Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.04.2014, 17:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ticino
Posts: 354
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 172 Posts
paizuri has earned some respectpaizuri has earned some respect
Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to be "resident" in more than one country? I would like to move my residency to the UK (i am British), but would I be able to continue working in Switzerland? eg. commute every week, spend weekends in UK. I am employed on a local contract in Switzerland and am on EU B permit.

Thanks for advice
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.04.2014, 19:10
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,046
Groaned at 289 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 15,591 Times in 8,673 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to be "resident" in more than one country? I would like to move my residency to the UK (i am British), but would I be able to continue working in Switzerland? eg. commute every week, spend weekends in UK. I am employed on a local contract in Switzerland and am on EU B permit.

Thanks for advice
If you look at the statutory definition of UK residence, with a full time job in CH you would normally be treated as non resident, It's quite possible to be dual resident, but expect to pay full UK tax on your world wide earnings, quite why you would want to do this I don't know.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.04.2014, 20:04
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,476
Groaned at 354 Times in 269 Posts
Thanked 14,940 Times in 8,585 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

I agree with fatmanfilms, why would you want to do this? You're not only likely to be taxed in both countries, but the strain of commuting week after week back and forth into a different time zone isn't going to help either. By the time you've spent hours getting from Switzerland to the UK and more hours getting from the UK to Switzerland there wouldn't be much time left to enjoy your UK time it seems to me. Especially if you have to add in things like food shopping, laundry, etc, while in the UK. What do you think you'll gain if you do this?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 05.04.2014, 20:08
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,046
Groaned at 289 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 15,591 Times in 8,673 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I agree with fatmanfilms, why would you want to do this? You're not only likely to be taxed in both countries, but the strain of commuting week after week back and forth into a different time zone isn't going to help either. By the time you've spent hours getting from Switzerland to the UK and more hours getting from the UK to Switzerland there wouldn't be much time left to enjoy your UK time it seems to me. Especially if you have to add in things like food shopping, laundry, etc, while in the UK. What do you think you'll gain if you do this?
It's only really viable for someone who is not really 'living' in CH but wishes to retain a B/C permit so they can buy premium Swiss property i.e. above 300m2 habitable space.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.04.2014, 12:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ticino
Posts: 354
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 172 Posts
paizuri has earned some respectpaizuri has earned some respect
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Thanks for the replies. There is a valid reason to want to move my base to UK, and you're right, it certainly wouldn't be "tax efficiency".

Is it correct that I would have to change from B to G permit?

Assuming yes, then I would need to go back every weekend, right? What about situations like:

- going on vacations
- having to work in Switzerland over the weekend (conferences for example)
- having to work in another country (again, conference for example)

As UK is not in Schengen then they swipe your passport every time, so they know whether you came and went. I could imagine that cross border commuters in France/Germany/Italy on the other hand could easily not go home every weekend, because who is able to know?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.04.2014, 13:58
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,046
Groaned at 289 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 15,591 Times in 8,673 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the replies. There is a valid reason to want to move my base to UK, and you're right, it certainly wouldn't be "tax efficiency".

Is it correct that I would have to change from B to G permit?

Assuming yes, then I would need to go back every weekend, right? What about situations like:

- going on vacations
- having to work in Switzerland over the weekend (conferences for example)
- having to work in another country (again, conference for example)

As UK is not in Schengen then they swipe your passport every time, so they know whether you came and went. I could imagine that cross border commuters in France/Germany/Italy on the other hand could easily not go home every weekend, because who is able to know?
The Swiss will give you a G, I doubt they will care very much as you will be taxed at source .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.04.2014, 10:14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ticino
Posts: 354
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 172 Posts
paizuri has earned some respectpaizuri has earned some respect
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss will give you a G, I doubt they will care very much as you will be taxed at source .
Yes, I'm not so concerned about the Swiss. I am more concerned about the British - whether or not someone who is working 100% job in another country will be classed as "settled and present"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.04.2014, 10:42
Sco Sco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Sco has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to be "resident" in more than one country? I would like to move my residency to the UK (i am British), but would I be able to continue working in Switzerland? eg. commute every week, spend weekends in UK. I am employed on a local contract in Switzerland and am on EU B permit.

Thanks for advice
If you want some advice regarding this from a UK tax perspective inbox me. I am a UK tax adviser specialising in non-dom and residency issues.

It is highly likely that you will need to take advice if you are spending a large amount of time in the UK, as you have suggested. I am happy to put you in touch with an ex-colleague in the UK who could have an initial chat with you.

Good luck.

SCO
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.04.2014, 10:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,046
Groaned at 289 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 15,591 Times in 8,673 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

TBH, if you tell them your living there they will happily accept money in taxes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.05.2014, 19:52
OBone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Aeugst Am Albis
Posts: 491
Groaned at 21 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 120 Posts
OBone has earned the respect of manyOBone has earned the respect of manyOBone has earned the respect of many
Re: Moving to UK but continuing to work in Switzerland

interesting....

I have had several contractors work for me over the years who have been living in the UK and working out of CH who flew back at the weekends.

for them i think it worked out quite well financially. I know they were paid in CHF into a swiss back account.

whether they declared it back in the UK however...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I work for a UK company but moving to Switzerland. Which country do I pay income tax? rafz Finance/banking/taxation 10 01.02.2011 22:44
UK employee, but living in Switzerland working from home. How does that work?? Quest Finance/banking/taxation 9 10.05.2010 12:03
Moving to Greece but also in Switzerland cbassthefish Business & entrepreneur 8 21.02.2010 09:19
Moving to Switzerland: Will our UK (SONY LCD) TV work in Geneva? AndrasK TV/internet/telephone 7 30.01.2010 11:31
Work-from-home UK job but living in Switzerland? RolandRB Finance/banking/taxation 4 10.12.2007 21:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0