Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.04.2008, 17:24
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: in CH
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
GBer has slipped a little
Border Crossings?

Are there border crossings where you are inspected or have to present your passport with France, Germany, or Italy? Is this true of all border crossings or just the large ones?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.04.2008, 18:01
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,747
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,124 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Yes, there are.
Mostly large, but some are unattended.

Any particular reason you want to wander around in other countries without a passport?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.04.2008, 18:31
ooo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, there are.
Mostly large, but some are unattended.

Any particular reason you want to wander around in other countries without a passport?
… or with a passport but avoiding the inspections???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.04.2008, 19:19
DC_in_Hombi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hombrechtikon
Posts: 302
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
DC_in_Hombi has no particular reputation at present
Re: Border Crossings?

There are some small unatended crossings but the roads are watched and if they pull you then you are in for a full check. Normally the Sat at the end of the month when everybodys been paid they are hot.

DC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.04.2008, 19:34
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Border Crossings?

Most of the crossings( large and small ) are manned, but there are a few small border crossings that are often not manned at all.

For example, I used to live in Nyon, and there is a crossing into
France that is rarely manned. Late Sunday evenings are also good
for crossing the border.

Be careful. If you get caught trying to hide something, the fine
and import duties are more.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.04.2008, 19:58
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,847
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Situation will change when Switzerland joins Schengen. No checking at the border. Instead, more flying squads patrolling frontier zones.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.04.2008, 20:04
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
Situation will change when Switzerland joins Schengen. No checking at the border. Instead, more flying squads patrolling frontier zones.
Nope, that's not correct. Schengen won't change a thing at the border because Schengen only concerns passport / ID checks but not import goods.
There are still checks at the border and you still have to pay import tax. You aren't required to proactively show the customs officers your passports, though (but you still have to have them on you).

In addition to the border checks, there'll also be checks within a certain distance from the border (that's going on already, btw.)

The only place we might actually benefit from Schengen is international travel by air.

peter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:23
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,809
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Yes, this has been the case for many years. You'll also find that, for example, remote borders will be randomly manned and traffic going each way will be checked by the customs officials of one country. Yes indeedy, you can have a German border guard check you coming into Swizterland.....there just are not enough personnel to check these borders.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:30
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 148
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
danm3 has become a little unpopular
Re: Border Crossings?

That reminds me, I really need to remove my huge collection of 200 burned CDs from my car..

I was going into Basel the other day and I noticed they had been doing spot checks on cars checking everything was above board, and I could have been in a lot of trouble, apparently the fines are huge

Every time they see my English license plate they always stop my car and ask me questions
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:31
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,315
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, this has been the case for many years. You'll also find that, for example, remote borders will be randomly manned and traffic going each way will be checked by the customs officials of one country. Yes indeedy, you can have a German border guard check you coming into Swizterland.....there just are not enough personnel to check these borders.
I've been though this, having a German guard stop me on the way into Switzerland. Even more strange, though, was the time I was stopped by the French while driving into Germany. It was the only time I've ever been stopped by the French.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:33
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
That reminds me, I really need to remove my huge collection of 200 burned CDs from my car..
why? There's no law against burning CDs in Switzerland. There's also no law against private music sharing (P2P sharing is something else, though).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:34
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,809
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
That reminds me, I really need to remove my huge collection of 200 burned CDs from my car..

I was going into Basel the other day and I noticed they had been doing spot checks on cars checking everything was above board, and I could have been in a lot of trouble, apparently the fines are huge

Every time they see my English license plate they always stop my car and ask me questions
having your mp3 collection burned onto CD is not an issue here, if it is for personal use. As long as you're not uploading, you're "safe".

If they're all copies and you've printed labels and made it look like you might sell them then you may have an issue.

And if you're happy to be a magnet for the cops and border guys, keep the UK-registered car for the next 1-2 years and see how happy they are. I assume you're blaming them for stopping you, right?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:37
Dodger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lörrach/DE
Posts: 648
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 568 Times in 294 Posts
Dodger has an excellent reputationDodger has an excellent reputationDodger has an excellent reputationDodger has an excellent reputation
Re: Border Crossings?

Every day I cross the border: usually at Basel Badische Bahnhof. The crossing there is almost always manned by both Swiss and German officials, but they don't check everybody (only been checked once so far).

