Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
View Poll Results: Stay or Move -- Any benefit for Naturalisation to stay longer?
Continue living in same Commune in canton GE 15 93.75%
Move to canton VD, if you want 1 6.25%
Don't know/Can't say 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 26.08.2014, 18:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sion/VS, Fribourg/FR, Bern/BE
Posts: 930
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 243 Posts
happyrobbie has an excellent reputationhappyrobbie has an excellent reputationhappyrobbie has an excellent reputationhappyrobbie has an excellent reputation
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
Excellent post. What about Fribourg? Do you the process there? And do you happen to know if you need both French and German in the bilingual cantons?
In Valais either french or german is enough. I think in fribourg it's the same. Otherwise It makes no sense because even a lot of local people in bilingual cantons do not speak both languages.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 26.08.2014, 19:11
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,575
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,345 Times in 4,175 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
In Valais either french or german is enough. I think in fribourg it's the same. Otherwise It makes no sense because even a lot of local people in bilingual cantons do not speak both languages.
Thanks for that. I wonder if anyone knows about the level of testing, etc as Ramtine outlined in the post re: VD vs GE.

Wouldn't it be great to have a thread like that for all cantons?!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 26.08.2014, 19:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Valais
Posts: 88
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 36 Posts
Potrzebie has become a little unpopular
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
In Valais either french or german is enough. I think in fribourg it's the same. Otherwise It makes no sense because even a lot of local people in bilingual cantons do not speak both languages.
Haha. I had a proceeding before the Valais administration in Sion a few years ago and just out of curiosity (I am Swiss and speak French well and German badly) asked whether in these offices they were bilingual (as is, officially, Fribourg where I have business from time to time with Bakom, admittedly a federal office). They pointed to some guy in an outer office and said "He's our guy".

Not like Belgium where I lived. And where every federal office has 2 people doing every job, one in each language. Or in the provinces where they are intentionally monolingual. Got that in Quebec too: my daughter answered the phone and she is perfectly bilingual, educated in Geneva schools. But she couldn't understand a word of Québecois and the tax person didn't speak English. (I made a joke of it to the tax lady later: "Pour ma fille votre accent est une nouveauté", which she took well. At least she didn't raise my tax any.)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.08.2014, 20:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sion/VS, Fribourg/FR, Bern/BE
Posts: 930
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 243 Posts
happyrobbie has an excellent reputationhappyrobbie has an excellent reputationhappyrobbie has an excellent reputationhappyrobbie has an excellent reputation
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Canton Berne is also officially bilingual. When I called the cantonal financial office I heard "for German, press 1, for french, press 2". I pressed 2 and the lady did not understand a single french word...

Quote:
View Post
Haha. I had a proceeding before the Valais administration in Sion a few years ago and just out of curiosity (I am Swiss and speak French well and German badly) asked whether in these offices they were bilingual (as is, officially, Fribourg where I have business from time to time with Bakom, admittedly a federal office). They pointed to some guy in an outer office and said "He's our guy".

Not like Belgium where I lived. And where every federal office has 2 people doing every job, one in each language. Or in the provinces where they are intentionally monolingual. Got that in Quebec too: my daughter answered the phone and she is perfectly bilingual, educated in Geneva schools. But she couldn't understand a word of Québecois and the tax person didn't speak English. (I made a joke of it to the tax lady later: "Pour ma fille votre accent est une nouveauté", which she took well. At least she didn't raise my tax any.)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26.08.2014, 21:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canton Vaud
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 14 Posts
flyboy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
OP:

I know both Canton Geneva and Vaud like the palm of my hand and I would suggest you to submit your demand in Geneva.

Please note that rents are not much cheaper in La Côte (in Terre Sainte rents are the same as in Geneva -- if not higher !).

In case you want to move to Canton VD, please submit your demand in Geneva before settling outside Canton GE.

Read Skappler's post: I agree with everything she said.


Advantage of Naturalization in Canton GE:


- Unlike most cantons, there is no general knowledge test in Canton GE (In Vaud you need to pass the Cantonal civics and institution exam. in GE, they expect you to know all these).
- The Process is centralized for the whole canton. No communal interview. The interview is done by the guys at the Service cantonal des naturalisations.
- The authorities in Geneva are known to be the most lenient in CH when it comes to naturalization.

Disadvantage of Naturalization in Canton GE:


- Depending on your income, la taxe de naturalisation might be higher in GE than in VD
- Lengthy naturalization process (*). Mostly because the office is understaffed.

