Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 15.04.2008, 11:12
jbrady's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunny Aargau
Posts: 1,044
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 719 Times in 359 Posts
jbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Most of my photo booth problems stemmed from my glasses - there was always one tiny reflection of the flash on either one side or the other. When I tried to compensate by tilting my head, the resultant photo failed the rules for another reason.
I asked if I could take the photo with no glasses - but I was told that this is also against the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 15.04.2008, 11:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perthia
Posts: 1,236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 905 Times in 446 Posts
Yokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
The machines in train stations (HB, Oerlikon, for sure) do a perfectly adequate and accepted job, costing about 8 Francs.
I just had my passport re-done. I used the photo booth on the 2nd floor of Glattzentrum. For chf 8 it is quite sophisticated, providing a video alignment system to get your head perfectly in position for EU or Swiss ID photo standards. The result was embarrasingly good, it came out like I'd been in a studio shoot with makeup, lighting etc

It was accepted by the Australian authorities who are quite tough.

Next time I get off a 20 hour journey to Australia, I aint gonna look like that photo
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15.04.2008, 11:56
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Most of my photo booth problems stemmed from my glasses - there was always one tiny reflection of the flash on either one side or the other. When I tried to compensate by tilting my head, the resultant photo failed the rules for another reason.
I asked if I could take the photo with no glasses - but I was told that this is also against the rules.
That's strange... What is you wear contacts sometimes & glasses other times?

This might be a good reason to try to do your pictures at home. You can take the picture on a sunny day next to the white wall with no flash.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 15.04.2008, 12:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
That's strange... What is you wear contacts sometimes & glasses other times?

This might be a good reason to try to do your pictures at home. You can take the picture on a sunny day next to the white wall with no flash.
I wear glasses all the time but the times I got my passport / permit / drivers licence / train abonnoment photos done I had contact lenses in (vanity, I guess ).

No-one complained for either the UK or CH documents.

Some people wear glasses just for driving / reading / comfort / fashion. I think it would be hard to enforce a rule where the photos would have to show you wearing your glasses regardless of whether you wear them full time or infrequently.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 15.04.2008, 12:26
nqnln's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Liechtenstein
Posts: 703
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 274 Posts
nqnln has earned the respect of manynqnln has earned the respect of manynqnln has earned the respect of many
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Be careful. Swiss Passport photos are extremely tight with the regulations...

For example, you cannot smile. The size of your head must be perfect within a millimeter. Lighting, etc. must be right on.

So, please don't waste your money at a photo-machine.

I deliver 6 passport photos for CHF 30.-. CHF 40.- is not too much if you live in a larger city.

bests

Those rules are the same in most countries. And as other posters have said, the machines have an on-screen oval, designed to help you satisfy the criteria for your Ausweis, ID, or permit.

There's even a photomachine in Kreisburo 11 - so to me, that gives machines the thumbs up from the Canton.

And if anyone gives out to you, refer to Page 3 of last Friday's Heute: six of the seven Bundesräte fall short of the photo criteria for their national IDs - link through here
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nqnln for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 15.04.2008, 13:09
dakman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC (heart is split between Switzerland and the Big Apple)
Posts: 1,872
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 901 Times in 543 Posts
dakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Thanks for your input. This is for a Permit not for a passport

My plan of action is:

1) first go to Kreiseburo and see if I need a new picture

2) Try the automated machine once or twice

3) If that fails, lay down the 30 or 40 francs for a nice picture
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 15.04.2008, 13:12
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,795
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

for the last 10 years on my C permit, I have had a picture done by a machine - with my eyes closed. They don't seem that strict on permit pictures.

Driving licence pictures must be colour.

Passport pictures must be exactly what is required. I did the last one in a machine too. This may change as biometric requirements grow.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 15.04.2008, 13:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Also, I need to renew my US passport at the end of the year. Will the photo from the machine be sufficient for that, I assume so.
The US Passport picture I wouldnt try with the photo machine personally. I'd rather pay the 24 fr at Foto Minit and give the girl the exact measurements required (listed on the renewal form in inches as well as cm )

For Swiss biometric pass, one can submit a photo booth picture since that is only used for the application. The actual biometric picture (lovely B&W) for in the passport is taken at the Passport office in Zurich (50 fr. fee).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 15.04.2008, 13:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: kloten
Posts: 339
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
Marcashvin has made some interesting contributions
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

I heard that they are not very particular about the photo in some countries .....
Attached Thumbnails
photo-ausweiss-richard_reid.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 15.04.2008, 13:59
JVC
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

I got the invitation to pick up my new Ausweis today and a single photo was requested.

I trotted off to the station in search of a photo booth, but they were full of schoolgirls, so I nipped in to Mister Minit, where 4 passport photos cost CHF 24.

The guy took a couple of shots and put them on the computer. I decided which one I wanted, and 4 identical photos were printed. He also cut them properly and put them in a small but proper looking photo holder.

Straight to the Gemeinde, and on extracting one photo from the four in the holder, it was accepted without question. I got the impression that the way I had done it was appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 15.04.2008, 14:28
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
I got the invitation to pick up my new Ausweis today and a single photo was requested.

I trotted off to the station in search of a photo booth, but they were full of schoolgirls, so I nipped in to Mister Minit, where 4 passport photos cost CHF 24.

The guy took a couple of shots and put them on the computer. I decided which one I wanted, and 4 identical photos were printed. He also cut them properly and put them in a small but proper looking photo holder.

