English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   UK marriage registration in Bern (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/239960-uk-marriage-registration-bern.html)

NDSpittal 06.09.2015 18:15

UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Good afternoon


I have been living in Switzerland for a number of years and recently went back home to get married. I will take my husbands surname and I am going to start the long and tedious process of changing my name everywhere.


I understand that to change my name at the Gemeinde, I need to have a new passport issued in my married name. Unfortunately I have flights booked in September and October under my maiden name, so kick starting that process will have to wait until the end of October.


Do you think it would be wise to go to the Gemeinde to register our marriage now? Or wait and register the marriage in November and process along with the name change?


As we'll have to do a joint tax return this year, I'm thinking it would be wiser to let the authorities know now.


Any advice or personal experiences you have are most welcome.

Medea Fleecestealer 06.09.2015 21:10

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
https://www.ch.ch/en/married-name/

Cata1yst 07.09.2015 11:27

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Congratulations!

We went to the "amt fur migration" in Zug with the UK marriage certificate (original). They took a photocopy then charged us for my wife's permit change via the post a few days later, no passport required. Took 5 minutes maximum along with the congratulations.

There's no reason why they won't accept this, you'll possibly pay more tax being married.

I guess if you wait they would back date the tax changes (single > married) to the date of marriage so one way or another you'll be paying more.

plumtree 07.09.2015 12:01

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDSpittal (Post 2445305)
I have been living in Switzerland for a number of years and recently went back home to get married. I will take my husbands surname and I am going to start the long and tedious process of changing my name everywhere.
I understand that to change my name at the Gemeinde, I need to have a new passport issued in my married name. Unfortunately I have flights booked in September and October under my maiden name, so kick starting that process will have to wait until the end of October.
Do you think it would be wise to go to the Gemeinde to register our marriage now? Or wait and register the marriage in November and process along with the name change?
As we'll have to do a joint tax return this year, I'm thinking it would be wiser to let the authorities know now.
Any advice or personal experiences you have are most welcome.

After more than 10 years here I changed my surname and removed a middle name in my home country and got a new passport thereafter (the other one was expired by about 3 years, so it made sense to do it). With the new passport I was able to change most things and eventually the C-permit (at first the Migrationsamt didn't do it, they lost the paperwork internally) through the Gemeinde, I now use the new name for everything in all countries.
Cost for name change in permit was around Fr.70.--.
Switzerland basically has to accept foreigners' name changes (once the foreigner can produce a valid identity document with the new name in), it is frowned upon, especially like in my case when forenames are involved or no marriage is being registered. But in your case, through marriage, there really shouldn't be any difficulty. I would simply start changing it where accepted without further proof (since you don't have it yet) and leave the rest until the end of October. The Gemeinde/Migrationsamt will act when you produce a new/updated passport, then they will change it in your permit for a standard update-of-permit fee. Thereafter you can change it with everything here where proof is required.

NDSpittal 08.09.2015 10:00

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Thanks guys. I am going to work from home tomorrow and pop along to the Gemeinde to see what's the story.


Hopefully our marriage certificate is enough to get my new Ausweis and I can start the passport process later.


Will keep this thread posted!

Sbrinz 08.09.2015 10:11

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Getting a UK passport delivered to Switzerland is expensive, and you might want to plan a visit to one of the UK passport centres and change the name in your passport soon after you are married. If you choose this, you need to make an appointment at the passport centre before arriving, and they will post the passport to a UK address when it is ready. So it all needs planning.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports

https://www.gov.uk/find-regional-passport-office

plumtree 08.09.2015 12:06

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbrinz (Post 2446084)
Getting a UK passport delivered to Switzerland is expensive, and you might want to plan a visit to one of the UK passport centres and change the name in your passport soon after you are married. If you choose this, you need to make an appointment at the passport centre before arriving, and they will post the passport to a UK address when it is ready. So it all needs planning.
https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports
https://www.gov.uk/find-regional-passport-office

Surely the cost of postage is less than the cost of a flight to France or the U.K.?

Guest 08.09.2015 12:52

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDSpittal (Post 2446080)
Hopefully our marriage certificate is enough to get my new Ausweis and I can start the passport process later.

I know that my wife (of seven years, at that point) still had her passport in her maiden name when she came over here and didn't change it until it expired. Was no problem to just use the marriage certificate to register under the correct name.

NDSpittal 20.09.2015 18:43

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Unfortunately in Bern, in order to update my Ausweis I first need to get a new passport. The marriage certificate wasn't enough. :(

3Wishes 20.09.2015 19:40

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDSpittal (Post 2452547)
Unfortunately in Bern, in order to update my Ausweis I first need to get a new passport. The marriage certificate wasn't enough. :(

I found the same to be true in Bern. When I moved here, I indicated on the registration paperwork what my name would be and gave them the marriage certificate. That's nice, they said, your permit is issued in the name on your passport. After your passport is changed, we'll re-issue the permit.

Same was true with my driver's license, btw. I was charged the full fee for the originals of both permit and DL, but when the new ones with the new name came there was a small fee for the permit. The DL change was free.

Guest 20.09.2015 22:13

Re: UK marriage registration in Bern
 
Hi


Congratulations on your marriage.


We went back to the UK to get married in August of this year. Anticipating problems of the red tape kind, I booked in for one of those 4 hour turn around passport appointments in Newport between getting married and coming back here (on the way to our honeymoon, actually!). I booked the appointment about 3 weeks in advance and the passport office people were very friendly and rather accommodating. An hour detour, a mooch around Newport (mostly ASDA) and a nap in a car park later, I had a new passport in my married name.


Back in Basel, I phoned the AMT people who basically said, let the Gemeinde know, they'll inform us and we'll act then. The lady I spoke to said I could, be all means, send them a scan of my marriage certificate anyway so that they had it for when I sent in another photo for my new permit. My permit in my maiden name is still valid. I phoned the Gemeinde and they were also happy to accept an emailed scan of the licence. As I'm the belt and braces type, I also emailed a scan of my current permit, and new passport to both offices.


Not sure that's much help to the OP but it may help someone else.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:18.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0