, you'd have to assume the "Turkish" man was someone who was also Swiss, well integrated etc, even if he didn't sound like Urs Egli from Einsiedeln.

Quite a poor take from the poster in my opinion - if you are naturalizing, you should really aspire to be like the man with Turkish roots who has integrated so well he's on an integration committee!
I assume @JackieH is well informed - she is a member of a naturalization commission (it's clear from a different thread).

The native Swiss accuse each other of strange accents, our kids, if they are born in Switzerland or came here young, might have a local one, which sounds weird to someone who grew up 50 km from here. My accent, as well as my last name, clearly announce where I am from, so what?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LiquidPaper for this useful post:
  #1080  
Old 09.11.2021, 12:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal Naturalisation - applicant diary

Quote:
View Post
An improbably story based on hearsay with no concrete details behind it? Sounds legit, thanks for posting.
Not hearsay, but from very good friends and not giving more detail for obvious reasons.

Of course it does not matter if the official interviewer is not Swiss from generations, at all. But would you expect to be interviewed in the UK, for naturalisation say, by someone with such a strong foreign accent which is VERY difficult to understand even by natives- and who has obviously little knowledge of the region/country apart from those in the official book?

Nothing wrong with 'an accent', but it seems unfair to interview people who are not first language speakers, with an accent so strong and so non-standard, that it would be difficult to understand even for first language speakers.

Last edited by JackieH; 09.11.2021 at 12:54.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black box, citizenship, golden letter, passport, patience




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fukushima Diary Guest International affairs/politics 15 16.03.2016 16:31
Question regarding Submitting Naturalisation Application and New Naturalisation Law ldfire10035 Permits/visas/government 12 14.06.2013 15:41
On line diary telandy Other/general 4 28.12.2012 11:34
Dependent visa for L card applicant/holder Guest Permits/visas/government 6 24.07.2007 12:09
Funny: Yale applicant for banking.... Lob General off-topic 19 13.10.2006 11:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0