Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 31.01.2017, 00:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 714
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
I have very recently had mine, although not in Zürich. It was in High German. Lasted about 20 minutes.

Questions were pretty basic; dates of things such as school, university. Info on parents. How long have you been together with Spouse, when were you married. Do you plan to separate. Why do you want to be Swiss. Member of any clubs. Nothing on Switzerland.
Thank you!

This seems to be the pattern that I notice with facilitated cases; questions only about the relationship and nothing about the country and the workings of Switzerland.

I also heard that some people took their spouse along. Did you do that as well?
I plan on going alone.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 31.01.2017, 00:14
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,485
Groaned at 74 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 4,382 Times in 2,083 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
I also heard that some people took their spouse along. Did you do that as well?
I plan on going alone.
No. I asked when they phoned me if he should come, they said no.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 31.01.2017, 11:35
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
For those who had facilitated naturalisation: Do you remember the list of questions that were asked and how long was the interview?

Did you have it in swiss or high german? And could you in that case post your level of german? Mine is C1.

Would appreciate any information that could help with preparing for the interview. Thank you all in advance.
You need to specify exactly which Gemeinde you live in, because the form of interview/test differs so greatly. Then hopefully someone from there will answer.

The police got me out of bed early in the morning to give me a Switzerland quiz (politics, geography etc, in Swiss German) and look around my house. This is obviously quite a different experience from Island Monkey, yet we are both in the canton of Zurich.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 31.01.2017, 12:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 714
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
You need to specify exactly which Gemeinde you live in, because the form of interview/test differs so greatly. Then hopefully someone from there will answer.

The police got me out of bed early in the morning to give me a Switzerland quiz (politics, geography etc, in Swiss German) and look around my house. This is obviously quite a different experience from Island Monkey, yet we are both in the canton of Zurich.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I see what you mean, that it varies, but I am not limiting myself to one area, that is why I want to know every individual experience.

What was your level of German then?

Also, as I noticed from Island Monkey and others who wrote to me, that it is not a must to have a police visit, as that usually takes place before the interview - to the best of my knowledge that is. You had it, and two others did not. Neither did I btw.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 31.01.2017, 13:19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I see what you mean, that it varies, but I am not limiting myself to one area, that is why I want to know every individual experience.

What was your level of German then?

Also, as I noticed from Island Monkey and others who wrote to me, that it is not a must to have a police visit, as that usually takes place before the interview - to the best of my knowledge that is. You had it, and two others did not. Neither did I btw.
I have a B2 certificate from 4-5 years ago. I'd like to think it has improved since then

I would prepare for the unexpected and hope for a prearranged interview. So brush up on some basic geography and politics (be able to name people and places). I wasn't asked about history, but with hindsight I would have still memorized some of the obvious dates in case.

I wasn't prepared as the surprise inspection came only a month after I started my application and I was expecting at least 6 months before they got around to me. It was only 9 months from the date of application to receiving notification of my successful application, much faster than I had been led to expect.

The worst part was paying 765CHF for a letter which could have simply said "no".
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 31.01.2017, 14:30
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,485
Groaned at 74 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 4,382 Times in 2,083 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
I have very recently had mine, although not in Zürich.
Quote:
View Post
This is obviously quite a different experience from Island Monkey, yet we are both in the canton of Zurich.
i'm definitely not in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
The worst part was paying 765CHF for a letter which could have simply said "no".
... now I'm freaking out!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 31.01.2017, 15:00
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
i'm definitely not in Zürich
My mistake, as the thread was about the process in Zurich I made an incorrect assumption.

Is the cost of facilitated naturalisation much different in Wallis? I assumed that was a Federal charge that applied for us all?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 31.01.2017, 15:08
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,485
Groaned at 74 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 4,382 Times in 2,083 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
My mistake, as the thread was about the process in Zurich I made an incorrect assumption.

Is the cost of facilitated naturalisation much different in Wallis? I assumed that was a Federal charge that applied for us all?
No, it's the same. It said 750chf on the application.... I'm freaking out that I might pay it for nothing
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 31.01.2017, 16:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 714
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
I have a B2 certificate from 4-5 years ago. I'd like to think it has improved since then

I would prepare for the unexpected and hope for a prearranged interview. So brush up on some basic geography and politics (be able to name people and places). I wasn't asked about history, but with hindsight I would have still memorized some of the obvious dates in case.

