Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07.03.2016, 16:46
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Othello has no particular reputation at present
Freezing permit for studies


As a C-permit holder I am allowed to freeze my permit for max. 4 years for studies. Anybody there who has practical experience, ie. has actually done this? Can you take your spouse and children with you and freeze their permits as well if only one of the parents study?

I understand you need to get a form from your Gemeinde, fill it and return it with supporting documentation. Will an acceptance letter from the school be enough?
Please, what kind of documentation is required at this stage?

Will the permit freeze be only for the duration of the course, ie. you need to provide the Gemeinde the details of the course (duration etc.).

If the course takes about 3 years will they first approve a freeze of only two years and then you can apply to extend if you have not completed your course yet? Do you need to provide some documentation for this extension?

Then upon returning back to Switzerland before your freeze expires, do you just go to your Gemeinde and get your permit back. Do you need to show the Gemeinde some results of your studies?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Old 08.03.2016, 08:21
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,446
Groaned at 418 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 17,492 Times in 9,809 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freezing permit for studies

Can't help with any personal experience, but moving abroad for further education is an accepted reason for putting a permit on hold.

As for your questions, best to ask your gemeinde admin office as they're the ones who'll say yes or no to putting your permits on hold. Tell them what you plan to do and see what they say before you commit to signing up for the course or filling in the application form for holding the permit/s.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freezing a C permit nicnac Permits/visas/government 1 28.02.2016 18:16
Health Insurance when freezing a C permit nicnac Insurance 1 28.02.2016 17:47
Leaving Switzerland for studies with valid B-permit. What to expect? Elmo7 Permits/visas/government 7 22.06.2015 17:20
Permit for job search after studies with change of canton ubiawl-ch Permits/visas/government 2 25.02.2013 18:26
Swiss Permit for Studies annafelix Permits/visas/government 0 05.08.2009 16:12

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0