Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26.09.2015, 14:27
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,008
Groaned at 451 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 18,182 Times in 10,127 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit for my parent

View Post
So basically , my options to bring my parent are :
1. Get permit C , which means living 10 years in Switzerland , and then I'd be allowed to ask the Canton for a family reunification for a parent and not just kids or spouse.
2. Earn 500k per year .

In other words, it's impossible for my parent to move to Switzerland. That's really disappointing..

Thank you for the help.
No. Even with a C permit non-EU/EFTA nationals can only bring in their spouses and children under 18.


You would also have to prove that they are already financially dependent on you before the move.

It's extremely difficult (read almost impossible) to bring a parent here if you're a non-EU/EFTA national.
Reply With Quote
Old 26.09.2015, 15:36
Forum Legend
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,611
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 27,781 Times in 8,547 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit for my parent

View Post
haha she's actually got the Russian mind set more.
And why are you saying that? is there really that "cold" feeling in Switzerland?

In any case, she doesn't like it in Israel, and frankly I don't much either. Tough there are the positive sides, like the people, all are very friendly and always willing to help.
Coming back to Russia is not really an option, it really hasn't changed that much since the Soviet times in its 'core'. Also, engineers/programmers make very little money there.
We mostly are just looking for some nice calm place, where it's peaceful, and you can live decently, and would be a safe place to start a family for me.
A couple of comments based on my attempts to being a non-EU parent here. Obviously if your mother receives EU citizenship that is a game changer. But until then...

We had our C permits when we started the process, in our canton this did not make the application any easier.

In order for a non EU resident to bring a nonEU parent here that parent must be alone in the world with no one but the Swiss resident to care for him/her.

The non EU parent must be wholly dependent on the Swiss resident. Here I caution you about your idea of setting your mother up in business, as that could scuttle the dependency argument. Not to mention work permit issues.

At the time of application sufficient finances must be in place to cover the dependent parent's needs. In our case we had to show that we had, now, enough for the rest of the parent's expected lifetime, including medical costs. There had to be solid proof that the dependent parent would never become a tax burden, and had we brought FIL over we would have had to sign a guarantee to that effect.

Either yours or your mother's funds may be counted, but between you you must be able to show serious money. Do not forget to calculate expected medical and assisted living costs down the road, even if not needed now.

Your standing in the community, your record as a tax payer, might play a role in the decision.

The application is decided on an individual basis, there are few rules, rather interpretations by individual bureaucrats as to individual cases.

We live in a canton that is very reluctant to allow chain migration so the barriers were very high.

I have seen, though, that other friends have been successful basing their applications on compassionate grounds. Other cantons and Gemeinde may have a very different application process and make decisions from very different criteria. Even the same canton and Gemeinde might not treat two similar applications the same way.

An application based on compassionate grounds would likely have fallen on deaf ears in my canton, here the only thing that mattered was to prove that the canton would benefit from allowing the parent to live here.

But you will find that attitudes, to this and everything else, vary widely across the cantons. You will need to understand the thought processes in your Gemeinde and canton, and tailor your application from there.

The process can be long and drawn out. It could take a year or longer for a decision. We will never know the outcome of our application because FIL died in the interim, we then obviously withdrew the application.

A couple of other points:

The sponsoring resident had to be 'well integrated' i.e., able to speak German. European reference certificate accepted as proof.

Where we live few speak English... or if they do are not willing to speak it conversationally. One is expected to speak German, punkt fertig. Even the local doctor does not speak English, so that is another factor in bringing a parent over. Health care would have been a significant challenge for FIL, even though he had a smattering of half remembered childhood German.

As to the need for skilled workers...

Yes, many large global companies are claiming they need skilled workers... At the same time they are laying off their own employees in large numbers and moving jobs out of the country. IT is particularly affected. What these companies really mean when claiming that they cannot hire in Switzerland is that they want inexpensive skilled labor, not skilled labor at Swiss prices. Labor in Switzerland is simply far too expensive for many companies to compete in the global market.

Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei. The next years will be interesting times... As in the old Chinese curse.

Any non EU person coming over here should understand the reality of the employment situation today, and keep an exit plan in one's back pocket. Is it fair to bring an elderly parent here for what might be short term stay?

YMMV, as it always does in Switzerland. I hope you can find a solution that meets your mother's needs.

Last edited by meloncollie; 27.09.2015 at 04:46.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dependent Permit for Parent of non EU B permit holder shethneela Permits/visas/government 1 26.01.2011 21:39
Changing my job few months after receving my B permit alefsin Permits/visas/government 11 06.08.2007 17:44
L-Permit Visa-Parent's Visa-Duration eshpre Permits/visas/government 1 27.11.2006 14:11

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0