English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   A2 German for C permit? (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/203024-a2-german-c-permit.html)

GenevaCamper 10.03.2014 17:42

A2 German for C permit?
 
I am in the process of applying for a C-permit and the migration office are telling me I need to have A2 level certified German.

I know a few people who apparently did not need this; can anyone point me to where the rules on this are documented as it seems to be inconsistent.

It is my intention to learn German but I moved from Geneva so have not yet gotten to a level where I could pass the exam.

happyrobbie 10.03.2014 18:16

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
I think it is dependent on canton and time. Some cantons ask this while some do not. Some did now ask it before but ask it now. They seem to change a lot about these requirements.

If the immigration office told you so, I'm afraid you have no choice. But anyway A2 is just the basic level and if you want you can pass it after some months study even if now you are zero.

Castro 10.03.2014 18:37

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
I would also be keen to see the rules in writing. My colleague (Non-EU Indian) was told he would need to show an A2 certificate for a permit C in Basel Land, but I (EU - Brit) was not told that. Fortunately he already had it, but I would love to know why two people in the same canton should receive conflicting information, unless its based on EU/Non-EU bias.

meloncollie 10.03.2014 18:42

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
From the ZH Migrationsamt:

http://www.ma.zh.ch/internet/sicherh...downloadlist_5

Click on the link 'Erteilung der Niederlassungsbewilligung' for a .pdf with all the info you need.



Language requirements (for those not married to a Swiss or current C permit holder) are discussed on 4.2.1 and 5.2

TheSpouse 10.03.2014 18:46

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
My husband and I applied for our C permits in Vaud just two weeks ago. I voluntarily handed over my B2 diplome before the guy even asked about a language requirement. He made a copy and didn't (luckily) ask my husband if he had one. (Which was good because hubby can order wine and his meal and that is about it.)

You say you're from Geneve. Why doesn't your French count? Why do you have to have German also?

fatmanfilms 10.03.2014 18:46

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
My brother has just been asked to go for a French chat / test at the Geminde house, canton VS, he has an EU passport & not bothered if he gets a C or a B. I will update.

meloncollie 10.03.2014 18:52

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSpouse (Post 2107651)

You say you're from Geneve. Why doesn't your French count? Why do you have to have German also?

Canton ZH specifically requires German.



(As does my canton of SZ - but at a higher level. B1 for C permit, B2 for naturalization. Proving local language skills has become as important as proving finances on much of this side of the Rostigraben.)

GenevaCamper 10.03.2014 21:20

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 2107657)
Proving local language skills has become as important as proving finances on much of this side of the Rostigraben.)

Are there any cantons that don't apply this within commuting distance of Zurich?

Not that I am averse to learning but I have got some time pressures that are too complicated to go into on here right now.

AFC 10.03.2014 22:01

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
It seems in Kanton ZH its purely random. I am British & applied for my C Ausweis & must also give a certificate. I know also of another Brit who was automatically given his, no questions asked and his German is poor.

Medea Fleecestealer 10.03.2014 22:16

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenevaCamper (Post 2107733)
Are there any cantons that don't apply this within commuting distance of Zurich?

Not that I am averse to learning but I have got some time pressures that are too complicated to go into on here right now.

Depends on what you call commuting distance. I don't think Fribourg canton where I live does, not sure about any others.

k_and_e 10.03.2014 22:36

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2107641)
I would also be keen to see the rules in writing. My colleague (Non-EU Indian) was told he would need to show an A2 certificate for a permit C in Basel Land, but I (EU - Brit) was not told that. Fortunately he already had it, but I would love to know why two people in the same canton should receive conflicting information, unless its based on EU/Non-EU bias.

it depends on the country. See paragraph 4.1.2.1 in the document in Melloncollie's post.
If you have a passport from one of the following countries, you get a C permit after 5 years with no language requirement (in German because copy-pasted):
„ Belgien
„ Bundesrepublik Deutschland
„ Dänemark
„ Frankreich
„ Fürstentum Liechtenstein
„ Griechenland
„ Italien
„ Niederlande
„ Österreich
„ Portugal
„ Spanien

So it is only certain EU countries and Liechtenstein.

Medea Fleecestealer 10.03.2014 22:51

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Okay. I can obviously understand most of the countries listed not necessarily needing a language certificate. But France, Greece, Italy, Spain and Portgual. Where do they fit in? Their languages are nothing like German so why wouldn't they need one? Even more :confused:.

crimson 10.03.2014 22:52

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 2107773)
it depends on the country. See paragraph 4.1.2.1 in the document in Melloncollie's post.
If you have a passport from one of the following countries, you get a C permit after 5 years with no language requirement (in German because copy-pasted):
„ Belgien
„ Bundesrepublik Deutschland
„ Dänemark
„ Frankreich
„ Fürstentum Liechtenstein
„ Griechenland
„ Italien
„ Niederlande
„ Österreich
„ Portugal
„ Spanien

So it is only certain EU countries and Liechtenstein.

for me (greek) it was like that: after 5 years here on B i just sent the renewal application and a fee and received a C permit without having to prove language or anything else *

*edit: just remembered i had to provide one paper regarding criminal record and one stating that i don't owe any money

meloncollie 10.03.2014 22:58

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 2107783)
Okay. I can obviously understand most of the countries listed not necessarily needing a language certificate. But France, Greece, Italy, Spain and Portgual. Where do they fit in? Their languages are nothing like German so why wouldn't they need one? Even more :confused:.

