Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.05.2014, 14:24
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

I've lived in Zurich since mid August 2009 and as a Brit I should be eligible for a C permit in August. However we are thinking of moving to Schwyz in the near future. Ideally the landlord wants us in by 1st August. I've heard stories that moving so close to the permit issuance can cause issues and means I could end up with another 5 year B permit.

Does anyone have any experience of this being true or not or any useful links?

I'm going to go to the Kreisburo in Zurich tomorrow, but I suspect they will tell me to speak to the Gemeinde in Schwyz, which is less convenient.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.05.2014, 15:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 506
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 332 Times in 217 Posts
slingb is considered knowledgeableslingb is considered knowledgeableslingb is considered knowledgeable
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

I don't know the answer to your exact question, but 2 things to be aware:

- even if you stayed in Zurich, it is common the C permit to be approved and/or arrive a while after your anniversary; in your case it may get approved in September or October even. (So it's not a matter of succeding to extending your ZH rental for 2 weeks, you need a lot longer.)
- even if you get your C permit in time, it says 'valid in canton ZH only'. I understand this means there will be a procedure to change it to another canton.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slingb for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.05.2014, 16:38
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins
Posts: 6,501
Groaned at 191 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 4,513 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
- even if you get your C permit in time, it says 'valid in canton ZH only'. I understand this means there will be a procedure to change it to another canton.
It shouldn't. Maybe there's some special type of C that is canton-specific, but in general the whole point of a C is that it's valid throughout Switzerland. Mine has got "EG/EFTA" , and "Gultig fur die ganze Schweiz" printed on it. Maybe it's different for non-EU/EFTA folks?

You'll need to re-register in the new canton, of course, but with a standard C that's just a matter of going into the office with the papers and the right fee.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.05.2014, 10:07
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

I went to the Kreisbüro this morning:
The issuance of a C permit is the remit of the Migrationsamt and is independent of the cantons.
You can apply for an extension/change to C permit up to three months before the expiry of the current permit.
It costs CHF 105 and you need your current permit and passport.
The Migrationsamt will contact you if they need further information.
It takes 4-6 weeks to make a decision and they will send it in the post.
If I move in the meantime, I just have to let them know (deregister) as usual and it should all flow through fine.

So, as I arrived on the 15th August and today is the 16th May and I had had the documentation with me, I've applied and should hopefully have one (or not) by the beginning of July.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.05.2014, 10:19
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

As soon as you get the permit C, give your employer a copy so he knows he can stop deducting income tax at source. You should save a similar amount every month for the time they present you with the tax demand for 2014, which will be around May 2015.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.05.2014, 10:52
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
As soon as you get the permit C, give your employer a copy so he knows he can stop deducting income tax at source. You should save a similar amount every month for the time they present you with the tax demand for 2014, which will be around May 2015.
We are planning on moving to the lowest taxed Gemeinde in Switzerland, so hopefully I won't need to save quite as much every month ;-)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.05.2014, 11:42
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,371
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,693 Times in 6,221 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
I went to the Kreisbüro this morning:
The issuance of a C permit is the remit of the Migrationsamt and is independent of the cantons.
You can apply for an extension/change to C permit up to three months before the expiry of the current permit.
It costs CHF 105 and you need your current permit and passport.
The Migrationsamt will contact you if they need further information.
It takes 4-6 weeks to make a decision and they will send it in the post.
If I move in the meantime, I just have to let them know (deregister) as usual and it should all flow through fine.

So, as I arrived on the 15th August and today is the 16th May and I had had the documentation with me, I've applied and should hopefully have one (or not) by the beginning of July.
you might get it sooner. it took about a week from me sending the information to actually getting the permit in my mailbox.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 16.05.2014, 11:45
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
you might get it sooner. it took about a week from me sending the information to actually getting the permit in my mailbox.
What info did you need to send?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.05.2014, 11:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,675
Groaned at 252 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 13,087 Times in 7,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
What info did you need to send?
I was only asked for the debt register however now they ask for a criminal record check as well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 16.05.2014, 12:09
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
I was only asked for the debt register however now they ask for a criminal record check as well.
Thanks. Strange they didn't tell me that at the Kreisbüro. I could have go it all together at once and sent it as a single package. Also slightly annoying as I was at the debt register place this morning getting a print out for my apartment application.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.05.2014, 12:10
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,675
Groaned at 252 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 13,087 Times in 7,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. Strange they didn't tell me that at the Kreisbüro. I could have go it all together at once and sent it as a single package. Also slightly annoying as I was at the debt register place this morning getting a print out for my apartment application.
They only need a photocopy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 16.05.2014, 12:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Rayne has no particular reputation at present
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

