Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 16.06.2021, 13:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,586
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,382 Times in 18,114 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
If - when we do return - we are checked at the border (not that unlikely as we have a GB licence plate), how likely is it that our length of absence will be an issue?
The GB plate alone is an issue.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16.06.2021, 13:39
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,143
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,853 Times in 8,394 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
I always wonderd that. How the hell do they know if you are in the country or not (of couse there are means of checking like going through the bank statements, passport check at the airport but do they really waste investigatory resources to check on everyone on a constant basis?)
Neighbors can be nosy. Earlier this year I bumped into "the old guy" in our building. I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. He asked if we had been on vacation, as our car had not moved.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16.06.2021, 14:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 96
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 54 Posts
CliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeable
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

There are plenty of older people at home most of the day, who watch all the comings and goings, who then gossip to others about what they interpret to be happening. I could hear a conversation yesterday happening a few buildings away, where 2 men were speculating when someone would die, as they'd noticed Spitex coming twice a day to bring medication. They then speculated over when the flat would be available for rent afterwards. They went on to discuss a story 1 of them had heard about another neighbour. They then discussed someone's lights being on all night routinely.



These sorts of people are always on the look-out for people moving a lot of stuff in, or out, of the building, seeing strangers staying over in a building, or not seeing someone for a while, checking why lights are on, or why they're off, and they gossip to everyone they can about what they believe to be going on.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CliiniMuus for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 16.06.2021, 15:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 479
Groaned at 41 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 583 Times in 177 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
I was told B permit restrictions were that you need to be in Switzerland for 180 days in any 365 period, so it doesn't reset (and it's not calendar year).



Would you mind sharing who actually told you this?

I asked immigration lawyers, tax lawyers, scanned Swiss government documents, called immigration offices, posted on EF and could never get a clear, confirmed, definitive answer on this.

What you say makes logical sense but no one could actually put their hand on the heart and confirm exactly how days were calculated.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 16.06.2021, 17:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
zabuzel has no particular reputation at present
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
Neighbors can be nosy. Earlier this year I bumped into "the old guy" in our building. I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. He asked if we had been on vacation, as our car had not moved.
I am very much aware of that. But do you know any examples where the neighbours actually reported the absence of foreigners? or of authorities coming to question them? Like is that a common practice?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16.06.2021, 17:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 96
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 54 Posts
CliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeable
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

I haven't observed a distinction between foreigners and locals. I've known both be reported.



I have a few examples of people having contacted whichever government group to report their presumption as fact. They seem to be careful to call it a wellfare check or safety check.



I've known a few people be reported to Abfall Amt either because "it must be them", or because they moved smelly rubbish or rubbish that was in the way (and put out on the wrong day), and were then assumed to have been "caught red-handed".


I know of a European having been reported to Migrationsamt "out of concern" for having a L permit, "which must be fake, or they are up-to-something, as all Europeans have a B permit", and refusing to engage in a discussion about their permit with this stranger.



I've known people be reported to their landlords, because "the dumped rubbish outside must be from them".


I've known an old person report anyone putting their bike temporarily somewhere that the old person disagrees with to the police.



Don't imagine the gossips I mentioned stop at gossiping. Their intentions are nefarious. They don't present their guess-work as anything but fact, even though they have no clue what's going on.



I had a conversation with someone earlier, who moans often (justifiably) about their neighbour, who lives on the ground floor above the cellar, and, whenever the person I know is in the cellar, the neighbour comes to see what they are doing. The same neighbour then gives a report to the landlord about their comings and goings.


The person I know said they were looking out from their balcony early this morning, and saw the neighbour on the ground floor quietly watching a group of painters from their balcony, to see what they were doing.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CliiniMuus for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 17.06.2021, 10:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
zabuzel has no particular reputation at present
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
I haven't observed a distinction between foreigners and locals. I've known both be reported.



I have a few examples of people having contacted whichever government group to report their presumption as fact. They seem to be careful to call it a wellfare check or safety check.



I've known a few people be reported to Abfall Amt either because "it must be them", or because they moved smelly rubbish or rubbish that was in the way (and put out on the wrong day), and were then assumed to have been "caught red-handed".


I know of a European having been reported to Migrationsamt "out of concern" for having a L permit, "which must be fake, or they are up-to-something, as all Europeans have a B permit", and refusing to engage in a discussion about their permit with this stranger.