It's not about language, but rather agreements between the states. From the document:

Liste der Staaten mit Niederlassungsvereinbarungen, die einen Rechtsanspruch auf Erteilung der Niederlassungsbewilligung einräumen

Angehörige folgender Staaten erhalten aufgrund von Niederlassungsvereinbarungen und Erklärungen des Bundesrates, die Niederlassungsbewilligung nach einem ordnungsgemäs- sen und ununterbrochenen Aufenthalt von fünf Jahren in der Schweiz:

Roughly:

List of States with agreements which give a legal entitlement to the Settlement Permit:

Nationals of the following countries receive the Niederlassungs (settlement) permit after a regular and uninterrupted stay of five years in Switzerland, pursuant to settlement agreements and declarations of the Bundesrat.

Tuborg 11.03.2014 10:15

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
I live in Canton Vaud. I just received my C permit - and for my children - yesterday. I was never asked if I spoke French.

I also asked for a C permit for my wife (a bit speculative as she is non-EU). In order to process the C permit for her, we were requested to show documents that she was debt free, had no criminal record and a B2 in French. She speaks French but not at the B2 level, so we just went along with a B permit for her.

None of my (EU) colleagues had to show any French language capability to receive their C permits either.

SeaFarin'Gizmo 27.03.2014 23:46

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 2107773)
it depends on the country. See paragraph 4.1.2.1 in the document in Melloncollie's post.
If you have a passport from one of the following countries, you get a C permit after 5 years with no language requirement (in German because copy-pasted):
„ Belgien
„ Bundesrepublik Deutschland
„ Dänemark
„ Frankreich
„ Fürstentum Liechtenstein
„ Griechenland
„ Italien
„ Niederlande
„ Österreich
„ Portugal
„ Spanien

So it is only certain EU countries and Liechtenstein.

But Grossbritannien neut :confused:

Guess I'll have to brush up on my language skills again. Having done a course for a while and quite soon realised that mostly nobody wanted me to speak German to them, I let it go fallow; which was a bit complacent and lazy I must admit.

ama 29.03.2014 13:48

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson (Post 2107784)
for me (greek) it was like that: after 5 years here on B i just sent the renewal application and a fee and received a C permit without having to prove language or anything else *

*edit: just remembered i had to provide one paper regarding criminal record and one stating that i don't owe any money

same here. also a clean-record paper from the tax office

kevster70 02.03.2017 12:38

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Just going through this now.. I speak perfect German (raised there), phoned migrations AMT, but still need to have A2. I also had 30 days to do it, basically no chance here in Switzerland for ALL Schools have at least 30 days prior registration time, then they only do it 1 a month, so if in a rush forget about it! I was able to get an exam in Freiburg (2 hours from ZH), but even then, it can take over 3 weeks to get results..


I asked migrations AMT if they can suggest any centres that can give me the certificate in time, and they quickly replied, no, we are not a language school. (I find this quite interesting that they ask you for something that is basically impossible to get within their time period). Anyhow - lessoned learned, if you want your C permit, get your minimum A2 Certificate as soon as possible).


I have also seen other posts about non-official exams like the one offered by Allegra, this USED to be accepted, but not anymore. So take notice folks, get your Certificate now (I guess in hindsight, its also good to have)!

happyrobbie 02.03.2017 13:16

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevster70 (Post 2749255)
Just going through this now.. I speak perfect German (raised there), phoned migrations AMT, but still need to have A2. I also had 30 days to do it, basically no chance here in Switzerland for ALL Schools have at least 30 days prior registration time, then they only do it 1 a month, so if in a rush forget about it! I was able to get an exam in Freiburg (2 hours from ZH), but even then, it can take over 3 weeks to get results..


I asked migrations AMT if they can suggest any centres that can give me the certificate in time, and they quickly replied, no, we are not a language school. (I find this quite interesting that they ask you for something that is basically impossible to get within their time period). Anyhow - lessoned learned, if you want your C permit, get your minimum A2 Certificate as soon as possible).


I have also seen other posts about non-official exams like the one offered by Allegra, this USED to be accepted, but not anymore. So take notice folks, get your Certificate now (I guess in hindsight, its also good to have)!

In our canton (VS), if you did your school here (if you are raised here I guess it is your case), you do not have to provide any language certificate for C permit...

astravox 02.03.2017 23:18

Re: A2 German for C permit?
 
In Zurich we had to do B1. In Basel only A2 is required. B1 is also enough for passport application in Zurich, so in principle no need for higher level apart university or job requirements.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0