Advantage of Naturalization in Canton VD:

- The naturalization process is usually shorter, depending also in which district you will be living.
- You can keep your Swiss citizenship in case The Republic and Canton of Geneva leaves the Swiss Confederation [rest assured - won't happen anytime soon ]...

Disadvantage of Naturalization in Canton VD:

- Mandatory Cantonal civics and institution exam. They might ask you to name the 7 members of cantonal govt (conseillers d'État vaudois), the 7 members of Federal Council (aka les 7 sages in Romandie), the name of your district's préfet, of your commune's syndic (aka maire in GE/NE...), questsion about Guillaume Tell, généraux Dufour and Guisan, guerre du Sonderbund... They might even ask you how to make Fondue moitié-moitié, la soupe aux pois, papet vaudois... Another typical question is to explain the motto of VD "Liberté et Patrie" seen on their flag...
- 2 x interviews (communal and cantonal)
- The Naturalization commission might not be easy going. Still better than most Swiss-German cantons though.


(*) All in all, it's not easy to estimate the exact length of naturalization process in Geneva. I would say between 1 and 3 years. I personally know two persons who were recently naturalized in Geneva: one Iranian man and one Portuguese man. Both had C permits and have been living in Geneva for more than 12 years. Both are married with children.

The Iranian guy and his family were naturalized after slightly more than 1 year. He was only interviewed by phone (at the end of phone conversation the naturalization officer told him that there is no further interview required). He never had house visit.

The Portuguese family naturalization process took almost 3 years. He and his wife were asked to attend an interview and everything went well, and again no house visit.

Both the Iranian and the Portuguese men had their education in Switzerland: PhD for the former and CFC for the latter. Both are working in Geneva and speak fluent French.

HTH
No idea where you got your information from , regarding the mandatory Cantonal civics and institution exam in canton Vaud and as i've mentioned, i'm in the process of naturalising in canton Vaud. I only had the commune interview, got the approval, file sent onto the canton, got cantonal approval without any additional interviews followed by the federal approval and now awaiting the invitation for the citizenship ceremony.
Maybe you confused what you wrote about canton Vaud with the process in some other canton.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank flyboy for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 02.10.2016, 13:41
gianni001's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montreux
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gianni001 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
No idea where you got your information from , regarding the mandatory Cantonal civics and institution exam in canton Vaud and as i've mentioned, i'm in the process of naturalising in canton Vaud. I only had the commune interview, got the approval, file sent onto the canton, got cantonal approval without any additional interviews followed by the federal approval and now awaiting the invitation for the citizenship ceremony.
Maybe you confused what you wrote about canton Vaud with the process in some other canton.
I'm relieved to hear that there is no Cantonal Civics exam...nor can I believe its about time for me to take the nationality once the hammer drops on the new law.

About how long has the new naturalization process taken for you? It says on the website 2.5 years. That's incredible...I'm not sure what the future holds in store and if I can be resident here for that long. I hope its shorter than 2.5 years to process. My case is pretty straight up. EU citizen been living here for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02.10.2016, 15:03
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,882
Groaned at 301 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 13,146 Times in 7,535 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
I'm relieved to hear that there is no Cantonal Civics exam...nor can I believe its about time for me to take the nationality once the hammer drops on the new law.

About how long has the new naturalization process taken for you? It says on the website 2.5 years. That's incredible...I'm not sure what the future holds in store and if I can be resident here for that long. I hope its shorter than 2.5 years to process. My case is pretty straight up. EU citizen been living here for a long time.
New naturalisation law doesn't come into effect until 1st Jan 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02.10.2016, 16:38
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,577
Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 11,490 Times in 5,392 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Naturalisation -- Should we continue staying in Commune/Canton?

Quote:
View Post
...I'm not sure what the future holds in store and if I can be resident here for that long. I hope its shorter than 2.5 years to process. My case is pretty straight up. EU citizen been living here for a long time.
Just curious - why do you want Swiss citizenship if you don't even plan to stay here? I don't see how it offers you any additional benefits over an EU passport, except perhaps if you want to return in the future?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canton, change, commune, move, naturalisation




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Question: Changing Commune in Canton Zurich miba Finance/banking/taxation 7 08.03.2017 15:01
Tax: Changing Commune/Municipality/Town in Canton Zurich washbrol Finance/banking/taxation 11 04.11.2015 08:59
Commune naturalisation interview...done PaddyG Permits/visas/government 132 12.09.2013 23:52
Second dog. Should we or should we not? gata Pet corner 40 12.07.2012 16:35
working and staying in different canton than the WP canton kashif Permits/visas/government 0 31.01.2011 00:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0