Straight to the Gemeinde, and on extracting one photo from the four in the holder, it was accepted without question. I got the impression that the way I had done it was appreciated.
This might sound petty and anal, but my parents always taught me it's a good idea to to keep official forms and such in a folder, ready to be presented to the officials uncreased, with clear writing (in capitals, inside the provided boxes) in black ink.

Beaurocrats like to think you treat their bits of paper with the same respect they do, and are usualy much more helpful when they see you've tried you best to try to cope with their often confusing demands.

I can't remember anytime I've had my forms rejected.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 15.04.2008, 15:18
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 148
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
abzurich has made some interesting contributions
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your input. This is for a Permit not for a passport

My plan of action is:

1) first go to Kreiseburo and see if I need a new picture

2) Try the automated machine once or twice

3) If that fails, lay down the 30 or 40 francs for a nice picture
Not saying that this is the case... but my roommate just had his permit renewed. When he went to the Kreiseburo they told him that he had to pay 95 CHF instead of 65 CHF (he assumed they raised the prices at the beginning of the year). When the new permit came in he received a letter saying he needed to bring with him a new picture so he went to the little machine and had 4 new pictures made. He arrived at the Kreiseburo and was surprised to find out that 1. not only was his old picture fine but 2. the real reason he had to come was that they accidently overcharged him - it should have only been 65 CHF.
I think you are wise for going to the Krieseburo first to see what the real issue is... apparently they are sometimes confused
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 15.04.2008, 15:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perthia
Posts: 1,236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 905 Times in 446 Posts
Yokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Not saying that this is the case... but my roommate just had his permit renewed. When he went to the Kreiseburo they told him that he had to pay 95 CHF instead of 65 CHF (he assumed they raised the prices at the beginning of the year). When the new permit came in he received a letter saying he needed to bring with him a new picture so he went to the little machine and had 4 new pictures made. He arrived at the Kreiseburo and was surprised to find out that 1. not only was his old picture fine but 2. the real reason he had to come was that they accidently overcharged him - it should have only been 65 CHF.
I think you are wise for going to the Krieseburo first to see what the real issue is... apparently they are sometimes confused
Hmmm, I just had to renew my permit and got slugged the chf95 as well, instead of the previous chf65-. Hope I get one of those invitations as well
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 15.04.2008, 15:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: kloten
Posts: 339
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
Marcashvin has made some interesting contributions
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm, I just had to renew my permit and got slugged the chf95 as well, instead of the previous chf65-. Hope I get one of those invitations as well
I have to pay CHF 95 as well , but that is including my son's B permit ...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15.04.2008, 16:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,194
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,625 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
I heard that they are not very particular about the photo in some countries .....
I so don't get this!?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15.04.2008, 17:21
JVC
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
This might sound petty and anal, but my parents always taught me it's a good idea to to keep official forms and such in a folder, ready to be presented to the officials uncreased, with clear writing (in capitals, inside the provided boxes) in black ink.
Not petty and anal at all Cyrus, though I had forgotten about the black ink thing.

It's matter of presentation, and while I'm on the subject I will say that before going for the photos and then to the Gemeinde I swapped my jeans and pullover for a dark pair of trousers and a designer t-shirt, but didn't go as far as a suit and tie because I know the way the folks at the Gemeinde dress (smart casual, Swiss style).

Quote:
Beaurocrats like to think you treat their bits of paper with the same respect they do, and are usualy much more helpful when they see you've tried you best to try to cope with their often confusing demands.

I can't remember anytime I've had my forms rejected.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15.04.2008, 17:26
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

On my letter to pick up my new permit, they said I need to bring a picture if I wanted to change the photo, which I did. The old one was not so nice and done in a hurry. So... see above about my homemade and slightly photoshopped photo, which printed out again & brought with me.

When I went to get my new permit, they cut out the old picture and handed it back to me. I didn't really want it... I guess they didn't want it either! Good thing I changed it.

They didn't even notice that my hair is a good 6 inches longer than in the picture....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 16.04.2008, 01:40
jbrady's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunny Aargau
Posts: 1,044
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 719 Times in 359 Posts
jbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Mine fell out in the last 4 years - it was a little noticable in my case
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 16.04.2008, 08:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,471
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

Quote:
View Post
Be careful. Swiss Passport photos are extremely tight with the regulations...

For example, you cannot smile. The size of your head must be perfect within a millimeter. Lighting, etc. must be right on.

So, please don't waste your money at a photo-machine.

I deliver 6 passport photos for CHF 30.-. CHF 40.- is not too much if you live in a larger city.

bests
They aren't too fussy for the Permit photos.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 16.04.2008, 15:31
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,151
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,102 Times in 803 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photo for Ausweiss

I'll have to agree with many other experiences in this thread: I always used photos from booths (for Ausweis, not for Passport) and the Gemeinde people don't seem to care much, at least in my part of rural Switzerland. Scott does have a point though; I heard the exact same comment from my Embassy folks in Bern regarding how picky they are becoming lately.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
ausweiss




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Photo - instead of an avatar Jamesk Forum support 352 20.02.2008 06:48
Photo books Jenni Other/general 3 05.11.2007 14:00
Looking for photo frames finalspirit Other/general 6 02.05.2007 10:57
I was looking at the photo section... jamaicanRUM General off-topic 23 24.01.2007 13:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0