Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 27.10.2019, 10:03
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,626
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,087 Times in 8,656 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
So guys I am back to thread after 5 years. here is what happened since then: I did 3 years postdoc in geneva (B permit) but after that, beginning of this year (2019) unfortunately I got L permit for one year for my first job in Valais despite of a open ended 100% contract. Most probably the L permit will be extended for another year and only after 2 years of L it will turn to B (in 2021). So according to what you guys said I can get C permit only after 5 years on B (in 2026) I think I will hit a record for the longest time toget a C permit!!

I have heared that in Zurich Canton, if the L permit is given based on an open ended contract, they treat it as B permit when it comes to counting the years required for obtaining a C permit. Does any one know such a role exists in other cantons like Geneva?
Since the rules changed in January this year, L permits don't count at all. You will also need to speak a Swiss language (French in this case being Geneva) as part of the requirements to get a C.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 27.10.2019, 11:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Zurigo
Posts: 63
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 22 Posts
qwertz has earned some respectqwertz has earned some respect
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quoting in French given you are based in Romandie:

Les séjours à but de formation ou de formation continue sont néanmoins comptabilisés si, à leur terme, l’étranger a été en possession d’une autorisation de séjour durable pendant deux ans sans interruption (cf. art. 34, al. 5, LEI) ou si le séjour au titre d’une autorisation de courte durée a acquis un caractère durable en raison, par exemple, d’un contrat de travail de durée indéterminée ou parce que les autorités et l’étranger sont partis de l’idée qu’il s’agissait dès le début d’un séjour durable.

From new foreigners law directives 3.3.5.2:
https://www.sem.admin.ch/dam/data/se...g-f.pdf#page77

Basically even L permits after graduation count for C only with an indefinite work contract or the migration authorities presume it was going to be a long-term stay since the beginning.

At the two year mark post graduation you would need to request a C based on the above and it will be up to them to decide whether to grant it or not. The guidance is written with sufficient ambiguity (as with many things in CH, for better or worse) for them to basically decide as they please.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank qwertz for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 27.10.2019, 11:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Thanks for the info!

This paragraph is new and is added to the Law in the June 2019:

ou si le séjour au titre d’une autorisation de courte durée a acquis un caractère durable en raison, par exemple, d’un contrat de travail de durée indéterminée ou parce que les autorités et l’étranger sont partis de l’idée qu’il s’agissait dès le début d’un séjour durable.

it did not exist in the previous versions (Version of October 2013 (and in its update on 18 July 2016)). I think it will be realy crucial for us thank qwertz!!
I hope they will not remove it in the next two years!!!

Last edited by mahbod.heidari; 27.10.2019 at 11:42.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 27.10.2019, 12:01
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 228
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 65 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Just remember to write the details in your letter!

Also the L you received might just be due to then running out of Bs. You might be upgraded sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 27.10.2019, 12:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
Just remember to write the details in your letter!

Also the L you received might just be due to then running out of Bs. You might be upgraded sooner rather than later.
Sure! I think we need to wait a few months and see how the immigration authorities in Valais, Vaud and Geneva will interpret this new paragraph and if they will treat L permit issued with open ended contract equally as B permit when it comes to early C permit application.

It is not a question of quota in Valais. As the work and commercial section in Valais explained me the first work permit for non-eu is always an L in Valais, independent of work contract or quota, it will turn to B only after 2 years. I applied in January and got an L in February when the qoutas should be available.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 27.10.2019, 13:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
Since the rules changed in January this year, L permits don't count at all. You will also need to speak a Swiss language (French in this case being Geneva) as part of the requirements to get a C.
Thanks Medea. French is not a problem I already have C1. Since you have a lot of experience, I wanted to know how do you interpret the new paragraph that L permit issued with open ended contract will be treated equally as B permit when it comes to early C permit application (changes in June 2019 in new foreigners law directives undersection 3.3.5.2 page 57)

My feeling is that first they implemented this rule in Zurich and now they want to do that in all cantons for the reason of uniformity.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 27.10.2019, 13:32
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,626
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,087 Times in 8,656 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Medea. French is not a problem I already have C1. Since you have a lot of experience, I wanted to know how do you interpret the new paragraph that L permit issued with open ended contract will be treated equally as B permit when it comes to early C permit application (changes in June 2019 in new foreigners law directives undersection 3.3.5.2 page 57)

My feeling is that first they implemented this rule in Zurich and now they want to do that in all cantons for the reason of uniformity.
No way to say, since each canton will do its own thing regarding this as they do with so many other things.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 27.10.2019, 14:34
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 9,648
Groaned at 63 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 15,239 Times in 7,001 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
No way to say, since each canton will do its own thing regarding this as they do with so many other things.
If in doubt, it seems most cantons and the federal government are moving towards making it more difficult to obtain C permit as well as naturalization. Hope for the best, plan for the longer-term scenario.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 07.11.2019, 17:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
gongyj has earned some respectgongyj has earned some respect
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
So guys I am back to thread after 5 years. here is what happened since then: I did 3 years postdoc in geneva (B permit) but after that, beginning of this year (2019) unfortunately I got L permit for one year for my first job in Valais despite of a open ended 100% contract. Most probably the L permit will be extended for another year and only after 2 years of L it will turn to B (in 2021). So according to what you guys said I can get C permit only after 5 years on B (in 2026) I think I will hit a record for the longest time toget a C permit!!

I have heared that in Zurich Canton, if the L permit is given based on an open ended contract, they treat it as B permit when it comes to counting the years required for obtaining a C permit. Does any one know such a role exists in other cantons like Geneva?
I have similar experiences: PhD in ETH with B permit, and later a job with unlimited contract since 07.2016 with L Permit. In 2018, I got B permit based on same company. In 06.2019, I tried to apply C permit in Zurich, which was actually 9.5 years since I moved to Zurich or Switzerland. And they issued me with C permit.

So according to my experience, the earliest date you can get C is 2022.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08.11.2019, 12:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
avgmigrant has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Maybe a silly question, but the years are counted only within the same canton right? If one changes canton, the count starts from 0 again?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08.11.2019, 12:32
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,626
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,087 Times in 8,656 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

No, shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06.12.2019, 12:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permit C for non-European holders of a degree from a Swiss higher education insti

Quote:
View Post
I have similar experiences: PhD in ETH with B permit, and later a job with unlimited contract since 07.2016 with L Permit. In 2018, I got B permit based on same company. In 06.2019, I tried to apply C permit in Zurich, which was actually 9.5 years since I moved to Zurich or Switzerland. And they issued me with C permit.

So according to my experience, the earliest date you can get C is 2022.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes we had previously reports that it is possible to do so in ZH. However other cantons have not yet implemented it apparently.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business Investor Question for non Swiss Permit Holders Confloozed Business & entrepreneur 5 11.04.2013 22:17
Can I deduct my son's (age 20) higher education fee from 2012 tax return? Fr Xavier Finance/banking/taxation 2 09.04.2013 23:47
Question for non-EU residence B-permit holders. PrincesseEm General off-topic 8 08.06.2010 21:23
Non-EU work permit (L or B) and level of education? richardm Permits/visas/government 3 05.06.2009 10:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0