Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.06.2015, 14:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Geneva
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
bge0 has no particular reputation at present
Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Hello,

I know this question has been asked a lot. But we are in a slight dilemma.
I am an Italian citizen who has really never lived in Italy and have an American wife.

We jointly applied for our permits (under reunification) about 4 months ago. We decided to come to Geneva to tour around Europe for a while before I start working. Due to some delays I only JUST got my B permit. However, when talking to the cantonal office they stated that my wife's permit would take a 'few more months'. My wife came here with her US passport (as a tourist) expecting our paperwork to be done.

At this point what are our options? Would she have to leave the country? Could I get dual apartments in France and Switzerland and have her stay there?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.06.2015, 14:23
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,568
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,021 Times in 8,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I know this question has been asked a lot. But we are in a slight dilemma.
I am an Italian citizen who has really never lived in Italy and have an American wife.

We jointly applied for our permits (under reunification) about 4 months ago. We decided to come to Geneva to tour around Europe for a while before I start working. Due to some delays I only JUST got my B permit. However, when talking to the cantonal office they stated that my wife's permit would take a 'few more months'. My wife came here with her US passport (as a tourist) expecting our paperwork to be done.

At this point what are our options? Would she have to leave the country? Could I get dual apartments in France and Switzerland and have her stay there?

Thanks.
At this point what are our options?
Hope that it gets sorted out quickly. Or go to the UK for a while until her permit is ready. The UK isn't in the Schengen area.

Would she have to leave the country?
Yes. If you're coming here from the States then she needs a Type D visa to enter Switzerland long term legally anyway and she has to apply for that in the States.

Could I get dual apartments in France and Switzerland and have her stay there?
No, because her status as a tourist applies to the whole of the Schengen area and not just Switzerland. So she's only allowed to stay in the Schengen area for 3 months max.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.06.2015, 14:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Geneva
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
bge0 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

So if she leaves to goto the UK (I have family she can stay with there) then she can come back when the permit is ready?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.06.2015, 15:56
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,568
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,021 Times in 8,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Yes. Because the UK isn't part of the Schengen Area she can stay up to 3 months here as a tourist and then go to the UK for another 3 months as a tourist. She might also be able to apply for the Type D visa at the Swiss embassy there. Worth checking on and obviously not as expensive as having to fly back to the States to apply and wait for it there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.06.2015, 16:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Geneva
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
bge0 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Because the UK isn't part of the Schengen Area she can stay up to 3 months here as a tourist and then go to the UK for another 3 months as a tourist. She might also be able to apply for the Type D visa at the Swiss embassy there. Worth checking on and obviously not as expensive as having to fly back to the States to apply and wait for it there.
Thank you very much! I will update this thread with the results of this endeavor !
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.06.2015, 16:22
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,568
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,021 Times in 8,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Yes, please do because it's always useful to have people's actual experiences when dealing with the various cantons/communes in Switzerland. They do vary in how they deal with these things.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 19.06.2015, 16:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 99
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 57 Posts
jhm3 is considered knowledgeablejhm3 is considered knowledgeablejhm3 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Because the UK isn't part of the Schengen Area she can stay up to 3 months here as a tourist and then go to the UK for another 3 months as a tourist. She might also be able to apply for the Type D visa at the Swiss embassy there. Worth checking on and obviously not as expensive as having to fly back to the States to apply and wait for it there.
Indeed, and visitors to the UK can stay there for up to six months (rather than three, as in Schengen), which hopefully is way more than enough time for the permit to come through ...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.06.2015, 16:40
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,568
Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,021 Times in 8,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spouse of an EU citizen (who is non-EU) reunification

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, and visitors to the UK can stay there for up to six months (rather than three, as in Schengen), which hopefully is way more than enough time for the permit to come through ...
Guess the State Department hasn't updated their info then.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...d-kingdom.html
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-EU spouse of EU Citizen with Residency habib Permits/visas/government 17 22.12.2013 22:10
Non-EU spouse of EU Citizen w/ Job Offer tdbrock Permits/visas/government 1 08.10.2013 19:51
A non-EU resident, and spouse of EU Citizen doctor2181 Permits/visas/government 11 29.11.2011 01:33
Non-EU spouse of an EU citizen + C permit holder tuteca Permits/visas/government 48 05.09.2011 19:04
Cross-border permit for non-EU spouse of EU citizen anrtay Permits/visas/government 6 02.10.2009 10:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0