Unfortunately, crossing the border means always having a passport handy. Unlike some countries that have had the sense to come up with a simple type of ID card, the only acceptable ID form for me in Germany, France or Italy is a passport. But I generally leave the passport at home if I'm not leaving Germany.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:38
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 148
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
danm3 has become a little unpopular
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
having your mp3 collection burned onto CD is not an issue here, if it is for personal use. As long as you're not uploading, you're "safe".

If they're all copies and you've printed labels and made it look like you might sell them then you may have an issue.


And if you're happy to be a magnet for the cops and border guys, keep the UK-registered car for the next 1-2 years and see how happy they are. I assume you're blaming them for stopping you, right?
Ah grand. They're all just blank CDs with music on, no covers or cases.

Not blaming the border guys for stopping me at all, I haven't actually come across an unfriendly one as of yet! Same thing I say every time "nein nein, ich will nur tanken!"

My passport lives in my car now, because every single time I have to stop, wind down the window, hand over my passport and then wait about a minute for them to do whatever it is they do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:45
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
Not blaming the border guys for stopping me at all, I haven't actually come across an unfriendly one as of yet!
I've never come across a friendly one :-) No, seriously - I find most of them to be grumpy and intellect-wise on the lower end of the food-chain.

However, once in a while there's a nice guy - like when I came back to Switzerland from Malta in February and the officer asked me if I was heading back to Basel by car. When I said yes, he warned me of the icy roads and told me I should drive carefully.

peter
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:46
royalbigmc's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: baden
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
royalbigmc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Border Crossings?

May be! November 2008, will be easier to cross the boarder with out fuzz of visa.check up this link!
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/.../einreise.html

but I am not sure with swiss residence permits in here , would effect on this changing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.04.2008, 08:47
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 148
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
danm3 has become a little unpopular
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
I've never come across a friendly one :-) No, seriously - I find most of them to be grumpy and intellect-wise on the lower end of the food-chain.

However, once in a while there's a nice guy - like when I came back to Switzerland from Malta in February and the officer asked me if I was heading back to Basel by car. When I said yes, he warned me of the icy roads and told me I should drive carefully.

peter
What a nice guy.

Actually at the border crossing in Stenn/Bad Säckingen there's a fair few lookers (females) working there. Yummy. When I spot one of these I more or less hang my arm out of the window with my passport just begging to be stopped before they even ask.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.04.2008, 13:28
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,847
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
What a nice guy.

Actually at the border crossing in Stenn/Bad Säckingen there's a fair few lookers (females) working there. Yummy. When I spot one of these I more or less hang my arm out of the window with my passport just begging to be stopped before they even ask.
Wow! Border crossing can be fun. We can do without Schengen.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.04.2008, 13:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
I've been though this, having a German guard stop me on the way into Switzerland. Even more strange, though, was the time I was stopped by the French while driving into Germany. It was the only time I've ever been stopped by the French.
The french border officals decided to rip my car apart entering from Belgium towards Lille, the guy asked what I do for a living.

Then he decided to have a look through my neatly packed luggage in the boot and I just stood their opening items all over the place until he was happy with his female accomplice.

He asked me do I have anything to declare??

I laughed at him which probably got me the car search (Basically EU to EU = No limit so why was he asking me dufus?)

Annoyingly that 15 mins cost me a missed ferry to the rule is never laugh at French customs officials otherwise you have to wait for 2hrs
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 23.04.2008, 13:23
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,747
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,124 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border Crossings?

Quote:
View Post
The french border officals decided to rip my car apart entering from Belgium towards Lille, the guy asked what I do for a living.

Then he decided to have a look through my neatly packed luggage in the boot and I just stood their opening items all over the place until he was happy with his female accomplice.

He asked me do I have anything to declare??

I laughed at him which probably got me the car search (Basically EU to EU = No limit so why was he asking me dufus?)

Annoyingly that 15 mins cost me a missed ferry to the rule is never laugh at French customs officials otherwise you have to wait for 2hrs
He might have been looking for cash more than 10k Euros... some EU directive about it came out end of last year-ish...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a PO box across the border Castro Other/general 10 14.09.2015 15:02
Pedestrian Crossings [misc complaints] mark Complaints corner 65 29.01.2008 11:14
Hello from just across the border emily_s Introductions 3 31.07.2007 10:26
Hi from across the border! john mark Introductions 3 09.05.2007 22:44
Border crossings Anjela Complaints corner 4 18.05.2006 19:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0