Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.08.2015, 14:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,020
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
C permits have to be renewed?

C permits arrived for the whole family today, YEEEEES! However, it says "Contrôle dans 5 ans". Does this mean one has to reapply in 5 years' time or they are checking you out in 5 years' time, or something else? I thought the C permit was permanent. Anyone has had the same on their C permit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.08.2015, 15:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,754
Groaned at 281 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 17,246 Times in 6,055 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

It needs to be renewed after 5 years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.08.2015, 04:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 788
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 760 Times in 373 Posts
Noth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of many
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Your Commune/Gemeinde will send you a reminder to show up to renew them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.08.2015, 06:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
C permits arrived for the whole family today, YEEEEES! However, it says "Contrôle dans 5 ans". Does this mean one has to reapply in 5 years' time or they are checking you out in 5 years' time, or something else? I thought the C permit was permanent. Anyone has had the same on their C permit?
It is basically to check you are still around and present in Switzerland, specifically in that location. Otherwise a C-permit is a permanent/settlement permit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 18.08.2015, 09:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,047
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,723 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
C permits arrived for the whole family today, YEEEEES! However, it says "Contrôle dans 5 ans". Does this mean one has to reapply in 5 years' time or they are checking you out in 5 years' time, or something else? I thought the C permit was permanent. Anyone has had the same on their C permit?
Everyone's C permit says the same: it just means that you need to get it renewed in 5 years time, ie: update the photo and of course cough up the fee again.

But now you'll get fast-tracked through the system at the Controle Habitants offices, no more queuing with the B permit riff-raff!
Don't forget that you alsoneed to get it changed if your circumstances alter (moving to a new address for example) and pay yet again for the privilege.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.08.2015, 09:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,020
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Everyone's C permit says the same: it just means that you need to get it renewed in 5 years time, ie: update the photo and of course cough up the fee again.

But now you'll get fast-tracked through the system at the Controle Habitants offices, no more queuing with the B permit riff-raff!
Don't forget that you alsoneed to get it changed if your circumstances alter (moving to a new address for example) and pay yet again for the privilege.




Aouch! We are moving, still to the same village, 2 streets away in May next year...do you mean we'll have to cough up the fees again?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.08.2015, 09:21
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,235
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,931 Times in 4,176 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Your Commune/Gemeinde will might send you a reminder to show up to renew them.
FTFY.

OP - best to follow-up when you get close to the renewal dates. Some Kantons/Communes/Gemeindes are more efficient than others...

Quote:
View Post
Aouch! We are moving, still to the same village, 2 streets away in May next year...do you mean we'll have to cough up the fees again?
IIRC you'll need to get the address changed, which of course, will carry a fee. Last time I did this (a while ago mind) they simply replaced the address side (not photo side) of the paper document. However, it does vary: if you are non EU you get a credit card style ID; if you are EU you have the paper one (annoyingly), so updates will be handled differently depending on what type you have.

But you can rest assured, there will be a fee.
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.08.2015, 09:22
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,215
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Aouch! We are moving, still to the same village, 2 streets away in May next year...do you mean we'll have to cough up the fees again?
We had the same, moved within a month of getting the new permits .

The address change fee was less though, something like 20 CHF (per permit, of course!) I think.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.08.2015, 09:46
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,483
Groaned at 180 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 17,863 Times in 7,561 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
We had the same, moved within a month of getting the new permits .

The address change fee was less though, something like 20 CHF (per permit, of course!) I think.
That was the same for us. 20chf for change of address.
OH and son's permits were due for renewal shortly after our move and the very nice lady in the commune said she'd update ur address in their system but to wait until we sent off their permits for renewal before updating the address on mine as if they did mine they'd do them all and that would have meant paying for a very short time for them. Saved us 40chf which is not to be sneezed at.
They don't change the photo here for permit renewal ( even from B to C) just the paper bit on the right and our son is stuck with the photo of himself aged 10 which doesn't please him much.

Just got the invitation to renew my B permit here ( which automatically means a C permit here) will see how long it takes to get the new one back.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18.08.2015, 10:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,047
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,723 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

I can't remember what the change of address fee is in Geneva as it's a while since I've had to do it; #1 son's moving in October so I'll try and remember to check with him then. It's quite possibly 20 francs as elsewhere, I just remember there being a fee.
I do know that a couple of weeks after #1 son's last move his permit got damp for some reason and the address page ended up a bit creased looking. They wanted him to pay again to replace the whole ruddy permit! Which he simply refused to do and continued using the damaged one.