I wasn't prepared as the surprise inspection came only a month after I started my application and I was expecting at least 6 months before they got around to me. It was only 9 months from the date of application to receiving notification of my successful application, much faster than I had been led to expect.

The worst part was paying 765CHF for a letter which could have simply said "no".
I know, they always tell you it can last up to 2 years. I guess it is longer in a big city, and in your case faster, as you are I am guessing in a smaller city or area.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 31.01.2017, 16:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 714
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
No, it's the same. It said 750chf on the application.... I'm freaking out that I might pay it for nothing
Yeah, this part I find weird as well. I assumed this payment was after whatever form of interview and checks and then receiving a letter that all went well, please pay upfront so you can get the small booklet.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 31.01.2017, 20:56
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,670
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,940 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
No, it's the same. It said 750chf on the application.... I'm freaking out that I might pay it for nothing
You won't pay it for nothing. That's the letter that says you've received approval from the feds, and barring any protests filed you'll be officially Swiss in about 30-60 days. So do not refuse that letter!

Edit - AFAIK you have to pay cash or debit card at the Post to get the letter. So take that and not just your credit card, even if the CC is with PostFinance.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 31.01.2017, 21:21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
You won't pay it for nothing. That's the letter that says you've received approval from the feds, and barring any protests filed you'll be officially Swiss in about 30-60 days. So do not refuse that letter!

Edit - AFAIK you have to pay cash or debit card at the Post to get the letter. So take that and not just your credit card, even if the CC is with PostFinance.
You are paying for the work done to assess your application, not for citizenship. So the answer can and has been for some no, even having paid. I was quite surprised when I found this out too. Made for a very nervous walk to the post office.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 31.01.2017, 21:53
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,670
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,940 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
You are paying for the work done to assess your application, not for citizenship. So the answer can and has been for some no, even having paid. I was quite surprised when I found this out too. Made for a very nervous walk to the post office.
In the case of facilitated naturalization due to marriage, the odds of getting denied are very small. The officer that did my interview said they have to ask the questions and do the checks, but unless the marriage is a fraud or you're a criminal or drain on the social system, for the vast majority of people that letter is your preliminary approval. Stop scaring samali.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 31.01.2017, 22:57
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
In the case of facilitated naturalization due to marriage, the odds of getting denied are very small. The officer that did my interview said they have to ask the questions and do the checks, but unless the marriage is a fraud or you're a criminal or drain on the social system, for the vast majority of people that letter is your preliminary approval. Stop scaring samali.
Are you saying that for facilitated naturalisation the commune has no "veto"?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 31.01.2017, 23:20
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,670
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,940 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
Are you saying that for facilitated naturalisation the commune has no "veto"?
I'm not sure about the exact word veto. The way it was explained to me, by the officer that did my interview, is that they conduct the interview and write a report at the municipal level. The municipal and cantonal levels can express concern and give reasons why naturalization should not be granted, but the federal law is what applies to facilitated naturalization - therefore the federal authorities are the ones that make the final decision.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 31.01.2017, 23:55
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Zürich. C permit. Naturalisation

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure about the exact word veto. The way it was explained to me, by the officer that did my interview, is that they conduct the interview and write a report at the municipal level. The municipal and cantonal levels can express concern and give reasons why naturalization should not be granted, but the federal law is what applies to facilitated naturalization - therefore the federal authorities are the ones that make the final decision.
I looked it up and found the following link:
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...uergerung.html

So you are correct about it being a federal decision. It would seem that once you've received the first positive response you really should be fine. I am happy to stand corrected 😁
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
still need Permit B during naturalisation? abby0623 Permits/visas/government 24 03.12.2014 12:43
From Student Permit B to Marriage-Naturalisation? life_is_nice Permits/visas/government 4 25.01.2014 12:30
Question regarding Submitting Naturalisation Application and New Naturalisation Law ldfire10035 Permits/visas/government 12 14.06.2013 15:41
Zürich naturalisation law change?? sam ali Permits/visas/government 20 10.01.2013 23:04
C-permit or facilitated naturalisation ? lenna Permits/visas/government 4 17.08.2010 15:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0