I've known people be reported to their landlords, because "the dumped rubbish outside must be from them".


I've known an old person report anyone putting their bike temporarily somewhere that the old person disagrees with to the police.



Don't imagine the gossips I mentioned stop at gossiping. Their intentions are nefarious. They don't present their guess-work as anything but fact, even though they have no clue what's going on.



I had a conversation with someone earlier, who moans often (justifiably) about their neighbour, who lives on the ground floor above the cellar, and, whenever the person I know is in the cellar, the neighbour comes to see what they are doing. The same neighbour then gives a report to the landlord about their comings and goings.


The person I know said they were looking out from their balcony early this morning, and saw the neighbour on the ground floor quietly watching a group of painters from their balcony, to see what they were doing.
Geez, sounds like you are living in our building, we have a neighbour exactly like that, she used to follow us in the basement to check if we were closing the doors and turning the lights off and God knows what other suspicions she had. She constantly compalined to our landlord that we did this and that, she always got laughed at and our landlord even told us that she is a bit "special". But apparently this wasn't only with us foreigners, she was equally annoying with the Swiss as well. Until she was approached directly by our neighbours and dealt with in a very direct and honest way. She stopped ever since. We barely see her anymore hahah.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17.06.2021, 10:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 479
Groaned at 41 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 583 Times in 177 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Our neighbor took a ruler to all the tied paper bundles of our house on paper trash day to measure whether they were all within the proper number of centimeters thickness as documented in local gemeinde's recycling instructions.

(Not that the people collecting the bundles ever noticed or cared.)

When they were a couple of centimeters off, she went through the papers to see look for names and put the bundle of papers she opened back on our doorstep.

Now we have to shred everything because we can't trust her not to go through our paper recycling.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank makeabigwish for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 17.06.2021, 12:04
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,999
Groaned at 449 Times in 343 Posts
Thanked 22,278 Times in 11,530 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
Our neighbor took a ruler to all the tied paper bundles of our house on paper trash day to measure whether they were all within the proper number of centimeters thickness as documented in local gemeinde's recycling instructions.

(Not that the people collecting the bundles ever noticed or cared.)

When they were a couple of centimeters off, she went through the papers to see look for names and put the bundle of papers she opened back on our doorstep.

Now we have to shred everything because we can't trust her not to go through our paper recycling.
I used to put badly rapped papers in the container at my old flat, knowing there were no names on anything & the nosy neighbour would spend hours trying to find the culprit
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 26.06.2021, 13:07
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central
Posts: 216
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 82 Times in 51 Posts
wheatism has made some interesting contributions
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

Quote:
View Post
You can be out of the country for up to 6 months before your permit becomes invalid. No need to inform anyone.
Get the post office to either forward your mail or hold it for you until you return. Make sure your monthly bills get paid though.
Can I be travelling (COVID safely) and so not have a fixed Swiss address? I am considering a break, moving out of my permanent place here and travelling Europe but still employed by my Swiss employer on a B permit; and still paying taxes, health insurance, mobile phone etc as normal in Switzerland... just not in a fixed place for rent payments.

I would not be away for more than 2 months.... and some of that might be travelling around Switzerland.

This is the new "work from anywhere" model, although paying Swiss taxes, health insurance etc...

Last edited by wheatism; 26.06.2021 at 13:08. Reason: added permit details
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 27.06.2021, 16:30
sva's Avatar
sva sva is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: V/G, FR
Posts: 1,067
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 821 Times in 407 Posts
sva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B Permit: How long can you spend outside the country?

https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...e-country.html

The above (similar) thread might help. However, I have still not found a clear answer to "six months per year vs. maximum abscence of six months".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sva for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Naturalization- How long can you be out of the country? nel15 Permits/visas/government 6 01.09.2010 16:52
How long can you stay after your L permit has expired? Jejejeah Permits/visas/government 18 08.03.2010 12:54
How long can i stay in my home country with a B permit ssuarez1081 Permits/visas/government 8 13.01.2010 23:04
how long can an EU citizen permit C holder stay outside of switzerland? mrs.roublev Permits/visas/government 9 28.07.2009 17:32
How long one can stay outside switzerland and come back chandra.gp Permits/visas/government 0 05.05.2008 15:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0