@BM, the pictures in my boys permits were definitely changed several times as they grew older, otherwise a pair of thirty+ men would now be walking around with images of themselves as toddlers in their C permits!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.08.2015, 10:23
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
They don't change the photo here for permit renewal ( even from B to C) just the paper bit on the right and our son is stuck with the photo of himself aged 10 which doesn't please him much..
You can request the photo be changed if you so desire, they might accept and change it. Mine was not going to be changed when I went to renew it, but I received contradictory information from the town hall on a previous visit, hence me getting a new photo done before my visit to collect it. The woman didn't want to put the new photo on, but soon changed her mind when I pointed out the photo side had to be changed as well as it had my previous name on it and I wanted that out of there, plus I needed to sign with my new name! If I hadn't have changed the photo side I would have had a permit with two different names on it, plus I would have had the photo done for nothing. Sometimes they don't know what they are doing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18.08.2015, 13:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,361
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,694 Times in 7,478 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
They don't change the photo here for permit renewal ( even from B to C) just the paper bit on the right and our son is stuck with the photo of himself aged 10 which doesn't please him much.
Do you have the paper or credit card format?

We (non-EU) have had credit card format for years now, but for our latest renewal had to do both new photos and fingerprints, as biometric data is now included. This was in SZ, by the way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.08.2015, 13:52
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,483
Groaned at 180 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 17,863 Times in 7,561 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Do you have the paper or credit card format?

We (non-EU) have had credit card format for years now, but for our latest renewal had to do both new photos and fingerprints, as biometric data is now included. This was in SZ, by the way.
We are EU so we have the stupid paper ones.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19.08.2015, 13:31
fromsiggenthal's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 347
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
fromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthy
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Do you have the paper or credit card format?

We (non-EU) have had credit card format for years now, but for our latest renewal had to do both new photos and fingerprints, as biometric data is now included. This was in SZ, by the way.
Hi,
do you need to be employed to have permit extended?

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19.08.2015, 15:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,401
Groaned at 107 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 1,476 Times in 856 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

do you need to be employed to have permit extended?



Regards

No. Only if one is fewer than 15yrs in CH but more than 2 years on social money then their C permit might get revoked. Or when jailed for a bigger crime.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20.08.2015, 07:19
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
do you need to be employed to have permit extended?

Regards
Quote:
View Post
No. Only if one is fewer than 15yrs in CH but more than 2 years on social money then their C permit might get revoked. Or when jailed for a bigger crime.
Hello. Do you have any link for the rules for rescinding of C-permits to back up what you have written? I had been looking recently and hadn't found anything too specific. I have heard nothing about this 15-rule before, I don't see how that works as you can be an a settlement permit-C after only 5 years here. You can also be on social welfare for 35 years if you really wanted to. All I managed to come across was a confirmation that Switzerland rescinds less than 20 C-permits per annum for the holders having committed extremely serious/violent crimes.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14.10.2015, 11:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Green form has just come through in the post (goodness, at first I thought it was an Ausfuhrschein!) for C-permit renewal. Very early indeed. Permit 'expires' 31.12.15, form itself is dated 2.10.15. I assume I can take it this afternoon to the Gemeinde and get it over with and they will do the rest.

I hope there's not some horrid new rule that I am totally unaware of whereby the renewal of the C-permit (EU/EFTA) can be refused, just because I am no longer employed. (I am not in receipt of unemployment benefit, nor do I receive social welfare benefit.)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14.10.2015, 12:17
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 8,286
Groaned at 323 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 13,759 Times in 6,051 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
Green form has just come through in the post (goodness, at first I thought it was an Ausfuhrschein!) for C-permit renewal. Very early indeed. Permit 'expires' 31.12.15, form itself is dated 2.10.15. I assume I can take it this afternoon to the Gemeinde and get it over with and they will do the rest.
Yes, should be fine, but remember to take your passport as well. (Although of course the form will have told you that).

Quote:
I hope there's not some horrid new rule that I am totally unaware of whereby the renewal of the C-permit (EU/EFTA) can be refused, just because I am no longer employed.
They won't even know, care, or ask you, about (un-)employment, so you shouldn't worry.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 14.10.2015, 14:04
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
They won't even know, care, or ask you, about (un-)employment, so you shouldn't worry.
It seems then, if I am not mistaken, that once on a C-permit, one can assume that one is 'home and dry' as it were, and that employment status from that moment on is no longer of the slightest relevance for one's right to remain, - after all, a C-permit is a 'settler's' permit. Even C-permit holders who are not married to Swiss nationals are free to remain.

And I assume any stories being bandied about on here by other users, about C-permits being rescinded if one isn't in full-time employment and/or if one is in receipt of any kind of benefits, are simply to be disregarded as rumours (or regarded as poor advice)...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.10.2015, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,903
Groaned at 222 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 5,335 Times in 2,028 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permits have to be renewed?

Quote:
View Post
They don't change the photo here for permit renewal ( even from B to C) just the paper bit on the right and our son is stuck with the photo of himself aged 10 which doesn't please him much.
We had to give new photos for all three of us
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have a contract, but don't have the right to be paid? Spatzli Employment 13 19.08.2015 18:37
Basel - How quickly Swiss passport could be renewed/issued Guest Permits/visas/government 11 13.10.2014 18:03
REALLY frustrated! Was told we would be receiving B permits and L permits showed up hopefulgenevaexpat Permits/visas/government 35 01.12.2012 20:18
how early can yearly B permits be renewed silent_listener Permits/visas/government 15 16.11.2009 15:18
Residence permits to be biometric magic Permits/visas/government 6 25.06.2009 15:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0