Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27.06.2015, 17:57
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: canada
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jonmart has no particular reputation at present
B or C permit for a Special case

Dear all,

I have a special case: I'm Canadian, but both my parents and my sibling are Swiss citizens - don't bother asking how that happened.

I want to re-join my family in Switzerland but have found that there's no family re-unification policy in the country. I can't get a residence permit or any other type of immigration permit b-c I'm an adult and not eligible for those. So I would like to try to get a B permit or a C permit at least. I think with my whole family being Swiss, except for me, I would have a good case to get at least a B permit? That's all I want really, I'd be happy with the ability to work and stay with my family. I'm not asking for immigration or anything.

I tried contacting the immigration office in Geneva about my case but they haven't responded to my queries. Should I get a lawyer? Is my case strong enough that I don't need a lawyer? Any guidance on how I can at least get a B permit would be appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote
Old 27.06.2015, 18:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,296
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,079 Times in 9,141 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B or C permit for a Special case

You should contact the nearest Swiss embassy/consulate to you and see what they say.

There is family reunification in place - it would be similar to this I think.


So if you're over 21 then you don't qualify I'm afraid.

If you're over 22 then I doubt you have any possibility if your parents didn't register your birth abroad when you were born. Here is the criteria for simplified naturalisation.


Otherwise, sorry, but family or no, if you can't get an employer to sponsor you for a permit then you can't get one. As a non-EU national the only way to get a permit is to get a job here or to be so independently wealthy that you don't need to work. For any employer to be able to hire you, they have to show they can't find a Swiss/EU national who could do the job.

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with German translation for residence permit in case of language course enroll Gaggiol0 Permits/visas/government 9 10.05.2012 11:14
Special restuarants or hotels or spas in Bern region? hollisterb Entertainment & dining 1 05.01.2012 12:36
Swiss Passport Special Case saluvava Permits/visas/government 13 13.07.2011 11:20
Does CH require a special permit for operating Snowmobiles? cowism Transportation/driving 6 30.10.2010 21:26
Special reunification case Johnah Permits/visas/government 1 19.10.2010 18:19

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0