As you're a Brit, the Migrationsamt can now ask for evidence that you have passed a German exam to at least A2 level before issuing the C permit. My husband took this exam a few weeks ago and met a number of Brits there only doing the exam because they wanted to get a C Permit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.05.2014, 13:19
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,106
Groaned at 103 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 14,618 Times in 4,709 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
As you're a Brit, the Migrationsamt can now ask for evidence that you have passed a German exam to at least A2 level before issuing the C permit. My husband took this exam a few weeks ago and met a number of Brits there only doing the exam because they wanted to get a C Permit.
Is this something *very* new, because I got my C last March without any such requirements.
In any case I am easily A2 level (in restaurants ).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.05.2014, 13:50
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,612
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 13,295 Times in 5,916 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
Is this something *very* new, because I got my C last March without any such requirements.
In any case I am easily A2 level (in restaurants ).
There was a whole thread about this very recently?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 16.05.2014, 17:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Rayne has no particular reputation at present
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

The language requirement is set by Canton, not all Cantons require this but Zurich now does.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16.05.2014, 18:31
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins
Posts: 6,501
Groaned at 191 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 4,513 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
As you're a Brit, the Migrationsamt can now ask for evidence that you have passed a German exam to at least A2 level before issuing the C permit. My husband took this exam a few weeks ago and met a number of Brits there only doing the exam because they wanted to get a C Permit.
Quote:
View Post
Is this something *very* new, because I got my C last March without any such requirements.
In any case I am easily A2 level (in restaurants ).
It's a Zurich thing. I didn't need to do one either, in BS. Mind you, that was some years ago now, but I'm pretty sure you still don't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 16.05.2014, 18:45
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

From that thread and a link in another thread it does seem that an A2 certificate is needed. However, it doesn't seem to be strictly/consistently enforced.

As always when I speak with officials I, I spoke 98% in Hochdeutsch (with a Gruezi etc thrown in for good measure). I also had to write on the form that I want them to check whether I can have a C permit. I'm hoping that proves to be sufficient for the permit to be issued. I have a B1+ certificate from a language school somewhere. Hopefully that will be sufficient. I really hope I don't need to go and do a Goethe test to prove I am at level A2, as most people assume my German is B2/C1.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.05.2014, 19:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 8,738
Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 19,223 Times in 6,156 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
From that thread and a link in another thread it does seem that an A2 certificate is needed. However, it doesn't seem to be strictly/consistently enforced.

As always when I speak with officials I, I spoke 98% in Hochdeutsch (with a Gruezi etc thrown in for good measure). I also had to write on the form that I want them to check whether I can have a C permit. I'm hoping that proves to be sufficient for the permit to be issued. I have a B1+ certificate from a language school somewhere. Hopefully that will be sufficient. I really hope I don't need to go and do a Goethe test to prove I am at level A2, as most people assume my German is B2/C1.
Eyebeebee, will you be applying in ZH or in SZ?

If in SZ, from what I hear from friends who have recently applied, the language certificate is an absolute requirement. In SZ, the following documentation is needed:

http://www.sz.ch/documents/Merkblatt...ewilligung.pdf

(I received my C permit long before the language requirements... but they are now hanging over my head should I decide one day to try to naturalization. B1 written, B2 spoken for naturalization.)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 16.05.2014, 20:51
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,334 Times in 637 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

Quote:
View Post
Eyebeebee, will you be applying in ZH or in SZ?

If in SZ, from what I hear from friends who have recently applied, the language certificate is an absolute requirement. In SZ, the following documentation is needed:

http://www.sz.ch/documents/Merkblatt...ewilligung.pdf

(I received my C permit long before the language requirements... but they are now hanging over my head should I decide one day to try to naturalization. B1 written, B2 spoken for naturalization.)
Thanks Meloncollie, I've applied today in Zurich as that is where I am still living. That link is really helpful though. It would be great if Zurich did something so straightforward and comprehensive. Interesting that you only have to have proof that you speak German to a A2 level and don't need it written. I'm sure if I go for naturalisation (still 7 years away) it would be in Schwyz, as I can't imagine us moving to another canton from there (unless suitable jobs, paying the right kind of money suddenly appear in Ticino - I can dream).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.05.2014, 10:53
GarryBasel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 105
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
GarryBasel has earned some respectGarryBasel has earned some respect
Re: Impact of moving cantons just before C permit issuance.

In Switzerland, your canton, not Bern, gives you your passport. You are a citizen of your Canton, not Switzerland. Your canton is a member state of the Swiss confederation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
c permit, canton change




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving cantons - permit process? madeche06 Permits/visas/government 3 02.03.2014 15:34
Impact of permit type on finding a house symphara Housing in general 8 11.09.2013 08:03
L permit moving Cantons kalexis Permits/visas/government 1 31.10.2012 22:23
Moving cantons with an F permit ipoddle Permits/visas/government 2 25.03.2010 16:50
Permit BL/BS in Credit Card Format [switching cantons before permit is issued] claraaus Permits/visas/government 1 07.07.2009 16:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0